+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For how long can I extend my temporary Visitors Visa?

BaukjeBecka

Star Member
Jun 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-08-2010
Passport Req..
26-01-2011
So.. when you come into Canada while waiting for your PR with your partner, you stay in Canada as a visitor. I got a visitors visa for 6 months stamped into my passport. Now I'm waiting here in Alberta with my (Canadian) boyfriend for my PR to be processed -which for my CPC can take up to 15 months. (..pfew)
I already used up my work visa's on previous stays in Canada and therefore I want to extend my visitors visa.

So I am going through the instruction guide to help me fill in all the forms that are needed to do this.
Then.. question 10 of IMM 1249 asks me 'untill when I want to extend my stay in Canada'.. And the instruction guide does not explain much about this question..

My question: How long CAN I extend my stay in Canada? Just for another 6 months? Or could I just fill in e.g. 17 months, to be on the safe side and not have to leave Canada untill I get my PR.

If some one could help me with this, I would really appriciate it! :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can ask for whatever time you want, but six months and a year are common. Don't forget you can always apply to extend again.

BaukjeBecka

Star Member
Jun 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-08-2010
Passport Req..
26-01-2011
Thank you Baloo! :)

pradz

Feb 24, 2016
Baloo said:
You can ask for whatever time you want, but six months and a year are common. Don't forget you can always apply to extend again.
Hi Baloo,

The OP has asked this a while back but I wanted to check in reference to current scenario.
I have my fiance with a valid multiple entry trv stamped on her passport valid till the passport expiry date.
If she visits me now how long can she request an extension for ?

Thanks.