+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

flagpole procedure (NOT visa-exempt)

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
i just received my CoPR and immigrant visa and am planning to land as a PR in Canada very soon. i currently do live in Canada and would like to land by driving to the US border and reentering Canada. however, i am not from a visa-exempt country, and if i want to enter the US, i'd generally have to get a visa beforehand. i've heard that by telling the US immigration officer at the border that you are "flagpole"ing and want to immediately return back to Canada to land as a PR, he/she would refuse your entry into the US and return you back to Canada with a piece of paper indicating that fact.

does this work the same even for people from countries which are not visa-exempt (regarding the US)? i am worried that this might cause trouble for me at the US border, or later on when applying for a US visa for any reason.

thanks for your advice :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

darxider said:
i just received my CoPR and immigrant visa and am planning to land as a PR in Canada very soon. i currently do live in Canada and would like to land by driving to the US border and reentering Canada. however, i am not from a visa-exempt country, and if i want to enter the US, i'd generally have to get a visa beforehand. i've heard that by telling the US immigration officer at the border that you are "flagpole"ing and want to immediately return back to Canada to land as a PR, he/she would refuse your entry into the US and return you back to Canada with a piece of paper indicating that fact.

does this work the same even for people from countries which are not visa-exempt (regarding the US)? i am worried that this might cause trouble for me at the US border, or later on when applying for a US visa for any reason.

thanks for your advice :)
1. Yes it works for everyone trying to "land". The US gives you an administrative refusal, (doesn't bar future entries). You tell them you wish to "flagpole to land"