+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filipino CPAs to Canada, What are your plans?

carladavid16

Jan 25, 2011
CGA Toronto

Anybody po who is enrolled to CGA Toronto? Kaka-enroll ko lang po and gusto ko sana may makilala din ako ng kapwa Filipino. Im enrolled to BC2.

Thank you!

honney

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
ms.reannox said:
hi fellow filipino CPAs.. I am roxanne. Still here in the philippines. waiting for my LMO for my visa. reading the previous post.. im getting interested with the CA/CMA/CGA/CPA. Can you give me some advices on what to prepare here in the philippines if i decided to take one of the four.. I would like to be a CA.. since only business law is required but 3 years of CATO is difficult cause i wont be earning money, if im right? so the best possible thing is for me to become a CMA/CGA. which do you think is for me if my experience here in the philippines is in corporate setting? the common req for CMA and CGA and the cost of achieving those? and the time ?:)

sorry for the many questions :-[

BTW..i only have 6 months of experience here as of now.
hi miss roxanne...just like you, i am also a CPA...just want to know how you are able to avail of a LMO...did you apply for a job in Canada?...how did you find your employer?..what job did you apply for?...actually, i am also interested to work in Canada, i just don't know how to go about it...thanks in advance for your reply...God bless!

harx

Aug 22, 2012
HI. just want to share my experiences and ideas.

I am by the way here in Calgary, ALberta.. We migrated here last 2009 and currently have Permanent resident status. I was a fresh graduate and CPA board passer when I came here, so I don't really have the experience of working as CPA in the Philippines. Honestly speaking, having only those credentials (BSA grad, CPA passer) is not really helpful for me to find a job related to accounting, even clerical jobs. But I think it varies to different people. Connections would really be a great help to find those kinds of jobs, i believe, because they would want somebody recommended by someone they already know. Based on my experience in job searching, employers would really prioritize someone with related degrees,certificates, or experience that are earned here in canada. But if you already worked in related field for quite sometime there in the philippines, they could probably consider that. I know it is really hard to start form the very start, especially to those who already enjoyed their work in there. I think, what I can only suggest (if you will find it hard to find similar job that you have in the Philippines) is to get certificate (which can be earned for at least 6months or so, depending on the certification), you can also grab the opportunity of free training that is usually offered by immigration agencies or groups (free or may cost lesser than usual fee).

What Filipinos usually do here is working while studying. Working as cashier, sales clerk, waiter, etc. for your first few months is common in here. It won't be that painful :) you can use what you earn during those times for your personal needs/bills or for your tuition if you are planning to continue studying. I tell you, you can even save some. you just need to be more patient because that is part of adjusting to your new environment. furthermore, those jobs is also considered as canadian experience. But as they say, make sure you will not stay too long in those survival jobs. Having enough connections and experience, I know you will be much closer to the job that you want.

In my case, I am currently registered as a CGA student. If you are BSA grad in the Philippines, they would normally assessed your transcript as having completed the Foundation Level in CGA prgram ( except those that you need to have in canadian context like Business Law). Right now, I'm in Advance level. I'm taking one course(subject) every session(summer,fall,winter,spring). As of now, I'm heading on my examination for my third course here. By the way, I had a loan to finance my studies as what students usually do here since it is,indeed, expensive. I availed the Immigrant access fund loan. Application was easy, but payable after two years, though(in my case). If I will take one course per session which the CGA recommend (but you can request for additional load), I can probably get all courses done for less than 3 years. I am taking online studies since I work at morning and it is more convenient (you dont have to transfer credits if you took course from other post secondary school, no need to request for examination since you are already registered when you take online course, and they send you your books which is included in your tuition). But if you are planning to take CGA, take note that completion of the courses is not enough, 2 years of experience in related field(refer to their web site) is required. It is advisable that while studying, you are also working in completing the required experience. That is what I am struggling right now. My job is not even related to accounting. So now I am thinking of looking for a related job first. I am planning to get a certification for a few months as a full time study. BUt I am still making up my mind on how it will work given that I need to work, even part time, and still take CGA course. I might not enroll in CGA for the next sessions.

But, just so you know, CGA just emailed every student about MEntoring that they offer for those people who are experienced in foreign country. I think this will be very helpful for those who want to complete the requirements for being a CGA faster, given that they have number of years of experience in the field. SOrry, I forgot some of the details.

