Nwamaka

Star Member
May 28, 2021
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa.
App. Filed.......
May 12
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide an insightful answer to my question. I do not take your kindness for granted. Have you flagpoled before or have any idea what is required? I am a student in Canada, along with my spouse, who has an open work permit. I will graduate this month and want to apply for the PGWP through flag-poling. However, I have heard that I have to provide a 3-month payslip or get a job offer before my spouse, OWP, can be approved. How true is this? I plan to go to the border for my PGWP and his SOWP at the same time. Will they reject his application if I don't have a job offer or a 3-month payslip? Please let me know if there is evidence for this condition. Please direct me to it.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide an insightful answer to my question. I do not take your kindness for granted. Have you flagpoled before or have any idea what is required? I am a student in Canada, along with my spouse, who has an open work permit. I will graduate this month and want to apply for the PGWP through flag-poling. However, I have heard that I have to provide a 3-month payslip or get a job offer before my spouse, OWP, can be approved. How true is this? I plan to go to the border for my PGWP and his SOWP at the same time. Will they reject his application if I don't have a job offer or a 3-month payslip? Please let me know if there is evidence for this condition. Please direct me to it.

Thank you.
In order for your spouse to get their OWP you will need proof of employment (not just job offer you must have started working). Believe that the requirement have been loosened temporarily and you no longer have to have a job in TEER 0,1 , 2 or 3 as well as 3 pay stubs which typically means 6 weeks of pay not 3 months. Your spouse can keep working until their current OWP expires and then will have to wait until they qualify for a new OWP. You should also call the border you plan on visiting in advance becomes some. Most have limited hours when they do flagpoling and some only do a limited amount of cases per day. When you call you can verify what is needed to qualify for an OWP of a PGWP holder.

Reactions: Nwamaka

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hello,

Thank you.
In 2020, SOWP can be applied together with the PA's PGWP application. This did not require 3 payslips or a job in NOC 0,A,B if the SOWP application was submitted together with the PGWP application. I applied for my wife's SOWP this way when I applied for my PGWP. This was the advise of my DLI's International Students office. They based this from:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/help-your-spouse-common-law-partner-work-canada.html

Who can get a work permit as the spouse or common-law partner of a student?
Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

• have a valid study permit
  • are eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and
  • are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)
Suggest you ask your DLI's International Students office for their advise.

Reactions: Nwamaka