+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filipino CPAs to Canada, What are your plans?

ravenbc

Feb 17, 2015
raizen_22 said:
Hello everyone..

I will am a CPA here in the philippines and will be moving to alberta soon.. could you please advise kung anung dapat iprepare na documents in landing a job there? If mag uupgrade ako.. may mga kaylangan bang documents para dalhin ko na before i leave the country?

Thanks in advance.
Please on this site.. https://cpacanada.ca/en/become-a-cpa

Andy83

Jul 28, 2014
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
File Transfer...
12-05-2015
Med's Request
13-05-2015
Med's Done....
15-05-2015 submitted to CEM 04-06-2015
Passport Req..
26-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-2015
LANDED..........
21-05-2016
Hi!

Query lang nirerecognized po ba ang mga international certification sa Canada such as Certified Information System Auditor, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner? If yes, is there any chance na makakuha ng job sa Canada na related sa work ko dito sa Pinas pag may ganun certification? plan ko sana magtake before ako pumunta ng Canada may ganun kasing inooffer ang company namin.

Thanks in advance.

Scout

Star Member
May 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
File Transfer...
PER 01-10-2014
Med's Request
12- 01-2015
Med's Done....
26-01-2015
Interview........
waived, 3rd Line/Medicals recieved 11-02-2015
Passport Req..
23-03-2015, Passport sent 14-04-2015, DM 30-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2015
LANDED..........
July 2015
Hello pips,

Interesting discussions, hoping to arrive in BC with family in July. Has decided to change career in Canada, wishing to fulfill a longtime dream of becoming a CPA. Has read a little about the need to take CPA Preparatory Educ Program and having an eye on Diploma in Accounting at UBC. Hope to hook up some of you guys in Vancouver. :) :)

ravenbc

Feb 17, 2015
Scout said:
Hello pips,

Interesting discussions, hoping to arrive in BC with family in July. Has decided to change career in Canada, wishing to fulfill a longtime dream of becoming a CPD. Has read a little about the need to take CPA Preparatory Educ Program and having an eye on Diploma in Accounting at UBC. Hope to hook up some of you guys in Vancouver. :) :)
Hi Scout,

That's great. Hoping to see you around here in Vancouver. my email is ravenzye_0226@yahoo.com in case you need something and I can help you with, it is my pleasure.

spensierato

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 3, 2014
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
Nomination.....
October 29, 2014
AOR Received.
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
Not Applicable
Med's Request
January 30, 2015
Med's Done....
February 9, 2015
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
March 3, 3015
Hi. Pahelp naman po. :) Has anyone tried the transcript evaluation for CPA Prep? I was wondering if anyone can give me an insight whether accounting subjects I've taken up in the Philippines would be given credit so lesser subjects na lang kailangan ko itake? Or would a UBC DAP be the best way to go? Sana someone can share their experience. Thanks in advance!

Scout

Star Member
May 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
File Transfer...
PER 01-10-2014
Med's Request
12- 01-2015
Med's Done....
26-01-2015
Interview........
waived, 3rd Line/Medicals recieved 11-02-2015
Passport Req..
23-03-2015, Passport sent 14-04-2015, DM 30-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2015
LANDED..........
July 2015
ravenbc said:
Hi Scout,

That's great. Hoping to see you around here in Vancouver. my email is ravenzye_0226 @ yahoo.com in case you need something and I can help you with, it is my pleasure.
Salamat ng marami ravenbc! will definitely save your email add. nakakatawa nga talaga tong life-changing decision na ito. We are excited but at the same time worried. I'm in my early 40's pero ngayon lang magsimula sa designation na CPA, though in my line of work here in the Phils. am required to pursue advanced degrees (MS/MA, the PhD, then post-doc). So iniisip ko nalang na imbis PhD ang matatapos ko, hehe CPA designation nalang. Sa dami ng detours at misdirection sa buhay, di ko akalain na mababalikan ko pa ang dati kong dream. See you very, very soon. will be staying in Coquitlam with a brother-in-law. God bless you.

mangosix

Jul 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 7, 2010
Doc's Request.
February 23, 2013 / March 4, 2014
AOR Received.
April 11, 2013 / March 27, 2014
Med's Request
March 4, 2014
Med's Done....
March 14, 2014
Interview........
IN
Passport Req..
GOD'S
VISA ISSUED...
PERFECT
LANDED..........
TIME! <3
spensierato said:
Hi. Pahelp naman po. :) Has anyone tried the transcript evaluation for CPA Prep? I was wondering if anyone can give me an insight whether accounting subjects I've taken up in the Philippines would be given credit so lesser subjects na lang kailangan ko itake? Or would a UBC DAP be the best way to go? Sana someone can share their experience. Thanks in advance!
I tried the transcript evaluation earlier this year (since it's free haha), in the hopes that we'll land some time after (I'm still in MNL tho). I am a Management Accounting graduate, and we share about 90% of our curriculum with the BSA. We take up the same courses, but we finish the program in 4 years while they finish BSA in 5 years (5th year including Auditing Problems and Theories and board exam subjects). As per my evaluation, only the non-core subjects (Intro to Financial Accounting, Intro to Management Accounting, and Statistics) were credited. I have to start with PREP's Module 4 and finish until Module 12. I'm planning to finish Econ here in Manila, and the remaining eight modules prior to entering PEP when the time comes in Canada. I'm not sure about UBC-DAP, but CPA PREP's 50% passing rate for challenge exams isn't bad either. It'll take you about a year to complete it.

