+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

for a child born outside Canada and sponsored into Canada as PR, when can the child receive Child Benefit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone. I landed here as pr, I am sponsoring my daughter who is 17 years old, can I claim retroactive ccb if she arrives here 18 years old or over?
It is based on when she lands, age at time of landing and living in Canada. The benefit is to help raise your child in Canada. So if she lands when she is 18 then aged out. No retroactive benefits.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone. I landed here as pr, I am sponsoring my daughter who is 17 years old, can I claim retroactive ccb if she arrives here 18 years old or over?
“To get the CCB, you must meet all of the following conditions: You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.”

Of course not

Once they hit 18, they’ve aged out .

Aged out = you support them since you’re sponsoring them means they are legally an adult, and they or you support them/selves

Reactions: Naturgrl
Apr 10, 2020
It is based on when she lands, age at time of landing and living in Canada. The benefit is to help raise your child in Canada. So if she lands when she is 18 then aged out. No retroactive benefits.
So if she arrives before 18, I can apply retroactive benefits?

Apr 10, 2020
“To get the CCB, you must meet all of the following conditions: You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.”

Of course not

Once they hit 18, they’ve aged out .

Aged out = you support them since you’re sponsoring them means they are legally an adult, and they or you support them/selves
Retroactive payments only applies from application to approval? I have heard from others thay it may take 2 to 3 months waiting