+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filipino CPAs to Canada, What are your plans?

amitaf

Star Member
Aug 7, 2009
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
september 26, 2009
Doc's Request.
december 03, 2009
AOR Received.
february 23, 2010
Med's Request
march 31, 2010
Med's Done....
april 16,2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
may 25, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
july 8, 2010
LANDED..........
july 29, 2010
hello po! i'm also a cpa. my family & i just landed here in toronto last july 29. i have been doing my research on how to obtain eligibility here in canada months before my application was approved. and in my own opinion, CA is the best choice for me to take kasi as mimi have done, i also e-mailed icao last may and they responded the same thing. i'm pasting the letter w/c they sent via e-mail here:

"As a member of a non-recognized accounting body, the PICPA, you may be eligible to receive exemptions from some of the basic CA program requirements. An evaluation is not required as we have previously evaluated this accounting body.

To receive automatic exemptions upon registration and apply for further exemptions as a member of a non-recognized accounting body, you must meet a residency requirement. You may register with the Institute if you wrote the examination while not a resident of Canada.

Members of non-recognized accounting bodies are automatically exempt from the requirement to hold a university degree, 48 of 51 course-credit hours, and the 5-day staff training program.

To be eligible for membership in the Ontario Institute such candidates must successfully complete:

-An acceptable course in Canadian business law;

-The Core-Knowledge Examination (CKE) and the School of Accountancy (SOA);

-The Uniform Evaluation (UFE); and

-3 years of training at an approved training office.

As a member of a non-recognized accounting body, you are eligible to apply for exemptions from the CKE, SOA and some or all of the 3 years of prescribed practical experience requirement. To apply, please send an email to Customer Service (custserv@icao.on.ca).

The business law course must be completed at a university in Canada. For a list of the courses we recognize from each university in Ontario, please visit our website, http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/QualificationProcess/ScheduleofUniversityCoursesforInstituteCredit/1014page1184.aspx. The law course can be completed either before you secure employment in an approved training office or afterwards.

For details on each stage of the qualification and registration process, please visit our website,

http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/RegistrationOverview/1008page1311.aspx

If you have completed a degree with accounting courses that may be eligible for credit with the ICAO, please let me know and I can provide information on the assessment process.

If you do not plan to move to Ontario, then you should contact the provincial institute where you will be as they will have a different qualification process. The list of provincial institutes is available on our website, <http://www.icao.on.ca/Resources/Links/1017page1166.aspx> .

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
"

May residency requirement kasi na nakalagay kaya di muna ako nagrespond sa kanila habang di pa nakaland. Now i'm planning to e-mail them again to inform them that i've already landed. Ayusin ko lng muna iba pang mga bagay like secure a SIN, OHIP, CCTB, open an account, enroll my kids in school, etc. bago ang lahat. But for sure, i'm going to do it within this month.

I'll just post na lang here kung paano magiging development sa plans ko. :) I hope everything will come into place w/ God's grace and guidance. That's all for now.... it's 12mn here and di pa ko makatulog... So many things on my mind right now...

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
amitaf said:
hello po! i'm also a cpa. my family & i just landed here in toronto last july 29. i have been doing my research on how to obtain eligibility here in canada months before my application was approved. and in my own opinion, CA is the best choice for me to take kasi as mimi have done, i also e-mailed icao last may and they responded the same thing. i'm pasting the letter w/c they sent via e-mail here:

"As a member of a non-recognized accounting body, the PICPA, you may be eligible to receive exemptions from some of the basic CA program requirements. An evaluation is not required as we have previously evaluated this accounting body.

To receive automatic exemptions upon registration and apply for further exemptions as a member of a non-recognized accounting body, you must meet a residency requirement. You may register with the Institute if you wrote the examination while not a resident of Canada.

Members of non-recognized accounting bodies are automatically exempt from the requirement to hold a university degree, 48 of 51 course-credit hours, and the 5-day staff training program.

To be eligible for membership in the Ontario Institute such candidates must successfully complete:

As a member of a non-recognized accounting body, you are eligible to apply for exemptions from the CKE, SOA and some or all of the 3 years of prescribed practical experience requirement. To apply, please send an email to Customer Service (custserv @ icao.on.ca).

The business law course must be completed at a university in Canada. For a list of the courses we recognize from each university in Ontario, please visit our website, http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/QualificationProcess/ScheduleofUniversityCoursesforInstituteCredit/1014page1184.aspx. The law course can be completed either before you secure employment in an approved training office or afterwards.

For details on each stage of the qualification and registration process, please visit our website,

If you have completed a degree with accounting courses that may be eligible for credit with the ICAO, please let me know and I can provide information on the assessment process.

If you do not plan to move to Ontario, then you should contact the provincial institute where you will be as they will have a different qualification process. The list of provincial institutes is available on our website, <http://www.icao.on.ca/Resources/Links/1017page1166.aspx> .

