• be valid (not expired)
Examples of ID you can use:

• biographical page of your passport or travel document
  • driver’s licence
  • health insurance card
  • senior citizen identification card
  • age of majority card
  • foreign identity document, such as a government-issued ID
If there is information on the front and back sides of the ID, upload both sides.

I do not have anything other than Passport (from my country), Alberta Health insurance card doesnt have a photo and I do not have a driver's license.

I have a lot of passport but only 1 is valid.
I think my parents might have an ID card from my country, will that be acceptable if they find it?
if not, do I HAVE TO apply for Alberta ID card before applying?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Your ID must
  • have your
    • name
    • photo
    • date of birth
    • signature
  • be valid (not expired)
Examples of ID you can use:

• biographical page of your passport or travel document
  • driver’s licence
  • health insurance card
  • age of majority card
  • foreign identity document, such as a government-issued ID
If there is information on the front and back sides of the ID, upload both sides.

I do not have anything other than Passport (from my country), Alberta Health insurance card doesnt have a photo and I do not have a driver's license.

I have a lot of passport but only 1 is valid.
I think my parents might have an ID card from my country, will that be acceptable if they find it?
if not, do I HAVE TO apply for Alberta ID card before applying?
For your citizenship grant application under 5(1), the following is what they're asking for :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

• photocopies of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
    Examples of identification you can use include:
    • a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document (as requested above and also can be one (1) of your pieces of personal identification)
    • permanent resident card (PR card)
      • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.
    • driver’s licence
    • health insurance card
    • age of majority card
    • foreign identity documents, such as a passport or government issued identification documents
  • Note: If there is information on both sides of the identification document, photocopy both sides.
I see no mention of a "photo" being a requirement. In this case, you can either use your health card and PR card.

Scottpark77

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
For your citizenship application, the following is what they're asking for :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

I see no mention of a "photo" being a requirement. In this case, you can either use your health card and PR card.

it does say photo on online application..

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
Ahh... Separate rules for online applications. This sucks.

Yeah in that case, I'd strongly recommend that you get your Alberta ID and then submit that along with your foreign passport. Good luck!
As I am working through the application- this is the biggest case ‘let the dog chase its tail’… provincially, you need a PR card to get Health ID Card, Driver’s license etc….so it’s recognized as ID, but the PR card can’t be used as ID on the Citizenship Application. I’m at a loss for that second piece of CDN ID….(my PR card is expired and I’m awaiting my renewed card and have been since the pandemic started, in order to get my provincial documents). I’ve got temporary docs, but nothing with photos and full ID requirements for the application. *sigh*

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
As I am working through the application- this is the biggest case ‘let the dog chase its tail’… provincially, you need a PR card to get Health ID Card, Driver’s license etc….so it’s recognized as ID, but the PR card can’t be used as ID on the Citizenship Application. I’m at a loss for that second piece of CDN ID….(my PR card is expired and I’m awaiting my renewed card and have been since the pandemic started, in order to get my provincial documents). I’ve got temporary docs, but nothing with photos and full ID requirements for the application. *sigh*
You can use your foreign passport and health card or foreign passport and driver's license or foreign passport and provincial identity card (like the Ontario Photo card) as ID. Don't you have your health card? You can contact the responsible provincial government's office (like ServiceOntario in Ontario) and see if you can get a photo ID or other proof of identity.