+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

foreign worker at point of entry, what to expect?

thanksGod

Nov 10, 2013
Hi guys, I will be flying to Canada with my spouse as a temporary foreign worker soon. What is the process like at the point of entry? What documents do we need to show to the immigration officer? Please contribute and share your experience (may it be good or bad). Thanks.

mrFoce

Star Member
Oct 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
03-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-01-2014
What do you mean? Do you already have the visa?

I flew many times with my work permit and basically all they ask if: still working there and what are you doing there.
Some might ask about details from employer (all things you will know if you are actually working there so no worries).

Other times I got through in 30 seconds :p

thanksGod

Nov 10, 2013
mrFoce said:
What do you mean? Do you already have the visa?

I flew many times with my work permit and basically all they ask if: still working there and what are you doing there.
Some might ask about details from employer (all things you will know if you are actually working there so no worries).

Other times I got through in 30 seconds :p
Thanks for sharing, it will be my first time so I have no experience working in Canada. But my duties were listed in my contract so I guess I can mention them.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
You should read the threads on "landing experiences" on this forum. There are several heavily populated threads.

Some people have described each step by counter to counter.

But basically you fill a form while being in the plane near landing, then move to passport control / immigration etc. You should have a list of items you are taking along, indicate financial amount if it is over 10k CAD that you are carrying, plus a list of goods to follow if any.

You should have all basic items like passport (with visa), work permit approval's "Letter of introduction", job offer, contract, LMO and better have contact info of your employer i.e. address and phone number. Who knows they might like to call over for confirmation OR at least ask if you know exactly where you would be going etc.

If going into Quebec, you should also have a CAQ along.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Here is a master thread attempting to collect most of those threads.

Although most of them are for PR candidates, but things are not much different except the above docs that i mentioned. Also it helps to know that if you are asked your intention of stay in Canada, you would say "Temp" if you are a temp worker and ideally should know your length of stay.

You might have intention to apply for PR latter, but this clarifies you have no doubts about your current status and have planned accordingly.

PR guys instead would say "permanent".

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/recent-unread-topics/-t164507.0.html;topicseen