"

May residency requirement kasi na nakalagay kaya di muna ako nagrespond sa kanila habang di pa nakaland. Now i'm planning to e-mail them again to inform them that i've already landed. Ayusin ko lng muna iba pang mga bagay like secure a SIN, OHIP, CCTB, open an account, enroll my kids in school, etc. bago ang lahat. But for sure, i'm going to do it within this month.

I'll just post na lang here kung paano magiging development sa plans ko. :) I hope everything will come into place w/ God's grace and guidance. That's all for now.... it's 12mn here and di pa ko makatulog... So many things on my mind right now...
hi amitaf! finally........you're in canadian soil!

another journey has begun ;)

we look forward to ur posts!

congrats again and God bless ur efforts.

meanne

Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2010
Doc's Request.
09-06-2010
AOR Received.
10-08-2010
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
11-10-2012
Med's Done....
31-10-2012
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
July 2013
amitaf said:

As a member of a non-recognized accounting body, you are eligible to apply for exemptions from the CKE, SOA and some or all of the 3 years of prescribed practical experience requirement. To apply, please send an email to Customer Service (custserv @ icao.on.ca).

"

Thank you for sharing :)

abilex

May 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
4131/ 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
IELTS Request
done.
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
14-09-2010 received 09-22-2010
Med's Done....
10-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2011
LANDED..........
Vancouver, BC (2011)
amitaf said:

"

Finally! may magguide na din sa atin. yipeee!!! God bless you amitaf and we are all looking forward to your posts! Mabuhay! :)

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
hello everyone!

ask ko sana kng ano IELTS module taken nyo? GT or Academic?

Ako GT. But I heard if you plan to study in Canada, dapat Academic.

Now, Im wondering. Need ko ba take ng Ielts ulit? this time Acad? ??? ???

abilex

May 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
4131/ 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
IELTS Request
done.
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
10-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2011
LANDED..........
Vancouver, BC (2011)
Hi mimi!

GT Module ako.

Try to contact British Council. Their webisite is: http://www.britishcouncil.org/philippines

They may be able to give you valid info. May school ka na ba target? If yes, you micht as well get in touch with the university to check their requirements.

Sipag mo ha. ;)

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
I e-mailed CGA ontario asking if the school where I graduated from is recognized and this is their reply:

NOTRE DAME OF MIDSAYAP COLLEGE is recognized by CGA Ontario for transfer credits, however, a BSA in Accounting is deemed equivalent to a certificate of Higher Education in Canada, not a degree. :eek: :-[

:( di pala equivalent to a degree don ang BSA degree ko dito :(

now, i think, need to pay CAD 300 for assessment of my credentials.

pero cguro ganun din result like yng mga nagpa-assess na, take up 12 courses or 2 years of study :eek:

hayyyy, buhay :-X

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
abilex said:
Hi mimi!

GT Module ako.

Try to contact British Council. Their webisite is: http://www.britishcouncil.org/philippines

They may be able to give you valid info. May school ka na ba target? If yes, you micht as well get in touch with the university to check their requirements.

Sipag mo ha. ;)
tnx abilex, idp phils kasi ako. i checked their website na. sabi nga doon, for immigration GT module, for studies Acad.

nag inquire na din ako sa target schools ko, kelangan nga language assessment. yng isa, nag reply na IELTS result is recognized pero di nag specify kng anong module.

di na pwede humingi ng personal copy of the TRF. pero pwede if we are going to request a copy na ipapadala sa third party, i.e, employer or school. hindi sa atin ire-release. sila mismo mgpdala sa institution, pero of course,bayad muna tayo ;D

better be ready than sorry, mahirap doon magtake ng language assessment, lalo di pa natin kabisado ang lugar. of course, my waiting period din ang result. sayang din mga oras ipaghintay natin sa result, pang job hunting na yun, di ba? ;D ;D tska, di pa natin kabisado testing system nila, baka mas mahirap pa sa ielts :p :p. at least dto familiar na tayo sa IELTS. ;)

meanne

Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2010
Doc's Request.
09-06-2010
AOR Received.
10-08-2010
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
11-10-2012
Med's Done....
31-10-2012
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
July 2013
At mimi,

Nung nagtake ako ng IELTS, GT module ang kinuha ko. Although, malayo pa ang lalakbayan ng papers ko ( still waitng 2nd AOR sa London office) baka ung IELTS ko hindi na valid pagnarelease ang visa ko so malamang eh magtake ulit ng panibago.

