+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpole landing experience at Peace Bridge, Fort Erie

dipens

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
I went for my flagpole landing on June 13th 2017 (timeline in signature). I decided to go for Peace Bridge because I didn't see a lot of people going there and I hoped there wouldn't be a lot of people going for landing there.

I drove straight to the US border from Toronto with my wife. I arrived to the border at around 8:45 PM. Upon arriving there, I told the Border office that I am here for flagpole as part of my landing as a permanent resident. The officer knew right away what flagpoling was. The officer asked me some questions like what job do you do to me and my wife? finally deciding to stay here ha? You like Canada that much? I think he was just being funny and at the same time checking our passports and looking for something suspicious (as part of their routine inspection I think). Then he told me turn the hazard lights on for my car and instructed me to go to the building on the right side with officers continuously following me. Then I was told to go inside door # 2 of that building. There were 2 more families sitting there but the office was pretty much empty with officers just chatting with each other. I waited around 15 minutes and then the officer called me, told me to get back in the car and follow him. Then he showed me the way to go back to Canada, handed me my passport and the white flagpole slip. Our names, date of birth, citizenship country and date, etc. were written on the paper with pen and flagpole with big letters on the bottom with the current date, etc. We then drove back to Canada. The whole US flagpoling process took around 20 minutes.

Upon arriving to the Canadian side at around 9:20 PM, we were greeted with a nice officer. We told him we are here to do our landing as a permanent resident. He asked did you go to the US and get rejected (flagpoled) which I said yes to.
He checked our passports quickly. and then told us to park and go the building on the left side and handed us our passports and a yellow slip. We went inside the building and handed over the yellow slip. He told us to take a seat and wait for us to be called. The office was empty with just 2 more people there for something else and nobody was there to do their landing. We were the first ones.

After some time, an officer called my name and we got there. He was looking at our passports. The CBSA officer was super nice (probably the nicest CBSA officer I have ever seen). The officer asked for our COPRs. We gave it to them. He then gave a piece of paper and pen asked me to write my address on it. (No address proof asked). He asked the following questions if I remember correctly.
  1. Who is the primary applicant?
  2. Did you have any changes in the number of dependents/ Are there any dependents that I have outside us two?
  3. Did we ever commit any crime, etc?
This is as far as I remember. He didn't ask for any additional documents. He didn't ask for bank statements, employment letter, etc ( which has been asked quite a few times from people landing at Rainbow bridge). My last entry date and my wife's original entry date and last entry date were incorrect/missing. So I asked him about that. He said there's not much he can do about it at this point. He said not to worry about it, as its not important and the original fields have been filled in properly so it should be okay. (He confirmed this with a senior officer later).

He then told us to have a seat while he prepares our passport (stapled it with the COPR). In maybe 5 minutes, he called us again. He asked us to sign us on the COPRs and write down the answers to the questions he asked before (dependents, crime, etc) and initial it. We signed the COPRs.

Then he said those obligatory Permanent resident lines which every officer says to everybody landing so I am not going to repeat it. And that's it. The whole process took less than 15 minutes on the Canadian side and 45 minutes overall. We were out of the office by 9:35 PM.

Keep $4 in change. There is a toll after peace bridge where you will be asked for it.

My suggestions:
  1. Go to the peace bridge if you can drive. Its less busy over there.
  2. Keep some change money. You will need it on either of the Niagara bridges.
  3. Go during some odd times. I went on a Tuesday at around 8:30 PM.
  4. Avoid Rainbow bridge as they are only going to be allowing landing on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (no weekends) starting next week which means more rush. (I have confirmed this with CBSA customer service).

Last edited:

slohmann

Jun 14, 2017
Thank you for sharing this! I am planning to do the same thing as soon as CPC send our passports back.

I was just wondering, since USA will deny me entry, is there any possibility that I can have problems when I request a visitor visa for the US? Will the USA immigration keep a record of this?

Thanks!

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for sharing this! I am planning to do the same thing as soon as CPC send our passports back.

I was just wondering, since USA will deny me entry, is there any possibility that I can have problems when I request a visitor visa for the US? Will the USA immigration keep a record of this?

Thanks!
Yes, US keeps records of all entries, but it should not negatively affect any future applications to the US.

Reactions: slohmann

dipens

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016

Thanks!
No. This has been discussed many times around here. It does not affect anything.

popeye15

Star Member
Jan 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations on successfully flagpoling! I would like to ask, do you automatically apply for a PR Card when you land or is this a separate process that you need to do after flagpoling? Thank you!

dipens

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Congratulations on successfully flagpoling! I would like to ask, do you automatically apply for a PR Card when you land or is this a separate process that you need to do after flagpoling? Thank you!
Automatically apply when you land.

bKamal24

Jan 3, 2017
I am planning to go to Rainbow Bridge tomorrow at around 7 PM. Is that okay? Do they expect people to land between 8 am to 5 pm?
Hi Wali, I went to Rainbow bridge on 28 June 2017 for landing and was sent back saying they are not doing landing process anymore there. They asked to book an appointmnet with CIC to do landing inland.
did you manage to do landing?

wali2017

Feb 8, 2017
Hi Wali, I went to Rainbow bridge on 28 June 2017 for landing and was sent back saying they are not doing landing process anymore there. They asked to book an appointmnet with CIC to do landing inland.
Same here.

