+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FIDO, Koodo, Wind - which one is good for starters?

SkilledPro

Mar 13, 2009
can someone please help give inputs about their experiences. I think it is only practical not to tie up with contracts for now so I am leaning towards prepaid.

please help give inputs on FIDO, Koodo and Wind. if you can share some good info on other providers, please share.

Thanks

sonir

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yes
Try this to know more :)

http://bestbuy.comparecellular.com/

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Check the below threads. Read Qorax Posts.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-in-canada-all-you-need-to-know-t36735.285.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/do-not-get-wind-mobile-t65082.0.html

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
most of my friends use Fido. they say its good.

hondubai

Oct 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/11/2010
AOR Received.
received on 28/02/2011
IELTS Request
sent with documents
File Transfer...
27/03/2011
Med's Request
22/08/2011
Med's Done....
15/09/2011 Medical received on 11/11/11
Passport Req..
11/4/2012
VISA ISSUED...
12/5/2012 get passports back on 19/5/2012
Many would prefer WIND.

- There are no contracts, no system access fees, no 911 fees, or any other fees. However, the handsets are not subsidized either; you pay full phone prices upfront.
- First month of any new Wind plan is free.
- Wind allows you to buy just a SIM card (without a phone) and use it with your current (unlocked) handset. But, Wind operates on the AWS band (1700 Mhz/BandIV), and a majority of phones available in North America (like the iPhone) are not compatible with this band. However, a lot of new phones (including Google’s Nexus One) do support this band. Wind will verify if your current handset is compatible with their service.
- Some of the big 3 have changed their basic plans to compete with Wind. For example, Rogers now offers unlimited local calling on some of their plans.
-Wind has amazing deals on voice plans, but if you combine voice + data, your monthly bill can be the same as (if not more than) the big three.
- Wind offers Unlimited Wind to Wind calling on any voice plan.
- Wind has an amazing unlimited local calling feature in any Wind Home zone. If you’re in Toronto or Calgary (Vancouver, Ottawa, and Edmonton coming soon) there’s no roaming charge for using your phone.
- However, you pay 25 cents a minute for calls outside Wind home zone.
- Another great deal for travelers: All calls made from the US are charged at the regular Wind Away Zone rate (25 cents per minute). This is a huge benefit compared to charges from other carriers that can reach $2 per minute when you use your phone in the US.

http://adawnjournal.com/2010/01/18/should-you-switch-to-wind-mobile/

Kish7

Star Member
Jun 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Friend.. Try CHATR..

When i landed i was looking for a cheap though incoming/outgoing free (province wise) service and i got chatr for $ 25.. check it

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
SkilledPro said:
can someone please help give inputs about their experiences. I think it is only practical not to tie up with contracts for now so I am leaning towards prepaid.

please help give inputs on FIDO, Koodo and Wind. if you can share some good info on other providers, please share.

Thanks
As an imdt 1st phone/network provider -- I'd suggest go with WINDmobile.
- $25/month;
- No contract, pay-as-u-go;
- Unlimited i/coming, o/going - Canadawide;
- Basic handset [good one too] costs $60.

I still use mine - though over 1yr now in Canada; no headaches, no dropped-calls, no Wind-zone issues, no shock-bills... and a very friendly/cooperative/responsive CSR!

Qorax
Ps:
1. I've the Fido one as well -- but seldom use [kept as an alternative phone] - kept with the kids, when I'm away.
2. Chatr doesn't have micro-Sims, in case u want to use it for the iPhone4 [& similar].
3. Never go for Contracted plans - however sugar-coated they r... I did [initially, for the iPhone4] & paid thru my nose!
4. Do not think of BELL or Rogers.
5. 'City Fido' is nice as well.

SkilledPro

Mar 13, 2009
friends,

i really appreciate all your inputs. they are very helpful. I decided to get FIDO but I am still interested to know other provider as well to check what would be best for me in the long run.

THank you so much!