+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

file Canadian taxes? remote US worker, common law work permit, no PR

thrashertm

Mar 1, 2012
Must I file Canadian taxes once I obtain common law marriage status (my fiancee is a skilled worker) and an open work permit? I am staying in BC, working remotely for a US company, and have no financial ties to Canada (bank account etc.) I intend to continue working remotely for my US employer, so I think the main taxable justification would be my common law status and that I will be residing in BC. I understand that I can have my US taxes paid deducted from the Canadian taxes, but I understand that my US tax obligation will be lower overall, so I would just as soon not file Canadian taxes at all.

Thanks for your advice.

dcpaley

Jun 28, 2010
Ontario Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are physically present in Canada for 183 days or more in a given year, you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes and must pay Canadian income tax on your worldwide income. If you are also a US citizen, you are required to file your US tax return as well but may be able to use a foreign tax credit to offset the Canada taxes.

Sounds like you should be reporting and paying tax in Canada.

thrashertm

Mar 1, 2012
dcpaley said:
If you are physically present in Canada for 183 days or more in a given year, you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes and must pay Canadian income tax on your worldwide income. If you are also a US citizen, you are required to file your US tax return as well but may be able to use a foreign tax credit to offset the Canada taxes.

Sounds like you should be reporting and paying tax in Canada.
Thanks so much for your reply. That was also my conclusion based on my research, but I figured I'd double check.