+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign Experience Duration Confusion

jawadchoudary

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Alright i know what i am about to ask sounds like a silly question. But I think its better to clear doubts then to stay confused.
I have 1 year of foreign work experience and one year of Canadian work experience. For my foreign work experience, its start of 2nd May, 2014 and ends on 30th April, 2015. Now it is 1 days less than complete 1 year.
Do you think its considered 1 year or CIC has a different criteria to calculate the duration (like do they go for dates or they go for number of hours in total).
My employment was 40 hours per week.

jawadchoudary

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Alright, i guess i found the answer to this myself. that is if the work is equal to 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours) its considered 1 year full time.
Now the problem is that my employer is willing to mention that the employment is permanent and by permanent they mean its 40 hour per week. But he is not agreeing on writing the hours on the letter.
What should i do in response to that. He is not even willing to write fullll time, as per them permanent covers every thing and that what company's format is for the reference letter.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
jawadchoudary said:
Hi Everyone,

Alright i know what i am about to ask sounds like a silly question. But I think its better to clear doubts then to stay confused.
I have 1 year of foreign work experience and one year of Canadian work experience. For my foreign work experience, its start of 2nd May, 2014 and ends on 30th April, 2015. Now it is 1 days less than complete 1 year.
Do you think its considered 1 year or CIC has a different criteria to calculate the duration (like do they go for dates or they go for number of hours in total).
My employment was 40 hours per week.
They go by the calculation of 365 days in a year and 1560 Hrs (min for full time job) in that one year (not acceptable if achieved earlier).

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
jawadchoudary said:
Alright, i guess i found the answer to this myself. that is if the work is equal to 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours) its considered 1 year full time.
Now the problem is that my employer is willing to mention that the employment is permanent and by permanent they mean its 40 hour per week. But he is not agreeing on writing the hours on the letter.
What should i do in response to that. He is not even willing to write fullll time, as per them permanent covers every thing and that what company's format is for the reference letter.
Permanent doesn't mean full time. They need to mention both 'permanent' and 'full time' else CIC won't accept it.
For CIC full time means >=1560 Hrs. per year.

jawadchoudary

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
CanadaWeCome said:
Permanent doesn't mean full time. They need to mention both 'permanent' and 'full time' else CIC won't accept it.
For CIC full time means >=1560 Hrs. per year.
I agree with you as it is also written on CIC website.
What should i do then, as my employer is not kind enough to bend their rules. All i can do is get another reference letter from one of my colleagues and mention all that in it. Will that help? And then i can attach my own Letter of Explanation for all this?

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
jawadchoudary said:
I agree with you as it is also written on CIC website.
What should i do then, as my employer is not kind enough to bend their rules. All i can do is get another reference letter from one of my colleagues and mention all that in it. Will that help? And then i can attach my own Letter of Explanation for all this?
Try to persuade them to write the word permanent and full time or actual hrs of job per week or day or year.

Explain them if your job is actually permanent that whats the harm in writing that. Also if they don't want to write 40 hrs per week then ask them to write the actual hrs per week, they should not have any issue with that, if it's actually that many hrs. Also try to show (if possible and it's ok to divulge) them the CIC rules on their webpage.

If the above doesn't work, then check if your appointment letter/contract document has a mention of any of these (permanent & hrs of job). If yes, then they should not have any issue writing so in your reference letter else attach these documents along with an LoE to strengthen your case.

If all the above fail then resort to the last option of a college to write that letter (on a letter head if possible) for you and attach his visiting card along with his contact details, and S/he should be ready to vouch for you in case CIC investigates further.

Hope his helps...

candavisa

Oct 24, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my foreign work ref letter, its mentioned full time with 40 hours/week, will it be an issue if the word permanent is not mentioned?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
candavisa said:
In my foreign work ref letter, its mentioned full time with 40 hours/week, will it be an issue if the word permanent is not mentioned?
No.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
candavisa said:
Earlier there have been cases where CIC insisted on the word permanent and had asked for resubmission of the letter.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaWeCome said:
Earlier there have been cases where CIC insisted on the word permanent and had asked for resubmission of the letter.
That was (before Nov 19th changes) a requirement for a valid job offer for LMIA holders.

He certainly does not need the word permanent in his reference letter.

candavisa

Oct 24, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It was very difficult to get this letter, so I'll submit this and then will wait. The next draw has me on it 8)