Hope this helps. Good luck to us :)

jho111

Sep 2, 2010
North York, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
1111; 1231
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-10
Doc's Request.
30-07-10; sent full docs 16-11-10
AOR Received.
05-01-11
IELTS Request
done 31-07-10
Med's Request
21-11-11
Med's Done....
12-12-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14-02-12, sent 21-02-12
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-12, rec'd 30-03-12
LANDED..........
11-09-12, To God be the glory!!!
harx said:

I am by the way here in Calgary, ALberta.. We migrated here last 2009 and currently have Permanent resident status. I was a fresh graduate and CPA board passer when I came here, so I don't really have the experience of working as CPA in the Philippines. Honestly speaking, having only those credentials (BSA grad, CPA passer) is not really helpful for me to find a job related to accounting, even clerical jobs. But I think it varies to different people. Connections would really be a great help to find those kinds of jobs, i believe, because they would want somebody recommended by someone they already know. Based on my experience in job searching, employers would really prioritize someone with related degrees,certificates, or experience that are earned here in canada. But if you already worked in related field for quite sometime there in the philippines, they could probably consider that. I know it is really hard to start form the very start, especially to those who already enjoyed their work in there. I think, what I can only suggest (if you will find it hard to find similar job that you have in the Philippines) is to get certificate (which can be earned for at least 6months or so, depending on the certification), you can also grab the opportunity of free training that is usually offered by immigration agencies or groups (free or may cost lesser than usual fee).

What Filipinos usually do here is working while studying. Working as cashier, sales clerk, waiter, etc. for your first few months is common in here. It won't be that painful :) you can use what you earn during those times for your personal needs/bills or for your tuition if you are planning to continue studying. I tell you, you can even save some. you just need to be more patient because that is part of adjusting to your new environment. furthermore, those jobs is also considered as canadian experience. But as they say, make sure you will not stay too long in those survival jobs. Having enough connections and experience, I know you will be much closer to the job that you want.

In my case, I am currently registered as a CGA student. If you are BSA grad in the Philippines, they would normally assessed your transcript as having completed the Foundation Level in CGA prgram ( except those that you need to have in canadian context like Business Law). Right now, I'm in Advance level. I'm taking one course(subject) every session(summer,fall,winter,spring). As of now, I'm heading on my examination for my third course here. By the way, I had a loan to finance my studies as what students usually do here since it is,indeed, expensive. I availed the Immigrant access fund loan. Application was easy, but payable after two years, though(in my case). If I will take one course per session which the CGA recommend (but you can request for additional load), I can probably get all courses done for less than 3 years. I am taking online studies since I work at morning and it is more convenient (you dont have to transfer credits if you took course from other post secondary school, no need to request for examination since you are already registered when you take online course, and they send you your books which is included in your tuition). But if you are planning to take CGA, take note that completion of the courses is not enough, 2 years of experience in related field(refer to their web site) is required. It is advisable that while studying, you are also working in completing the required experience. That is what I am struggling right now. My job is not even related to accounting. So now I am thinking of looking for a related job first. I am planning to get a certification for a few months as a full time study. BUt I am still making up my mind on how it will work given that I need to work, even part time, and still take CGA course. I might not enroll in CGA for the next sessions.

But, just so you know, CGA just emailed every student about MEntoring that they offer for those people who are experienced in foreign country. I think this will be very helpful for those who want to complete the requirements for being a CGA faster, given that they have number of years of experience in the field. SOrry, I forgot some of the details.

great post harx! many thanks for sharing some ideas.. i'm planning to do CGA too. :D
+1 for u

ritaritzie

Star Member
Feb 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2014
Nomination.....
CC Charged - January 16, 2015
harx said:

Hi Thanx for this post....We're are heading to BC bu February 2013. I am also CPA here in the Phils. I am in the process of getting my documents ready before we finally move there in Canada. SO can you share also the detailed steps and the requirements before you finally admitted as CGA student?...may I ask also how many subjects did CGA give you?.. I heard one friend also currently CGA student, she was given only 6 subjects and to finish it in 3 years. How about you?...thanx...