Nabasa ko minsan pag requirement ata to study dapat, Academic module ang kuhanin.

abilex

May 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
4131/ 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
IELTS Request
done.
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
10-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2011
LANDED..........
Vancouver, BC (2011)
mimi0713 said:
better be ready than sorry, mahirap doon magtake ng language assessment, lalo di pa natin kabisado ang lugar. of course, my waiting period din ang result. sayang din mga oras ipaghintay natin sa result, pang job hunting na yun, di ba? ;D ;D tska, di pa natin kabisado testing system nila, baka mas mahirap pa sa ielts :p :p. at least dto familiar na tayo sa IELTS. ;)
timbangin mo rin ha, may expiration validity ng IELTS. One year lang di ba? What if hindi ka pa nakakaalis e mag-expire na IELTS mo? If you have extra money for that, no problem.

In my case, I may opt to seek employment asap and when I have adjusted to the environment, I will go for further studies on a staggered basis. If language assessment will be needed, that will be the time I'll have my Acad module. I think and if I am not mistaken, standard naman exam nila anywhere in the world.

Personal reason: sa kagaya kong parent, kelangan ko ng balance. I can't sacrifice family life for immediate career advancement. I may consider being employed in a company that will sponsor my studies than sending myself to school at my personal expense (why not, kung willing naman employer na maggrant ng scholarship). CGA muna then eventually, in God's will... CA na din.

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
abilex said:
timbangin mo rin ha, may expiration validity ng IELTS. One year lang di ba? What if hindi ka pa nakakaalis e mag-expire na IELTS mo? If you have extra money for that, no problem.

In my case, I may opt to seek employment asap and when I have adjusted to the environment, I will go for further studies on a staggered basis. If language assessment will be needed, that will be the time I'll have my Acad module. I think and if I am not mistaken, standard naman exam nila anywhere in the world.

Personal reason: sa kagaya kong parent, kelangan ko ng balance. I can't sacrifice family life for immediate career advancement. I may consider being employed in a company that will sponsor my studies than sending myself to school at my personal expense (why not, kung willing naman employer na maggrant ng scholarship). CGA muna then eventually, in God's will... CA na din.
tama ka jan abilex. i've read somewhere na there are CA training offices who shoulder the expenses of their student trainees when they take the exams, sana makakuha tau ng info kay amitaf regarding this one. at kng may sweldo ba kahit student CA pa lng.

cguro ako diretso na CA kasi 1 subject na lng pag aralan ko. but i will look for a part-time job din in case wlang sweldo ang student CA to survive.

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
meanne said:
At mimi,

Nung nagtake ako ng IELTS, GT module ang kinuha ko. Although, malayo pa ang lalakbayan ng papers ko ( still waitng 2nd AOR sa London office) baka ung IELTS ko hindi na valid pagnarelease ang visa ko so malamang eh magtake ulit ng panibago.

Nabasa ko minsan pag requirement ata to study dapat, Academic module ang kuhanin.
actually narinig ko yan just a few days before i took the exams, nawindang yng grupo ng CPA's sa class namin. kasi may mga nurses na canadian immigration ang purpose for taking the exam pero Acad ang iti-take as advised by their agents, kasi need daw for studying in canada, para isang hirap lng.

magshift na din sana ako ng module but the review center discouraged me kasi GT daw prep ko, baka maapektuhan daw performance ko. kaya ayun.

meanne

Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2010
Doc's Request.
09-06-2010
AOR Received.
10-08-2010
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
11-10-2012
Med's Done....
31-10-2012
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
July 2013
Hello to all,

Datuganol, tanong ko lang kung ano na update regarding transcript evaluation request from CMA Ontario. Sa akin kasi they sent me an email last Friday informing that I am eligible to take the Accelerated program. Eto yung copy ng email,
" Thank you for your interest in the CMA-designation. Your transcript has been reviewed, and found to be eligible for the next offering of the Accelerated Program in August. Please see the attached accelerated program application form for your convenience. Please complete the form and fax in to 416 977 2128 or email to info@cma-ontario.org The enrollment deadline has been extended. Please get your application in as soon as possible as centre locations fill up quickly. You will receive a copy of your evaluation report to your preferred mailing address in the next 2-3 weeks. If you have any more questions please contact candidate support at 416 204 3102 or by email at info@cma-ontario.org"

mimi0713

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
AOR Received.
11-03-2010
Med's Request
23-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-10
hi!

musta na lahat ng forumers dito? let's keep the thread alive!!!!!! let's keep planning ;D ;D ;D and make our hopes and dreams alive.

u might want to read this http://www.afcatoronto.org/newsletter/Spreadsheet/Summer%202010/SpreadsheetSummer2010.pdf

very informative and inspiring from filipino cpa's in toronto.

CGA's and CA's have now one thing in common: both designations can engage in public practice.

hmmmmnnnnnnnnn :-X

happy reading!

abilex

May 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
4131/ 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
IELTS Request
done.
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
10-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2011
LANDED..........
Vancouver, BC (2011)
I tried the link, damaged daw ung file? :(

toronto lang ba or even in other provinces? if only my relatives are in toronto, parang the best the magstart dun... kaso, andun sila sa vancouver so if "who you know" matters in getting a job, my chances are greater in BC...

Thanks