+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FOR PARENTS OF SCHOOL GOING KIDS

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have seen that a lot is written about the school admission and immunization forms, I do not want to add to it. My focus is to write about the day to day schooling in Canada.

Day to day study at school and at home:
I have 7th grade kid at home and I take notice of day to day activity in the school. There is no school book to follow. The teacher would take printout of books/ worksheet or make own material and give it to students. The students have to complete that in school and if unfinished can take to home. For these loose sheets one need folders. Walmart have such folders and it can be divided for all the subjects, It costs around $6. In addition of the sheets, worksheets and other projects would be posted on school websites, do visit it on regular basis. Here is the link :
http://myclass.peelschools.org/PDSBWS/wElementarySiteList.aspx?SchoolNumber=1114
for reference click on grade 7th and then on Ms Teachman and Mrs Phillips and you would see the various study material done upto this time in my kids class. For reference you would see that on various worksheets you would see that it is a copy of various books. It is difficult to find these books and it is not of much use also if one finds it, as they keep on changing material from different books. Nelson reference is also quite good to follow as an additional material.

PROJECT WORK :
Most of teachers will focus on project work through the years. It is to be presented in written form; it can be presented on power point slides. Grades are awarded for it. Good grades mean that to submit the work on time and no plagiarism. Plagiarism is dealt very strictly in Canadian education. One may pass and get degree/ diploma but if found in indulging plagiarism, it would be written on the degree/ diploma.

BOOKS REVIEW :
Kids are encouraged to read a book every month and write a review of 2-3 pages on that book. Including what they have learnt from that book and targeted readers. Grades are awarded for it. Summer time break or winter break , teachers would advise the kids to read books take out from neighborhood library. From Mississauga library one can borrow 50 books at one time for 21 days, books can be booked on line also to be picked up later on. http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/branchlibraries. Since the kids do not have much homework I will also suggest that the reading habit of kids should be encouraged.

CLUBS :
Clubs organizers would visit the class in between and make a presentation and would encourage children to join them, they have weekly/ biweekly / monthly activity, sometimes within the school hours and sometimes after it. Activities like musical instruments, singing, chess, drama, science club etc etc are on the list. There can be small charge for some of these activities.

SCHOOL LOCKER :
All school maintain lockers for students, sometimes shared. One need number lock for it. Buy number lock from the school itself as it is of good quality and can cost around $5-6. Gym clothes, snow boots, winter clothing can be stored in it. Tell your child to bring all the worksheets to home so that you would have good idea as to what is going on in his class.

ABSENT KIDS :
Schools have absentee line, and one have to call it to report about the kid if he is going to be absent. If it is not done by 11 am you would definitely be called by school administration to find the reason. Always update your phone number otherwise you would get a written notice or social worker would visit your home and that can be invitation to trouble.

INTERVIEW :
3-4 times in a school session there would be a interview ( parent teacher meeting). You would be given option of day and time, it is mostly after 6 pm. Kids result and plan for further progress would be shared by the class teacher.

SCHOOL BUS :
1. Is run by parents association, no cost and is mostly meant for kids upto grade 5 or disabled children.
MISC
1. Teachers know that it takes 1-2 years to adjust to Canadian education system. So they cooperate with you a lot.
2. No bullying allowed,.
3. Fights inside or outside school is taken seriously and goes into kids schooling history. Parents can be called to school even on minor fight. One way of punishing is detention of kids at school.
4. One have to buy Gym clothes- can buy from http://www.svpsports.ca/
5. Lined sheets for the folders can be bought from staples, walmart or sometimes in dollar stores.
6. One has to pay for school diary and for activities material.
7. It is recommended to go from extra class in school to upgrade English , if someone feel that the kid require it.
8. No free lunch in Canadian schools. For lunch kids can go home also.
9. No peanuts in school area allowed.
10. Reaching late to school means visiting school office before entering the class.
11. Kids , teachers stay in touch here http://twiducate.com/login.php

SUMMER VACATION :
Main Feature : Absolutely no homework.
Can send kid to Camp organized by neighbourhood services ( paid ), kids can join swimming ( paid), basketball classes( paid), spend time in public library, computer classes ( free) . Once your kid approaches the legal work age, it is recommended to let him work during summer. One can find summer work in amusement parks.