ms.reannox

Jul 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct.10 2014, Charged Dec 17, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Jan. 16 2015
AOR Received.
Feb 3, 2015 reached Ottawa
File Transfer...
RPRF Mar 9, 2015
Med's Request
Mar 10, 2015
Med's Done....
Mar 16, 2015; Uploaded Mar 23, 2015; 3rd Line: Mar 30, 2015
Passport Req..
May 26, 2015
[tr][td]

nice information!

hi honney, regarding to your question.. fortunately. i have been offered a job together with my aunt as bookkeeper/accountant in a auditing/bookkeeping firm. actually. its easier to find a job if you have relatives there who knows many employers to ask for vacancy. In my case, im just lucky to have this chance. hehe

btw, since i will be working as accountant/bookeeper. do you think this will be regarded as experience in CGA? does studying and working experience need to be done both at the same time or can i just work first then take the studying after 1 year?can my previous experinece be regarded?

and also.. if i can have this kind of experience, do you think it would be easier to find another job after my contract there? even if im not a CGA/CA? anyone please answer..hehe :)

harx

Aug 22, 2012
ritaritzie said:
Hi Thanx for this post....We're are heading to BC bu February 2013. I am also CPA here in the Phils. I am in the process of getting my documents ready before we finally move there in Canada. SO can you share also the detailed steps and the requirements before you finally admitted as CGA student?...may I ask also how many subjects did CGA give you?.. I heard one friend also currently CGA student, she was given only 6 subjects and to finish it in 3 years. How about you?...thanx...
Actually they have pretty much all the detailed steps in their website. But im not sure if it will vary depending on your province. With CGA-Alberta, I sent them my transcript and international qualification assessment services(IQAS) result. IQAS will usually be required since we are internationally educated. IQAS is done separately with CGA(try to visit IQAS website for more info and requirements). you can also get IQAS for free for your first time application. The best thing that you can do to know more on how to be a CGA is to email them (that's what I actually did). They always have specific email add for prospective students(you can find it on their website). I assure you they will answer all your questions and will reply to you asap. (that's one thing I admire with most of the companies/agencies private or government here. Their email add are so reliable and they really use it as means of communicating)

With the courses(subj), Out of the total of 22 courses required to complete academic requirements, I had 11courses credited, thus leaving me another 11courses more to take. I enrolled last dec2011, and as of now, Im getting my third course done.. 8 more to go.. well, lucky your friend for having only 6 courses to take. They said I should meet all the requirements (academic and practical) not later than 2019. I believe I can get all requirements done by that time, hopefully.

ritaritzie

Star Member
Feb 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2014
Nomination.....
harx said:
Actually they have pretty much all the detailed steps in their website. But im not sure if it will vary depending on your province. With CGA-Alberta, I sent them my transcript and international qualification assessment services(IQAS) result. IQAS will usually be required since we are internationally educated. IQAS is done separately with CGA(try to visit IQAS website for more info and requirements). you can also get IQAS for free for your first time application. The best thing that you can do to know more on how to be a CGA is to email them (that's what I actually did). They always have specific email add for prospective students(you can find it on their website). I assure you they will answer all your questions and will reply to you asap. (that's one thing I admire with most of the companies/agencies private or government here. Their email add are so reliable and they really use it as means of communicating)

With the courses(subj), Out of the total of 22 courses required to complete academic requirements, I had 11courses credited, thus leaving me another 11courses more to take. I enrolled last dec2011, and as of now, Im getting my third course done.. 8 more to go.. well, lucky your friend for having only 6 courses to take. They said I should meet all the requirements (academic and practical) not later than 2019. I believe I can get all requirements done by that time, hopefully.
Thanx...by the way, did you get documents/certification from PICPA?...

harx

Aug 22, 2012
ms.reannox said:
[tr][td]

nice information!

hi honney, regarding to your question.. fortunately. i have been offered a job together with my aunt as bookkeeper/accountant in a auditing/bookkeeping firm. actually. its easier to find a job if you have relatives there who knows many employers to ask for vacancy. In my case, im just lucky to have this chance. hehe

btw, since i will be working as accountant/bookeeper. do you think this will be regarded as experience in CGA? does studying and working experience need to be done both at the same time or can i just work first then take the studying after 1 year?can my previous experinece be regarded?

and also.. if i can have this kind of experience, do you think it would be easier to find another job after my contract there? even if im not a CGA/CA? anyone please answer..hehe :)
Good for you. you already got that kind of job.
yes, it will definitely be regarded as experience in CGA. If you register(make profile) on their website and eventually admitted as CGA student, they will recommend that you post your experience and current employment in your CGA account. That way, they can assess your experience. you can also request for assessment of experience via your account. Any related experience can be regarded, i believe. you don't really need to work and study at the same time. actually, as they say, it is really important to plan your study. If you plan to study while working full time, make sure it will work for you. Or you can be a full time student to finish academic reqts faster and have part time work if you want to.

