+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing tax for a PR who is employed outside Canada

gd

May 9, 2009
Hi experts,

I am a Canadian PR Holder (from Asian subcontinent) employed outside Canada. In fact, I never had an employment in Canada, but, my family is residing in Ontario for the last one year. My two sons are in university and college in Ontario, who have applied and received OSAP student loans. My wife started to work in a fast food restaurant two months ago. I chose to stay where I was before we became PR and support the family financially from where I am. I have visited Canada for brief periods three times totalling maximum 4 months. During one of such times, I applied and received my Ontario Health Card. I sent approx CAD 3,500 for my family's expenses monthly. My annual income from my employment outside Canada is approx CAD 58,000.

1) Do I need to file annual tax return in Canada?

2) If I must, what is the best way to do it? Do I need to hire a tax consultant for that purpose?

3) What will happen if I chose not to file tax, as I am not employed ever in Canada?

4) Obviously, my wife and sons will need to file tax returns. If I chose not to file tax will it be a problem for them, when they file their taxes?

I appreciate for your quick advice on the above points.

Regards

gd

P.S.: Can you recommend a tax consultant in Kitcheher Waterloo area for my family to file their taxes???