+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding an internship as an international exchange student

mruchann

Dec 1, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm Ruchan and I'm from Turkey. I'll be an international incoming computer science exchange student for one semester at one of the Canadian universities. I'd like to find and do a software engineering internship here.

I've read a lot of Canadian visa documents, but I think I couldn't find the exact situation I am in.

Since my education duration is less than 6 months, my study permit doesn't allow me to work after school. Furthermore, even if it were allowed, since my study duration is over after the school term finishes, I would not be a student anymore, only a temporary resident. As I understand, I need a work permit.

I plan to apply for a work permit in Canada right after I arrive because I may not submit or collect my documents in Turkey since I won't be there. Then, I'll apply for the open positions.

I'm actively applying to the positions, but I'm confused about whether I require a visa sponsorship. Do I miss something, or is it just $155 plus other fees, or is there something more? I don't want to fall behind among applicants and be at a disadvantage if I can afford these fees and there is nothing bureaucratic. If there is something I cannot handle, I will indicate in the application form that yes, I'll need work visa sponsorship.

Thank you for your help and for enlightening me. Finally, if there is a better way to achieve my dream, I'd like to hear from you as well!

Sincerely,
Ruchan

edit: I'll have a 4-month temporary resident visa after my school finishes, where an internship can fit easily.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm Ruchan and I'm from Turkey. I'll be an international incoming computer science exchange student for one semester at one of the Canadian universities. I'd like to find and do a software engineering internship here.

I've read a lot of Canadian visa documents, but I think I couldn't find the exact situation I am in.

Since my education duration is less than 6 months, my study permit doesn't allow me to work after school. Furthermore, even if it were allowed, since my study duration is over after the school term finishes, I would not be a student anymore, only a temporary resident. As I understand, I need a work permit.

I plan to apply for a work permit in Canada right after I arrive because I may not submit or collect my documents in Turkey since I won't be there. Then, I'll apply for the open positions.

I'm actively applying to the positions, but I'm confused about whether I require a visa sponsorship. Do I miss something, or is it just $155 plus other fees, or is there something more? I don't want to fall behind among applicants and be at a disadvantage if I can afford these fees and there is nothing bureaucratic. If there is something I cannot handle, I will indicate in the application form that yes, I'll need work visa sponsorship.

Thank you for your help and for enlightening me. Finally, if there is a better way to achieve my dream, I'd like to hear from you as well!

Sincerely,
Ruchan
So just to clarify but you are entering a visitor? If so when are you arriving? Or you have a study permit? You cannot work as a visitor.

mruchann

Dec 1, 2023
So just to clarify but you are entering a visitor? If so when are you arriving? Or you have a study permit? You cannot work as a visitor.
I have a S-1 student visa from 2023-11-23 to 2024-08-31. I'm arriving on January 22 and trying to find an internship from May to August. The school term finishes on April 25.