+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Few queries regarding IMM 0008 , IMM 5490

fdk_in

Sep 14, 2010
Hi
I am new to this forum and have joined this wonderful community to have a few queries cleared.

1. In form IMM 0008 (Background Declaration) Q9, do I have to say yes to applied for canadian visa before if my parents applied for visitor visa even though they are not applicants?
If yes, what details am I required to fill?

2. In q 11 and 15 (IMM 0008), what date should I fill in the TO column for my current activity and residence?

3. In IMM 5490, q 17, regarding when and where was marriage arranged, should I put the date and place the marriage was planned or the date when it happened?

4. In q 18, should I say yes or no to reception, since there was only one occasion where all the guests were invited for the marriage and traditional ceremonies were performed after the party.

5. Regarding maintaining contact, we used prepaid phones and calling cards. So as such, there is no record except few emails and couple of cards exchanged in mail. What to do in that scenario, since it is clearly mentioned not to attach any calling cards.

6. How many pics should we attach for proofs? We were classmates in college, so have few pics of the college time as well.

7. What to do if we donot know the exact day when we first met? It has been 6 years. All I remember is it was first day of our college.

8. Is it ok if the sponsor uses someone else's card to pay the fees online?

ilovemywife

Star Member
Sep 13, 2010
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6/6/2010
AOR Received.
7/8/2010
Passport Req..
7/29/2010
hi fdk_in. if you check the "guide" which is a PDF file that comes with the kit for those forms they have a very nice walkthrough on how to answer the questions. i think that will be a better help for you :)

fdk_in

Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for the reply. The guide doesn't explain how to answer these questions, thats why asked here.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
fdk_in said:
1. In form IMM 0008 (Background Declaration) Q9, do I have to say yes to applied for canadian visa before if my parents applied for visitor visa even though they are not applicants?
If yes, what details am I required to fill?
No, your parents are not included in the application as applicants.
2. In q 11 and 15 (IMM 0008), what date should I fill in the TO column for my current activity and residence?
The safest is to fill in the date you finish the application and send it off - the date you sign it. Technically, you don't know what will happen next week. Many people need more space for their answers for these questions, so attach a separate sheet of paper, in which case you can write in 'to present' or whatever.
3. In IMM 5490, q 17, regarding when and where was marriage arranged, should I put the date and place the marriage was planned or the date when it happened?
Put the date and place the marriage was planned. The date the marriage happened is the answer to a different question. They mean they want the details of who arranged your marriage, and how, when, and where these arrangements were made. So for example: both sets of parents met on Sunday, November 14, 2009 at 11 Bay Street, City, State, which is my parents' house. They discussed the arrangements for my wedding and decided the wedding would be held in two weeks time on Nov. 28. Our parents then met every other day for two weeks to finalize the arrangements. And so on.
4. In q 18, should I say yes or no to reception, since there was only one occasion where all the guests were invited for the marriage and traditional ceremonies were performed after the party.
Say 'yes' there was a reception. Explain that it was right after the wedding and included the traditional ceremony. Give a lot of details and show a lot of photos of it. Arranged marriages are fine for immigration, but they do expect to see a large, traditional, lavish celebration involving both families. Get photos of all guests (in large groups is OK), or a guest list, to prove how many people were there.
5. Regarding maintaining contact, we used prepaid phones and calling cards. So as such, there is no record except few emails and couple of cards exchanged in mail. What to do in that scenario, since it is clearly mentioned not to attach any calling cards.
If the country specific guide clearly states not to bother including phone cards, then don't. Just explain that is how you usually maintain contact. This is a weak point, so include all other proof of contact, such as the emails and cards. Frankly, I would start using your landline to call, or Skype, or some other method that proves who called whom and how often.
6. How many pics should we attach for proofs? We were classmates in college, so have few pics of the college time as well.
Since it is an arranged marriage, you need a lot of photos of anything to do with the wedding celebration and honeymoon. 50 each wouldn't be too many. Include all photos from college, and some from after the wedding. If you have taken trips together, get photos of these. Make sure there are some photos of each of you with the other's families.
7. What to do if we donot know the exact day when we first met? It has been 6 years. All I remember is it was first day of our college.
If you don't know the exact date, you can just put the month or season and year - you can always attach an explanation to any answer you want to explain in more detail. But since it was the first day of college, you should be able to go back 6 years and find out somewhere what that exact date was.

fdk_in

Sep 14, 2010
Thanks a lot for your detailed replies, canadianwoman.
It would be great if could clarify a couple of more points.

