+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling

gfwong

Jun 24, 2009
Hey All,

Just had a question for the flagpoling procedure.

I sponsored my wife on the family class and we just received the PR visa and Confirmation of PR document. Now we are looking at the next step at getting landing. Given that my wife already resides in Canada with me we are looking at the option of flagpoling to officially land. I heard there was an option to to an 'in Canada landing' at the local CIC office but have heard that it can take weeks to get an appointment.

Anybody have any tips for flag poling?
My wife does not have a US visa and requires one to enter the US, will this pose any issues?
Do we just tell the US border agent that we want to 'flag pole' and directly return back to Canada to finalized the PR landing procedure? I heard they will give a refusal of entry letter, but does that get stamped on the Passport and entered into their system?
Will this affect entering US at another time?
What do we answer if applying for any US travel documents if she has been refused entry into the US?

All we need to bring is her passport/visa and the Confirmation Of PR Document?
Are there any other documents to bring?
Any chance of refusal of entry back into Canada? What happens then if on the odd chance that happens?

Anyone have experience doing the flagpoling procedure at the Vancouver, Peace Arch crossing?
I assume it be better to walk over? Less chance of mis-understanding?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better understanding of the procedure so we don't inadvertently do anything to anger the border guards.

Thanks!

- Steve

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I don't think the US side will ever let you enter without a visa in your passport, also the Canadian customs require a proof of you have leaving Canada to be eligible for landing, as a proof they wish to see an entry stamp to the US and the form I-94 if applicable.
If you are refused the entry (admission) at the border of the US it will look worse than if you apply for a visa in the US consulate. You can try and go for the visitor's visa interview in the consulate and explain the reason why you need at least just a few days visa, they might help you to get one.
Even if they refuse, it will not affect your future applications for the US visa.
If none of this works, why not to travel to any country that doesn't require visa for your wife and re-enter again or just go for a cruise or short vacation together? I know that it involves money, but time spent together is precious, especially on some romantic trip.
have a good luck!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can go there without any visa or anything. The U.S. agents deal with this all the time and will just give you a piece of paper that you give to the Canadians when you turn back and they will process everything, that proves you left Canada and were in the U.S.A.

They will not stamp the passport. They will enter it into their system as an "administrative refusal," which will have no effect on future entries or applications for visas or other U.S. immigration benefits.

Bring the passport with the visa, the COPR, and just in case, her birth certificate. They normally don't ask for it, but I have heard it happen.

If she has her documents in order and nothing material has changed (change of civil status, birth of child, crime, etc.) she will definitely get her PR, i.e. she won't be refused entry to Canada.

It makes no difference whatsoever which way she chooses to exit or enter Canada. There will be no misunderstanding either way and she'll get her PR either way.

mkp

Oct 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When it comes to immigration laws, every country is very strict. And now with the current scenario of terrorism, everything has been made tougher. The US in particular is the most stringent in these visa laws. We can’t blame them either since they have been the target of most terrorist attacks in the recent past. That’s why flag poling in Canada after going to the US could be a very difficult task. Canada is not so tough on these laws.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
No problem flagpoling at all

I need a visa to enter the USA. I flagpoled when I wanted to obtain my first work visa. The border guards are well aware of the term and intentions.

Since I am now a PR, I have entered and exited the USA many times without any problem. USA issues me a 90 day visitor visa, which I use to get into the States, my PR card gets me back into Canada.

Just a side story, when I landed it was Inland in Vancouver, there was maybe about 12 people landing with me, one of those people did NOT bring their passport!!! Obviously, they were turned away and told to reapply for a landing appointment. So check and double check you have all your papers when you land. :D

anidel

Dec 19, 2010
angelbrat said:
No problem flagpoling at all

I need a visa to enter the USA. I flagpoled when I wanted to obtain my first work visa. The border guards are well aware of the term and intentions.

Since I am now a PR, I have entered and exited the USA many times without any problem. USA issues me a 90 day visitor visa, which I use to get into the States, my PR card gets me back into Canada.

Just a side story, when I landed it was Inland in Vancouver, there was maybe about 12 people landing with me, one of those people did NOT bring their passport!!! Obviously, they were turned away and told to reapply for a landing appointment. So check and double check you have all your papers when you land. :D
So when they ask you if you were refused access to US, what do you answer?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I have never been asked.....go figure.

They know I have flagpoled, which is not the same as being refused entry. I have never been refused entry of the USA, when you flagpole you make it clear you have no intention of entering the USA, hence the flag poling.

Flagpoling is not a refusal, it is a slang immigration term for lack of any other terminology for this process. It most certainly is NOT a refusal of entry, like I have stated, the USA issue me with 90 day visa's all the time.

anidel

Dec 19, 2010
angelbrat said:

They know I have flagpoled, which is not the same as being refused entry. I have never been refused entry of the USA, when you flagpole you make it clear you have no intention of entering the USA, hence the flag poling.

Flagpoling is not a refusal, it is a slang immigration term for lack of any other terminology for this process. It most certainly is NOT a refusal of entry, like I have stated, the USA issue me with 90 day visa's all the time.
Thank you. This confirms my understanding of the flagpoling :)

thanks again and have a merry christmas

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
hi angelbrat,

my husband will be driving to the US border crossing today to flagpole and land as a PR. will there be extra steps he need to do since he will be driving his car across the border. it has canadian plates and was bought in Canada.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
No extra steps with regards to the vehicle, but if he has goods to import still there is a form he must fill. I drove my sponsor's car (he did not attend) and had no questions about the vehicle.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
rubyalabar said:
hi angelbrat,

my husband will be driving to the US border crossing today to flagpole and land as a PR. will there be extra steps he need to do since he will be driving his car across the border. it has canadian plates and was bought in Canada.
Agrees with Allison.....there will no problems if he is just flagpoling. Just make sure he has all his paperwork, including his driving license and insurance papers etc.

It never does any harm to have to much information. Congrats on the landing ;D ;D ;D ;D

TheDecision

Jan 10, 2011
Hello. I was just wondering what nationality is the passport you used to flagpole?

I am thinking of entering Canada as a tourist and find a job. Once I find a job, can I flagpole to make my work status legal? And will this work even with passports that need visas to enter both the US and Canada?

Thanks, this would really help.

angelbrat said:

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
thanks Allison and angelbrat! :)

karsatjaya

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-06-2011
Hi rubyalabar,

Did you husband completed the landing process successfully ?

Thanks

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
yes, he drove to the border and flagpoled last January 7. the drive took longer than the actual landing process :)

karsatjaya said:
Hi rubyalabar,

Did you husband completed the landing process successfully ?

Thanks