One thing that you should know, should you decide to be a student and enroll after successful assessment of transcript, you will be required to pay annual re enrollment fee to be regarded as a CGA student until you complete all your courses. Which means that you should pay this amount even if you are not enrolling, to continue being an affiliate of cga. But there are also options like having a non-active status for a year if you cant enroll in a course. having non-active status, you will pay lesser amount than the usual reenrollment fee. This is important because if you dont pay reenrollment fee you may get suspended or lose the credited courses. If that happens, getting back to cga again will require you to have your transcript assessed again, just like from the very start. so you really have to go through if you decide to enroll. Maintaining a status as CGA student can also help you to be more attractive to employers. you can include it to your resume.

In our field of profession, we are always in demand. So, I am confident that it will be easier for you to find another job after that, not to mention you already have the experience. :)

harx

Aug 22, 2012
ritaritzie said:
Thanx...by the way, did you get documents/certification from PICPA?...
WHat do you mean by that? How will I get that? Actually, after passing the board exam and getting my licence I dont know what to do next. I was too preoccupied on how to continue my life here in canada. How can I maintain being a CPA on the phils?

ritaritzie

Star Member
Feb 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2014
Nomination.....
harx said:
WHat do you mean by that? How will I get that? Actually, after passing the board exam and getting my licence I dont know what to do next. I was too preoccupied on how to continue my life here in canada. How can I maintain being a CPA on the phils?
I mean, I got info that CGA will need also Certificate of Good Standing from PICPA. I'm in the process of collating all my documents while we are still here in the Phils. By Feb we will be landing in Vancouver. So I applied for a new copy of my TOR, Diploma, plus course description etc... Unfortunately, I not yet complete with our documentation. So with regards to PICPA, I was told/ or I read one comment here, and that certification will be provided by PICPA as this is one of the requirement in CGA..As of now I haven't contacted PICPA office. By the way, we are both CPA with my hubby. My membership in PICPA is active but my hubby didn't renew any membership since the first time to apply PICPA membership when he passed the board exam in 2001.

harx

Aug 22, 2012
ritaritzie said:
I mean, I got info that CGA will need also Certificate of Good Standing from PICPA. I'm in the process of collating all my documents while we are still here in the Phils. By Feb we will be landing in Vancouver. So I applied for a new copy of my TOR, Diploma, plus course description etc... Unfortunately, I not yet complete with our documentation. So with regards to PICPA, I was told/ or I read one comment here, and that certification will be provided by PICPA as this is one of the requirement in CGA..As of now I haven't contacted PICPA office. By the way, we are both CPA with my hubby. My membership in PICPA is active but my hubby didn't renew any membership since the first time to apply PICPA membership when he passed the board exam in 2001.
oh, I didnt know that. I guess I need to ask CGA about that. thanks for the info.

Big Mike

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harx said:
For PICPA, we have an international chapter in Calgary whom you can contact directly and just ask for some info on how to get your membership renewed.

Maintaining your CPA license in the phils is another story since it includes renewing your license in PRC.

I'll be permanently settling in Calgary soon and had just started my CGA assessment in Calgary, may I ask what school did you get the required courses?

Thanks

harx

Aug 22, 2012
Big Mike said:
For PICPA, we have an international chapter in Calgary whom you can contact directly and just ask for some info on how to get your membership renewed.

Maintaining your CPA license in the phils is another story since it includes renewing your license in PRC.

I'll be permanently settling in Calgary soon and had just started my CGA assessment in Calgary, may I ask what school did you get the required courses?

Thanks
Im taking their online courses offered. I enroll directly to CGA using my account. But i know a fellow CGA student who took cga courses at SAIT.

honney

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
ms.reannox said:
[tr][td]

nice information!

good for your you...thanks for your reply...God bless!