Downside of PREP is that some subjects are pre-requisites. Even if I have taken up Advanced Accounting, they can't credit the respective units since Economics is a pre-requisite of Financial Accounting. I only have Intro to Econ and Macroeconomics in my university transcript. I haven't taken up Microecon yet so they can't credit Module 4 even if i completed 2/3rds of it. Best of luck!

spensierato

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 3, 2014
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
Nomination.....
October 29, 2014
AOR Received.
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
Not Applicable
Med's Request
January 30, 2015
Med's Done....
February 9, 2015
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
March 3, 3015
mangosix said:
I tried the transcript evaluation earlier this year (since it's free haha), in the hopes that we'll land some time after (I'm still in MNL tho). I am a Management Accounting graduate, and we share about 90% of our curriculum with the BSA. We take up the same courses, but we finish the program in 4 years while they finish BSA in 5 years (5th year including Auditing Problems and Theories and board exam subjects). As per my evaluation, only the non-core subjects (Intro to Financial Accounting, Intro to Management Accounting, and Statistics) were credited. I have to start with PREP's Module 4 and finish until Module 12. I'm planning to finish Econ here in Manila, and the remaining eight modules prior to entering PEP when the time comes in Canada. I'm not sure about UBC-DAP, but CPA PREP's 50% passing rate for challenge exams isn't bad either. It'll take you about a year to complete it.

Downside of PREP is that some subjects are pre-requisites. Even if I have taken up Advanced Accounting, they can't credit the respective units since Economics is a pre-requisite of Financial Accounting. I only have Intro to Econ and Macroeconomics in my university transcript. I haven't taken up Microecon yet so they can't credit Module 4 even if i completed 2/3rds of it. Best of luck!
Hi. Mangosix! Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I am planning to land in July and would want to have the assessment done sana before I leave para pagdating ko start na sana agad sa course. Would like to ask sana how long did it took for you to receive the assessment and how did you send the transcript for assessment? Did the university send it? Or you sent it? Was the sending done by mail or through email? Medyo limited kasi yung information sa CPABC website. Sayang din kasi if uulitin ko pa yung subjects. Btw, where are you planning to take up Microeconomics? Parang wala din ako nun. haha.

Best of luck din sayo! :D

mangosix

Jul 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 7, 2010
Doc's Request.
February 23, 2013 / March 4, 2014
AOR Received.
April 11, 2013 / March 27, 2014
Med's Request
March 4, 2014
Med's Done....
March 14, 2014
Interview........
IN
Passport Req..
GOD'S
VISA ISSUED...
PERFECT
LANDED..........
TIME! <3
No prob. I apologize for not indicating na CPA Ontario ako nagpa-assess.

I'm not really sure if they send the transcript results within the same amount of time, but as for me, 5 weeks after ko pinadala thru email, may assessment results na (it'll take them 4-6 weeks to assess your package). I scanned my TOR and attached it sa application form. They sent an acknowledgement receipt after a couple of days, saying na official TOR na daw yun. Nagulat ako kasi I thought unofficial yun, thinking na TOR will only be deemed OFFICIAL if CPA Ontario will receive it DIRECTLY FROM MY SCHOOL. Again, di ako sigurado pero before enrolling as a student of CPA Ontario, dun lang ata kailangan ng TOR directly from your school. Pag assessment, kahit scanned TOR na muna.

If nasa website, I think you can send it thru post office or courier pero time-wise and cost-effective i-email mo nalang! Haha. Well since a few schools changed their academic year, I'll look for a summer class nalang offering micro. :) Happy trip since you're bound to BC!

Apr 24, 2015
Hi there! is this still an active thread? I'm looking for a job in Canada. I am also a CPA. i couldn't follow all the details in the thread. just want to ask if there are certain things I need to do before applying for jobs there.

boldon

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8 June 2010
Doc's Request.
20 October 2010
AOR Received.
January 2011
IELTS Request
included in application
File Transfer...
not applicable
Med's Request
13 February 2014
Med's Done....
19 March 2014
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
3 May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
2 June 2014 (yahoo!)
LANDED..........
mid October 2014
hello... due to the pending unification, sa alam ko di na open ang CGA to new members.

All interested parties will now need to apply under the CPA program

As for jobs, you will need to understand na walang mutual recognition agreement ang PICPA with any of the professional accountancy bodies sa Canada. So apart from going through the education assessment, the following route is generally taken:

1. take the modules to transition to CPA (i think 12 modules to)
2. After going through the modules, formally enrol and apply in the CPA program
3. I suggest looking for a job in an approved training organization to obtain the mandatory work experience and competency hours (ie tax)
4. study and pass all the exams

Reminder also for newcomers, the modules are expensive and in addition, enrolment in the CPA program will cost an arm and a leg (if you are not working for an approved training organization) so research research muna tayo bago sumabak

pfcastelo

Sep 28, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
26-11-2010
Med's Request
12-10-2011
Med's Done....
24-10-2011
Passport Req..
01-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-2012
LANDED..........
30-07-2012
Kamusta? Any updates from all of you?

spensierato

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 3, 2014
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
Nomination.....
October 29, 2014
AOR Received.
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
Not Applicable
Med's Request
January 30, 2015
Med's Done....
February 9, 2015
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
March 3, 3015
pfcastelo said:
Kamusta? Any updates from all of you?
Hi! Kumusta ang job market diyan for accountants?

lowvisibility

May 25, 2015
Hello po!

Has anyone tried to enrol sa UBC DAP??? I left after I finished my undergraduate degree po so hindi po ako CPA. I've read through UBC DAP and hindi po ako sure kung ag undergraduate ko is icoconsider nila na undergraduate din for me to enrol. Meron po ba ditong nakatry na? Whoever is living here in Victoria. I'd love to see you around.

Thank you!!