+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First months Canada

edacaret

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Hi everyone Im from Guatemala were we currently live with my family (wife and 3 small kids). My wife is Canadian citizen as well as my kids so we applied outland spousal application and I already received my visa which is to expire November 25, 2017.
Our plan is to go to Calgary later in the year, I'm thinking about leaving late September by myself so I could advance in things such as: try to find a job, a place to live, schools for the kids, special clothes, open bank account, and all the things needed to be done to get established. Maybe around late October the rest of the family arrives in Calgary once I'm more settled and more comfortable transition for them. Hopefully by the time they arrive I could have a job but likely won't be that easy I guess. Do you guys think it is a good idea to go before the rest of the family to advance in some things? Also another question wouldn't it be better if we go sooner, say around july or late august so kids can start classes at the beginning of the school year? Is there a better chance I find a job (marketing major) right now or maybe in November? Any benefits or recommendations anyone can suggest or mention?
I've never been to Canada and I'm just a little confused as to what date more or less we should leave

thank you

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fall is the best time to look for jobs. People come from summer vacation and try to move to other work places. November is not a good time to come to Canada for job seeking: December , January and February is a dead season.

For kinds (when to go to school) it does not matter. Does your wife work now? Does your family depend on her income? If the answers are no and no, then better to come with a family.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Yes, it´s better to come sooner so you have more time to look for a job.
I think Regina has a good point there, but it could be actually practical if you come by yourself to get settled, you´ll make the best of your time and also save some money, unless she has family here where to stay and help with the kids.

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Hi,

I live in Calgary. Just wanted to let you know the economy is still a little slow here. If you want to come first and get a head start looking for a job and a place to stay, as the previous poster said, it might not be a bad idea. I think if your kids are young, it won't be a big issue as to when they start school. Also, I think it might be easier on you to acclimatize if you come when the weather is nicer.
Good luck to you!

Reactions: mr-moose