PAuaePakTor

Star Member
Oct 5, 2016
Hi Kamal
Did you manage to do flagpoling, if yes when and where. Would you please like to share as I will be doing soon after I receive my ppt

kaegon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2017
I am yet to understand you fully. please what is flagpole and peacebridge landing?? I've been part of this forum and this hasnt been discussed or elaborated upon. Can someone enlighten me please? Cheers

I went for my flagpole landing on June 13th 2017 (timeline in signature). I decided to go for Peace Bridge because I didn't see a lot of people going there and I hoped there wouldn't be a lot of people going for landing there.

I drove straight to the US border from Toronto with my wife. I arrived to the border at around 8:45 PM. Upon arriving there, I told the Border office that I am here for flagpole as part of my landing as a permanent resident. The officer knew right away what flagpoling was. The officer asked me some questions like what job do you do to me and my wife? finally deciding to stay here ha? You like Canada that much? I think he was just being funny and at the same time checking our passports and looking for something suspicious (as part of their routine inspection I think). Then he told me turn the hazard lights on for my car and instructed me to go to the building on the right side with officers continuously following me. Then I was told to go inside door # 2 of that building. There were 2 more families sitting there but the office was pretty much empty with officers just chatting with each other. I waited around 15 minutes and then the officer called me, told me to get back in the car and follow him. Then he showed me the way to go back to Canada, handed me my passport and the white flagpole slip. Our names, date of birth, citizenship country and date, etc. were written on the paper with pen and flagpole with big letters on the bottom with the current date, etc. We then drove back to Canada. The whole US flagpoling process took around 20 minutes.

Upon arriving to the Canadian side at around 9:20 PM, we were greeted with a nice officer. We told him we are here to do our landing as a permanent resident. He asked did you go to the US and get rejected (flagpoled) which I said yes to.
He checked our passports quickly. and then told us to park and go the building on the left side and handed us our passports and a yellow slip. We went inside the building and handed over the yellow slip. He told us to take a seat and wait for us to be called. The office was empty with just 2 more people there for something else and nobody was there to do their landing. We were the first ones.

After some time, an officer called my name and we got there. He was looking at our passports. The CBSA officer was super nice (probably the nicest CBSA officer I have ever seen). The officer asked for our COPRs. We gave it to them. He then gave a piece of paper and pen asked me to write my address on it. (No address proof asked). He asked the following questions if I remember correctly.
  1. Who is the primary applicant?
  2. Did you have any changes in the number of dependents/ Are there any dependents that I have outside us two?
  3. Did we ever commit any crime, etc?
This is as far as I remember. He didn't ask for any additional documents. He didn't ask for bank statements, employment letter, etc ( which has been asked quite a few times from people landing at Rainbow bridge). My last entry date and my wife's original entry date and last entry date were incorrect/missing. So I asked him about that. He said there's not much he can do about it at this point. He said not to worry about it, as its not important and the original fields have been filled in properly so it should be okay. (He confirmed this with a senior officer later).

He then told us to have a seat while he prepares our passport (stapled it with the COPR). In maybe 5 minutes, he called us again. He asked us to sign us on the COPRs and write down the answers to the questions he asked before (dependents, crime, etc) and initial it. We signed the COPRs.

Then he said those obligatory Permanent resident lines which every officer says to everybody landing so I am not going to repeat it. And that's it. The whole process took less than 15 minutes on the Canadian side and 45 minutes overall. We were out of the office by 9:35 PM.

Keep $4 in change. There is a toll after peace bridge where you will be asked for it.

My suggestions:
  1. Go to the peace bridge if you can drive. Its less busy over there.
  2. Keep some change money. You will need it on either of the Niagara bridges.
  3. Go during some odd times. I went on a Tuesday at around 8:30 PM.
  4. Avoid Rainbow bridge as they are only going to be allowing landing on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (no weekends) starting next week which means more rush. (I have confirmed this with CBSA customer service).
nd

dipens

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
I am yet to understand you fully. please what is flagpole and peacebridge landing?? I've been part of this forum and this hasnt been discussed or elaborated upon. Can someone enlighten me please? Cheers

nd
There are tons of threads already explaining what it is. Peace bridge is the name of the bridge at Fort Erie between USA and Canada where you can do a Flagpole landing.

As part of receiving your PR you are required to land/cross at any Canadian Border. If you are arriving from another country, you would be landing anyway so flagpoling is not an option for them. If you are already inside Canada then you can
  1. Book an appointment to do your landing procedures at CIC office (takes more time). And the other option is to
  2. Go to the USA border and get an admin refusal from the border and show it to Canadian border as a proof that you tried to go to another country but were unsuccessful. This counts as going out of Canada and is usually valid to fulfill your landing requirements.This process is known as flagpoling.
Try to google next time before asking already asked questions. Wastes a lot of everybody's time.