+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fly to Us and Come back to Canada by land. How!?

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Our PR cards are under renewal process. We are going to Us by car and park our car at Buffalo, NY airport and fly to Mexico(Transfer in Atlanta ). I suddenly wonder if we can take flight fom Mexixo to Atlanta. Because it is requred to have returning ticket out of Us usually when people visit Us right? but we don't

I see in this from people come back to Canada by land when their pr card is under renewal and how do they do it. Does airline let people take flights to Us by showing the residency of Canada like landing confirmation?

By the way, we have Us visa exempted passports.

Thank you!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if you are traveling by "land" that means you are driving to canada from the us. when you drive through the border, you don't need your pr card. all that's necessary is your passport and COPR landing paper.

if you are taking a flight to mexico from atlanta, and you have US passports, all you need is your passport. you do not need to show anything about your status in Canada. US citizens can fly to mexico without a visa just by showing their passport.

there really is no issue here.

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
if you are traveling by "land" that means you are driving to canada from the us. when you drive through the border, you don't need your pr card. all that's necessary is your passport and COPR landing paper.

if you are taking a flight to mexico from atlanta, and you have US passports, all you need is your passport. you do not need to show anything about your status in Canada. US citizens can fly to mexico without a visa just by showing their passport.

there really is no issue here.
Hi!
Thank you for your reply!

We don't have US passports. We have New Zealand passports and we don't need visitor visa to enter US.

Do you think any problem enter US without returning ticket? Can we take flights from Mexico by showing the status of PR?

Thank you!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
chinachan said:
Hi!

We don't have US passports. We have New Zealand passports and we don't need visitor visa to enter US.

Do you think any problem enter US without returning ticket? Can we take flights from Mexico by showing the status of PR?

Thank you!
If you are flying into canada you MUST have your PR card as you likely won't be allowed to board the plane without it. If you are flying into the US, as long as you don't require a visa to the US then you should be fine to board the plane with your passport because your Canadian PR status means nothing to the airline if they aren't taking you to Canada.

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
If you are flying into canada you MUST have your PR card as you likely won't be allowed to board the plane without it. If you are flying into the US, as long as you don't require a visa to the US then you should be fine to board the plane with your passport because your Canadian PR status means nothing to the airline if they aren't taking you to Canada.
Hi,

Since we do not have PR card in our hands, we decided to drive to US and take flights to Mexico and come back the same route.

Now we can go to Mexico with relax.

Thank you again.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am not certain I understand the question, but my impression is that the concern regards the flight from Mexico to the U.S. and in particular what U.S. POE authorities (in Atlanta) might require relative to allowing entry into the U.S.

I assume that Atlanta is a connection not final destination on the return trip as well.

International flights ordinarily involve two types of screening requiring proper Travel Documents (in numerous other countries, there are also exit controls):

-- airline boarding screen, which for flights to either Canada or the U.S. require a traveler to present a proper Travel Document authorizing entry into the destination country before the passenger is allowed to board.

-- POE screen checking traveler for a proper Travel Document authorizing entry into the country and screening to determine whether actual entry will be allowed.

I suspect that chinachan's concern regards the latter: presenting a visa-exempt NZ passport should suffice for boarding the flight in Mexico destined for Atlanta, but will the U.S. POE authorities in Atlanta be satisfied that actual entry into the U.S. be allowed where they do not have a return ticket showing date of departure from the U.S.

Not so long ago the answer was fairly simple: the explanation that they were connecting to Buffalo where they planned to drive into Canada, together with showing some Canadian identification, say a Canadian health card (showing residence in Canada) and a drivers' license (showing actual address in Canada) should easily suffice at the Atlanta POE . . . so long as, of course, there was no history of problems with U.S. immigration.

The reason I distinguish that as not-so-long-ago is that in the meantime those flying to the U.S. (except American and Canadian citizens) must now have pre-boarding authorization. This is a process I am not familiar with. I believe it is not complicated or difficult for anyone with a visa-exempt passport from a country like NZ, but I am not familiar with the process. It may not be required if the flight to the U.S. is actually a return leg in a flight originating in the U.S., but I suspect it is still required.

I believe the airline should be able to answer this. Again, I doubt it is a problem, more a technicality. If the airline does not have a clear answer, you might check with the officers at the POE on the way into the states at Buffalo (give yourselves plenty of time).

In the meantime, as I noted above, otherwise all the travelers need to do is to have some documents in their hands showing they are traveling on to Canada. In addition to Canadian identification the ticket for the connecting flight to Buffalo could be part of that documentary evidence.

Overall I doubt there will be a problem, just some technicalities to comply with.

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
I am not certain I understand the question, but my impression is that the concern regards the flight from Mexico to the U.S. and in particular what U.S. POE authorities (in Atlanta) might require relative to allowing entry into the U.S.

I assume that Atlanta is a connection not final destination on the return trip as well.

International flights ordinarily involve two types of screening requiring proper Travel Documents (in numerous other countries, there are also exit controls):

-- airline boarding screen, which for flights to either Canada or the U.S. require a traveler to present a proper Travel Document authorizing entry into the destination country before the passenger is allowed to board.

-- POE screen checking traveler for a proper Travel Document authorizing entry into the country and screening to determine whether actual entry will be allowed.

I suspect that chinachan's concern regards the latter: presenting a visa-exempt NZ passport should suffice for boarding the flight in Mexico destined for Atlanta, but will the U.S. POE authorities in Atlanta be satisfied that actual entry into the U.S. be allowed where they do not have a return ticket showing date of departure from the U.S.

Not so long ago the answer was fairly simple: the explanation that they were connecting to Buffalo where they planned to drive into Canada, together with showing some Canadian identification, say a Canadian health card (showing residence in Canada) and a drivers' license (showing actual address in Canada) should easily suffice at the Atlanta POE . . . so long as, of course, there was no history of problems with U.S. immigration.

The reason I distinguish that as not-so-long-ago is that in the meantime those flying to the U.S. (except American and Canadian citizens) must now have pre-boarding authorization. This is a process I am not familiar with. I believe it is not complicated or difficult for anyone with a visa-exempt passport from a country like NZ, but I am not familiar with the process. It may not be required if the flight to the U.S. is actually a return leg in a flight originating in the U.S., but I suspect it is still required.

I believe the airline should be able to answer this. Again, I doubt it is a problem, more a technicality. If the airline does not have a clear answer, you might check with the officers at the POE on the way into the states at Buffalo (give yourselves plenty of time).

In the meantime, as I noted above, otherwise all the travelers need to do is to have some documents in their hands showing they are traveling on to Canada. In addition to Canadian identification the ticket for the connecting flight to Buffalo could be part of that documentary evidence.

Overall I doubt there will be a problem, just some technicalities to comply with.

Dpenabill,

Thank you for your reply!!!

So, showing the status of Canadian ID, such as driver's license, health card etc will suffice at the POE. I got it!

What you mentioned about pre-boarding authorization is called ESTA for visa-exempt passport holders and I have this already.

Seems like I will not have problem coming back to Canada then.

Thank you again.