1. In q 18, regarding reception, the dinner, dance and meeting the guests happens before the actual ceremonies which take place late at night.
Some people give another party after marriage as reception at a later date. So that is why I am confused.

2. Regarding maintaining records, I have now started talking through skype, but that would record would be for only few days from now till I apply in a week or so.

3. We were classmates and it was a love marriage arranged by our parents. We were classmates for 4 years, have pics of parties together (40-50), engagement (40-50), period after engagement (20-30), marriage (100 or so), honeymoon (40-50) and few others. Hope that would suffice.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
fdk_in said:
1. In q 18, regarding reception, the dinner, dance and meeting the guests happens before the actual ceremonies which take place late at night.
Some people give another party after marriage as reception at a later date. So that is why I am confused.
If this style of celebration is normal in your culture, it will be fine with the visa officers. It is still a reception. In any case, you have to describe it, so give lots of details and proof - photos, receipts for things you had to buy or rent for it, etc.
2. Regarding maintaining records, I have now started talking through skype, but that would record would be for only few days from now till I apply in a week or so.
Keep talking using something that leaves a record. Keep these records. If there is an interview the visa officer will want you to bring in proof of contact since the application was filed, so you can show your Skype records then.
3. We were classmates and it was a love marriage arranged by our parents. We were classmates for 4 years, have pics of parties together (40-50), engagement (40-50), period after engagement (20-30), marriage (100 or so), honeymoon (40-50) and few others. Hope that would suffice.
For the number of photos, that sounds fine.
What do you mean by 'arranged by our parents'? On the forms when CIC talks about an 'arranged marriage', they don't just mean that someone planned the celebration. All weddings have someone who arranges things. CIC means by an 'arranged marriage' that the parents look for a good match for their son or daughter, and then introduce the couple. Or a matchmaker introduces two people she thinks will be good spouses for each other. Ordinarily the couple meet just before the wedding, sometimes only a day before, and don't really know each other. If your relationship is a love match and you have known each other romantically for years, it sounds like it is not an arranged marriage.

fdk_in

Sep 14, 2010
Yes, we had known each other for 4 and half years before marriage and parents came into the picture only 9-10 months ago. So what to fill in q 17 that "was your marriage arranged"? So should I fill no?

I really thank for the all the helpful advice provided.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It sounds like from what you've said that your marriage was not arranged. If your parents just helped plan the celebration, but did not actually choose your spouse, then it is not an arranged marriage and you should put 'no'. You can talk about all the planning involved in the wedding in your answers to the reception and wedding questions.

fdk_in

Sep 14, 2010
Ok, so I ll put no in arranged marriage question.

Another question, does the sponsor also have to fill background information form?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
No. The sponsor is your spouse, but the form says the spouse, if applicable, should fill in the form too. 'Applicable' here means 'also applying to immigrate to Canada', so as your sponsor is a Canadian citizen or PR already, she doesn't need to fill it in.

aj27

Apr 14, 2008
Philippines
Regarding Question number 1 and 2 in IMM 5490: When did you first contact your sponsor for the Q1 and Q2 when did you met your sponsor in person?

My husband and I we're neighbors and childhood friend. We we're 7yrs old is the first memory we had. I can give the year and possible month but the specific date? I can't since we we;re too young at that age. What should I do? What date will I put?

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
aj27 said:
Regarding Question number 1 and 2 in IMM 5490: When did you first contact your sponsor for the Q1 and Q2 when did you met your sponsor in person?

My husband and I we're neighbors and childhood friend. We we're 7yrs old is the first memory we had. I can give the year and possible month but the specific date? I can't since we we;re too young at that age. What should I do? What date will I put?
Don't put the date. Try to put the month and year and give an explanation in a separate sheet of paper. :)