+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing a complaint against immigration doctor

Matrix254

Aug 15, 2013
In 2013, I was requested by CIC to undergo medical assessment for my PR application. During the session, the doctor asked me to strip and checked/touched my genitals. At the time, I thought this was the protocol. This week, I was checking for some information online when I came across this line "The doctor or medical clinic staff won’t examine your genitals or rectal area. These parts of the body aren’t required for the immigration medical exam." ( source https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html#physical ) I feel violated by this doctor's action (I did the medical exam in Canada, I'm already a Canadian citizen). Should I file a complaint with CIC, I don't want any unsuspecting, desperate applicant to go through what I went through under the hands of this doctor! Anyone experienced this in their medical exam? Please advise.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The issue is that this was a long time ago.

I'm not sure whether the rules around examinations have changed in the past six years - first find out whether they have changed. Perhaps back then a genital examination was part of the procedure?

If you have proof that it wasn't, then you can think about complaining.

Matrix254

Aug 15, 2013

I'm not sure whether the rules around examinations have changed in the past six years - first find out whether they have changed. Perhaps back then a genital examination was part of the procedure?

Thanks for your advise, I'll check with CIC first. I do know my friend wasn't subjected to genital examination, we got PR same year

Matrix254

Aug 15, 2013
It becomes hard to prove cases of sexual harassment that happened a long time ago.
I agree, I just want to make sure it's on record what this doctor did. Just in case he does this to another unsuspecting applicant and they complain, CIC will know this is something he has done before.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
In 2013, I was requested by CIC to undergo medical assessment for my PR application. During the session, the doctor asked me to strip and checked/touched my genitals. At the time, I thought this was the protocol. This week, I was checking for some information online when I came across this line "The doctor or medical clinic staff won’t examine your genitals or rectal area. These parts of the body aren’t required for the immigration medical exam." ( source https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html#physical ) I feel violated by this doctor's action (I did the medical exam in Canada, I'm already a Canadian citizen). Should I file a complaint with CIC, I don't want any unsuspecting, desperate applicant to go through what I went through under the hands of this doctor! Anyone experienced this in their medical exam? Please advise.
Yes, you can file a complaint. Contact the relevant Regional Medical Office. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/panel-members-handbook-2013.html#app1.3

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Genital exams were never a part of immigration medicals.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
I agree, I just want to make sure it's on record what this doctor did. Just in case he does this to another unsuspecting applicant and they complain, CIC will know this is something he has done before.
I hope they take your complaint into cognisance and investigate further.

soubhik_1992

Sep 3, 2017
Surrey
Category........
FSW
You aren’t alone. Happened with me as well and I thought it was protocol. Happened in early 2018. Yours happened in India?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You aren’t alone. Happened with me as well and I thought it was protocol. Happened in early 2018. Yours happened in India?
Hope you reported the physician. Repeat complaints are the only way that IRCC and the police will know there is a problem. Please think of other women who could be assaulted in the future.

soubhik_1992

Sep 3, 2017
Surrey
Category........
FSW
Hope you reported the physician. Repeat complaints are the only way that IRCC and the police will know there is a problem. Please think of other women who could be assaulted in the future.
Am a guy. Even men aren't safe in India :D I didn't because I didn't know whether it wasn't acceptable at that point of time. Was like one of those arrogant doctors. It's three years now, so don't know how fruitful it is. Just came across the info that you cannot when looking for my wife's PR application.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Am a guy. Even men aren't safe in India :D I didn't because I didn't know whether it wasn't acceptable at that point of time. Was like one of those arrogant doctors. It's three years now, so don't know how fruitful it is. Just came across the info that you cannot when looking for my wife's PR application.
You should still report it. This kind of behaviour should never be tolerated. File a complaint, keep it calm and factual, and then leave the rest to IRCC.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree with @21Goose the more reports IRCC receives about the doctor the better. Very probable that you would only discover that this is unacceptable a few years later. It doesn't come up in normal conversation. At least for your piece of mind you know that you reported him. Men or women can be equally taken advantage of. Happens in Canada although it is certainly less acceptable. I'm very sorry that you were assaulted.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Definitely report it. I did my exam in the US and learned after the fact that the doctor approved by IRCC had actually had his licence revoked in the state. I don't think IRCC vets them exceptionally well.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Definitely report it. I did my exam in the US and learned after the fact that the doctor approved by IRCC had actually had his licence revoked in the state. I don't think IRCC vets them exceptionally well.
They don't. Some barely do any exam which is what they're supposed to do to determine whether someone would lead to excessive demands on the health system. Some also charge exorbitant fees and require "extra" testing that may not be asked for by IRCC. Remember some woman was told she needed to do a CT in addition to the x-ray for TB without any major concerns that would warrant a CT. Lots of inconsistency but a major revenue driver for many of these doctors.