+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For FSW, do internship before graduation and job offer under PGWP count?

lvb125

May 11, 2012
I am inquiring about my eligibility for the FSW program based on my work experience and job offer.

I had a 16 months continuous internship work experience during my undergrad. It was NOC skill type A, Full-Time, 40 hours per week and I was paid 44k per year. However I was registered as Full-Time student at the University and working under a co-op permit. Wondering if this qualifies for the one year experience requirement.

I am currently working at a permanent job offer under PGWP (therefore no LMIA). It is a full-time, 40 hours per week permanent job offer of NOC A code. I am wondering if this counts towards the six selection factors 67/100 point calculation (Arranged employment in Canada).

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lvb125 said:
I am inquiring about my eligibility for the FSW program based on my work experience and job offer.

I had a 16 months continuous internship work experience during my undergrad. It was NOC skill type A, Full-Time, 40 hours per week and I was paid 44k per year. However I was registered as Full-Time student at the University and working under a co-op permit. Wondering if this qualifies for the one year experience requirement.

CIC explicitly states that Canadian work experience cannot be claimed while simultaneously being engaged in full-time education.

a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience

I am currently working at a permanent job offer under PGWP (therefore no LMIA). It is a full-time, 40 hours per week permanent job offer of NOC A code. I am wondering if this counts towards the six selection factors 67/100 point calculation (Arranged employment in Canada).

The 10 points for Arranged Employment seem to apply when one is working either on an LMIA exempt job or with a positive LMIA assessment.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

Thanks

lvb125

May 11, 2012
What I meant was if my coop experience would work for minimum requirement for FSW. It does not specify the job to be Canadian experience. My coop job seems to satisfy all the 5 requirements under Skilled work experience on cic website.

Thanks

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
lvb125 said:
What I meant was if my coop experience would work for minimum requirement for FSW. It does not specify the job to be Canadian experience. My coop job seems to satisfy all the 5 requirements under Skilled work experience on cic website.

Thanks
Co-op is the part of study curriculum and on student visa - co-op work permit. So, in short internship is not count.

Job offer under PGWP will get count in some cases, like PNP. But for EE only job offer will not count any points till you have LMIA with that job offer.

Hope this will help u!

copypaper

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
For FSW eligibility only, I believe paid internships count (as long as it was the right job title / NOC / skill level).
Minimum requirements
Skilled work experience

Your work experience must be:

at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
in the same NOC skill type (0, A or B) ,
within the last 10 years, and
at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

lvb125

May 11, 2012
copypaper said:
For FSW eligibility only, I believe paid internships count (as long as it was the right job title / NOC / skill level).
Yes, I am asking for FSW eligibility. My internship was during 2010-2011, 16 month continous fulltime with a very reasonable pay, and it was NOC type A. (programming job, so 2174 or 2173)

CIC agents on the telephone would not confirm with me with any of these, I have not received any constructive information from email either. I do appreciate if anyone with such experience would shed some light.

pgfswapp

Apr 29, 2018
Yes, I am asking for FSW eligibility. My internship was during 2010-2011, 16 month continous fulltime with a very reasonable pay, and it was NOC type A. (programming job, so 2174 or 2173)

CIC agents on the telephone would not confirm with me with any of these, I have not received any constructive information from email either. I do appreciate if anyone with such experience would shed some light.
hi lvb125,

Did you manage to find information on this?

Did CIC accept your internship for earning CRS points under FSW?

I have the same kinda profile, please let me know if it worked out for u. Thanks

Animesh15

Star Member
Apr 10, 2020
hi lvb125,

Did you manage to find information on this?

Did CIC accept your internship for earning CRS points under FSW?

I have the same kinda profile, please let me know if it worked out for u. Thanks
Hi, did you happen to apply your PR via this route?