WISHING YOU HAPPY SCHOOLING FOR YOUR KID(S)

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
Re: FOR PARENTS WITH SCHOOL GOING KIDS

Thanks explorer.

Ig

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
Great job many thanks

Tinu

theshivster

Oct 7, 2010
Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2011
AOR Received.
17-05-2011
IELTS Request
sent with app 8.5 band score
File Transfer...
RBVO 21 June 2011 IN PROCESS 20 Jan 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
02.10.2012 (there is only one DMP here and we were waiting on new passports) Meds line added 19.11.12
Passport Req..
07.02.2013 sent 11.2.13 arrived 12.2.13
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Dated 28.02.2013 Canadian Address on Ecas 02.03.2013 Decision Made Sunday 03.03.2013
LANDED..........
Prinicipal Applicant Landed 14 May. The rest of us landed on 2.9.2013
Excellent post +1

seema.vashista

May 13, 2011
great information explorer
+1 for u
explorer101 said:
I have seen that a lot is written about the school admission and immunization forms, I do not want to add to it. My focus is to write about the day to day schooling in Canada.

Day to day study at school and at home:
I have 7th grade kid at home and I take notice of day to day activity in the school. There is no school book to follow. The teacher would take printout of books/ worksheet or make own material and give it to students. The students have to complete that in school and if unfinished can take to home. For these loose sheets one need folders. Walmart have such folders and it can be divided for all the subjects, It costs around $6. In addition of the sheets, worksheets and other projects would be posted on school websites, do visit it on regular basis. Here is the link :
http://myclass.peelschools.org/PDSBWS/wElementarySiteList.aspx?SchoolNumber=1114
for reference click on grade 7th and then on Ms Teachman and Mrs Phillips and you would see the various study material done upto this time in my kids class. For reference you would see that on various worksheets you would see that it is a copy of various books. It is difficult to find these books and it is not of much use also if one finds it, as they keep on changing material from different books. Nelson reference is also quite good to follow as an additional material.

PROJECT WORK :
Most of teachers will focus on project work through the years. It is to be presented in written form; it can be presented on power point slides. Grades are awarded for it. Good grades mean that to submit the work on time and no plagiarism. Plagiarism is dealt very strictly in Canadian education. One may pass and get degree/ diploma but if found in indulging plagiarism, it would be written on the degree/ diploma.

BOOKS REVIEW :
Kids are encouraged to read a book every month and write a review of 2-3 pages on that book. Including what they have learnt from that book and targeted readers. Grades are awarded for it. Summer time break or winter break , teachers would advise the kids to read books take out from neighborhood library. From Mississauga library one can borrow 50 books at one time for 21 days, books can be booked on line also to be picked up later on. http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/branchlibraries. Since the kids do not have much homework I will also suggest that the reading habit of kids should be encouraged.

CLUBS :
Clubs organizers would visit the class in between and make a presentation and would encourage children to join them, they have weekly/ biweekly / monthly activity, sometimes within the school hours and sometimes after it. Activities like musical instruments, singing, chess, drama, science club etc etc are on the list. There can be small charge for some of these activities.

SCHOOL LOCKER :
All school maintain lockers for students, sometimes shared. One need number lock for it. Buy number lock from the school itself as it is of good quality and can cost around $5-6. Gym clothes, snow boots, winter clothing can be stored in it. Tell your child to bring all the worksheets to home so that you would have good idea as to what is going on in his class.

ABSENT KIDS :
Schools have absentee line, and one have to call it to report about the kid if he is going to be absent. If it is not done by 11 am you would definitely be called by school administration to find the reason. Always update your phone number otherwise you would get a written notice or social worker would visit your home and that can be invitation to trouble.

