+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First tax return - new immigrant

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Hello,

I landed in January '14 with my parents and siblings, lived in Canada for 2 weeks but went back to the UK to work for 3 months there, then returning again permanently on 25 April '14.

Will I have to declare my income prior to 25 April '14? Apart from getting a SIN, I didn't apply for driver's license, or BC Medical Services Plan, nor opened a bank account in Canada - I did all that when I moved to the Canada permanently in April '14. I have a lack of documents from the HMRC (UK's version of CRA) regarding my income there, so its going to be difficult to attain them (different tax year timelines, 1 of the docs might be sitting at the company's mailroom, etc). So since I believe I wasn't resident for tax purposes before 25 April 2014 (even though I landed in January), I should go on and report only my income from 25 April 2014 onwards right? I am single and only my parents and siblings were living in Canada (no partner or own family) for the time I was in the UK ('relatives' in Canadian terminology).

Also, what if some of the amount (like a quarterly bonus) was paid in arrears for work done prior to moving to Canada, but paid after I moved to Canada? Does that count towards a 'worldwide income'? can I file using netfile or it has to be a paper return?

Also even if I can't file netfile (because no correspondence with CRA for me), my mother, who receives CCTB on behalf of my younger brother and also has a DD setup with CRA, provided her ID documents to them at the time of CCTB filing, is she eligible for netfile since CRA has her date of birth and other records already?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
jazibkg said:
Hello,

I landed in January '14 with my parents and siblings, lived in Canada for 2 weeks but went back to the UK to work for 3 months there, then returning again permanently on 25 April '14.

Will I have to declare my income prior to 25 April '14? Apart from getting a SIN, I didn't apply for driver's license, or BC Medical Services Plan, nor opened a bank account in Canada - I did all that when I moved to the Canada permanently in April '14. I have a lack of documents from the HMRC (UK's version of CRA) regarding my income there, so its going to be difficult to attain them (different tax year timelines, 1 of the docs might be sitting at the company's mailroom, etc). So since I believe I wasn't resident for tax purposes before 25 April 2014 (even though I landed in January), I should go on and report only my income from 25 April 2014 onwards right? I am single and only my parents and siblings were living in Canada (no partner or own family) for the time I was in the UK ('relatives' in Canadian terminology).

Also, what if some of the amount (like a quarterly bonus) was paid in arrears for work done prior to moving to Canada, but paid after I moved to Canada? Does that count towards a 'worldwide income'? can I file using netfile or it has to be a paper return?

Also even if I can't file netfile (because no correspondence with CRA for me), my mother, who receives CCTB on behalf of my younger brother and also has a DD setup with CRA, provided her ID documents to them at the time of CCTB filing, is she eligible for netfile since CRA has her date of birth and other records already?
Where do your parents and siblings reside today? do you have any ties to Canada at all?

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
I've been residing in Canada since April 2014. My parents and siblings reside in Canada too, we live in the same house. Other than that, I had no official ties with Canada between February and April (I visited Canada for landing between January and early Feb 2014). I had income from the UK between Jan - April.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
jazibkg said:
Hello,

when u firs time landed is it permnant residence landing? if yes then u r permanant resident from first day of landing, and this is enough for u as ties and SIN is also issued in January 14.

for netfile chk the CRA website there are some options to file direclty using netfile, i think for the new year still not updated.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
this is guide for the new comers in canada 2014 inPDF

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4055/t4055-14e.pdf

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Hmmm...on every official form I have always mentioned as my date of move to BC as 25-April-2014 though, so that might be in my favour. I really don't want to file a complex tax return with foreign income and tax, plus the UK tax year runs April - April and not Jan-Dec, which makes things more complicated. Thanks anyways!