+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign worker in Canada with a job offer

Takiii

Oct 18, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm a foreigner who came to Canada to visit my cousin and his family. Meanwhile I applied and got a job offer. Now I don't know what to do if i want to work here in the future. Is the job offer enough for me to be able to get a work permit? Some people said that the only thing i have to do is to take a trip to the border, and back. Is this enough?

Thanks,

Attila

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Where are you from? What is the job?

Chances are the job offer is not enough. It's likely the employer must obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion before you can qualify for a work permit.

However if you're American and the job falls under NAFTA, then you may not need an LMO.

We need more info to give you a complete answer.

Takiii

Oct 18, 2013
scylla said:
Where are you from? What is the job?

Chances are the job offer is not enough. It's likely the employer must obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion before you can qualify for a work permit.

However if you're American and the job falls under NAFTA, then you may not need an LMO.

We need more info to give you a complete answer.
From Europe. It's a mechanic job (auto dismantler). I'm a motorcycle mechanic.

Thank you for your answer!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMO before you can apply for a work permit:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

sidejacker

Sep 11, 2013
Takiii said:
From Europe. It's a mechanic job (auto dismantler). I'm a motorcycle mechanic.

Thank you for your answer!
From which part of Europe are you from. If you're from a visa exempt country you can flagpole at a nearest border. Just bring your job offer letter, contract, LMO and your travel documents. Since your job has nothing to do with healthcare or being with children, you won't need a medical exam from DMP. However, if you think it's best to have medical exam. Just make an appointment for an upfront medical exam with a DMP nearest you. Hope this helps.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sidejacker said:
From which part of Europe are you from. If you're from a visa exempt country you can flagpole at a nearest border. Just bring your job offer letter, contract, LMO and your travel documents. Since your job has nothing to do with healthcare or being with children, you won't need a medical exam from DMP. However, if you think it's best to have medical exam. Just make an appointment for an upfront medical exam with a DMP nearest you. Hope this helps.
Except that he doesn't have an LMO yet. Only a job offer.

sidejacker

Sep 11, 2013
scylla said:
Except that he doesn't have an LMO yet. Only a job offer.
Hi,
Posted that to let him/her know what documents are needed and just so he can request'em all from his prospective employer. I know that eh.

Takiii

Oct 18, 2013
sidejacker said:
Yeah, I can flagpole IF i have all the papers. I don't think they have LMO, but I'll ask them about it. They have been advertising this job for more than a month now, hopefully the can obtain one.