INTERVIEW :
3-4 times in a school session there would be a interview ( parent teacher meeting). You would be given option of day and time, it is mostly after 6 pm. Kids result and plan for further progress would be shared by the class teacher.

SCHOOL BUS :
1. Is run by parents association, no cost and is mostly meant for kids upto grade 5 or disabled children.
MISC
1. Teachers know that it takes 1-2 years to adjust to Canadian education system. So they cooperate with you a lot.
2. No bullying allowed,.
3. Fights inside or outside school is taken seriously and goes into kids schooling history. Parents can be called to school even on minor fight. One way of punishing is detention of kids at school.
4. One have to buy Gym clothes- can buy from http://www.svpsports.ca/
5. Lined sheets for the folders can be bought from staples, walmart or sometimes in dollar stores.
6. One has to pay for school diary and for activities material.
7. It is recommended to go from extra class in school to upgrade English , if someone feel that the kid require it.
8. No free lunch in Canadian schools. For lunch kids can go home also.
9. No peanuts in school area allowed.
10. Reaching late to school means visiting school office before entering the class.
11. Kids , teachers stay in touch here http://twiducate.com/login.php

SUMMER VACATION :
Main Feature : Absolutely no homework.
Can send kid to Camp organized by neighbourhood services ( paid ), kids can join swimming ( paid), basketball classes( paid), spend time in public library, computer classes ( free) . Once your kid approaches the legal work age, it is recommended to let him work during summer. One can find summer work in amusement parks.

WISHING YOU HAPPY SCHOOLING FOR YOUR KID(S)

sofiajohns12

Sep 27, 2011
Ontario
App. Filed.......
26-09-2007
Doc's Request.
26-06-2010
Med's Done....
27-11-2010 and 18-12-2011
Interview........
26-10-2011
Passport Req..
17-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2012
Thanks explorer. that was an excellent post , u really deserve a + 1.

yrrej007

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
thanks explorer.. could you update what are the fees and expenses for a schoool going kid? i mean books and any other charges !

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yrrej007 said:
thanks explorer.. could you update what are the fees and expenses for a schoool going kid? i mean books and any other charges !
books : $0
education fee : $0
stationary, diary, project work material : $30- 100
school trips : $20-50-100
donations : as much as you wish

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mariasmythe said:
Why are you home schooling your 7th Grader?
I love to do it, so i am doing it and hope to continue with it. My parents also used to do it for me, most of parents from my country do it. Nothing bad with Canadian education system but I want to go little extra so that my kid can do quite well in his studies.

now

VIP Member
Aug 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
already sent
Nomination.....
[img]http://canflag.com/images/canflag/ani1/cf2.gif[/img]
AOR Received.
PER, 15.12.2011
IELTS Request
sent, 8 bands
Med's Request
Med's Done....
1.6.2012 Meds. delivered: 25.6.12. Meds.rec. line on ecas:29.7.12
Passport Req..
PPR 1 16.11.2012 :) DM:19.11 12 PPR 2:10.01.13
VISA ISSUED...
10.01.2013 :) Received, 7.02.13
LANDED..........
I loved reading your post. It's as if I am actually there. Thanks and God bless you. +1

yrrej007

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
thanx explorer

well about the
stationary, diary, project work material : $30- 100
school trips : $20-50-100

is it annually or monthly rates which you said ?

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
explorer101 said:
I love to do it, so i am doing it and hope to continue with it. My parents also used to do it for me, most of parents from my country do it. Nothing bad with Canadian education system but I want to go little extra so that my kid can do quite well in his studies.
Wonderful +1.How are you now brother

M

mariasmythe

I am currently home schooling my 6th Grader because I was dissapointed with the public school education system here (state school) and what subjects they expose children to which are not age appropriate or relevant. I found that bullying is very evident in public schools and if you are a Muslim in a public school, which have Muslims as a minority, then your child can be made to feel very isolated. So I prefer to bring my child up at home and have his education taught at home.