+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Few OINP International Students Application Questions

gadoken

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
Hey there everyone, I have a few questions regarding my application:

1) Under the section "If you have engaged in full-time work in Canada, with appropriate authorization, please provide:", they're asking for things like

-Letters of reference from past employers
-T4s
-Notices of assessment
-Pay statements

There's also stuff like:
-Pay stubs and contracts

I don't have letters of reference since this is my first and only employer and I'm an international student which makes me believe that's okay. I've supplied my T4 and notice of assessment from 2015. I also don't have pay statements/stubs because we're not living in 1975. These aren't mandatory right? Will they ask me to provide these later on as they're processing my application?

2) The part where they ask me for my entire employment history since I was 18, I have worked lots of co-op jobs for school, do those count? I sincerely hope not since I was still technically a student although I did have a work permit as well. All I have put down for now is

18 till Graduation: student
Graduation till after a couple weeks after graduation: unemployed
until then till now: employed

3) Do I need to mention my high school since I was still in high school when I was 18 under work and education history?

Thanks for your time.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
You should have your employment letter. Just go and ask your employer for a letter of employment anytime. You don't have to leave the company to ask for it.

Secondly, almost every company in Canada has pay stub / pay cheque. However, it's either electronic or paper. Many companies do not send paper but it's available online. You should ask HR where to get it.

Since many people will apply for OINP when it's open again, your application may be returned if it's lack of document. If you miss this year, you may need to wait for another year. Some people just missed one empty page from their passports and their application got returned.

gadoken

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
karenv said:
You should have your employment letter. Just go and ask your employer for a letter of employment anytime. You don't have to leave the company to ask for it.

Secondly, almost every company in Canada has pay stub / pay cheque. However, it's either electronic or paper. Many companies do not send paper but it's available online. You should ask HR where to get it.

Since many people will apply for OINP when it's open again, your application may be returned if it's lack of document. If you miss this year, you may need to wait for another year. Some people just missed one empty page from their passports and their application got returned.
I am posting the original job offer letter which is required and also another letter describing the raise I got couple months ago. I don't think I'll need an employment letter since firstly they don't ask for it and secondly I got my papers signed by HR, I hope that's good enough indication that I still work here lol.

Pay stubs are available online but they only started having them available after June of this year. They're also not mandatory so I'm hoping that they won't return my application because of it.

I also don't think I can just apply again if they return my application anyways can I? It will be past the deadline to apply unless they give you some extra days to collect the documents you're missing.

Thanks for the help.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
Since last year, when OINP returns your applications, you can reapply if the program is still open. If it closes, you will need to wait for another year. In addition, many times the applications got returned when the program was closed (several months after the submissions).

I think you can submit your pay stub from June to now, it's good enough. Employment letter will indicate your current salary, your current status fulll-time/ part time, number of hours, and your job responsibilities. I don't think they want to read your employment contract to dig out these details. If you don't want to get it, take your chance and wait then.

gowthamp

Jun 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gadoken said:
Hey there everyone, I have a few questions regarding my application:

1) Under the section "If you have engaged in full-time work in Canada, with appropriate authorization, please provide:", they're asking for things like

-Letters of reference from past employers
-T4s
-Notices of assessment
-Pay statements

There's also stuff like:
-Pay stubs and contracts

I don't have letters of reference since this is my first and only employer and I'm an international student which makes me believe that's okay. I've supplied my T4 and notice of assessment from 2015. I also don't have pay statements/stubs because we're not living in 1975. These aren't mandatory right? Will they ask me to provide these later on as they're processing my application?

As you said, You don't have to provide letter of References as it is your first job.
Your T4 provides the information, for your payments from your employer. It is highly recommended to provide the available pay stubs (From June) - They area mandatory.

2) The part where they ask me for my entire employment history since I was 18, I have worked lots of co-op jobs for school, do those count? I sincerely hope not since I was still technically a student although I did have a work permit as well. All I have put down for now is

You have to provide all the information without missing any dates. References are not mandatory for this. As long as you don't provide references they just come under personal history.

18 till Graduation: student
Graduation till after a couple weeks after graduation: unemployed
until then till now: employed

3) Do I need to mention my high school since I was still in high school when I was 18 under work and education history?

You have to mention that you are in high school and it is recommended to provide graduation letter for that education history.

Thanks for your time.

gowthamp

Jun 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It looks like gadoken employer got approval recently.
Those who got approval can submit their application to OINP as the pre-screen approval valid for 60 days only..