N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
Thanks quasar81 for this INSANELY WONDERFUL news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To say that I'm overjoyed and on a "sugar high" :D right now would be an understatement.

Yes, indeed, the BCCLA are the biggest heroes of all time in my eyes!! I applaud them and thank them from the BOTTOM OF MY HEART for this effort. I will write them a personal note of thanks and I encourage everyone to do so. They need to know that a huge swath of populace supports the good work they do!! Frankly, I had heard about their lawsuit, but did not think too much of it because of my understanding that the Federal Court in Canada, as opposed to our Circuit Courts here in the US, are generally loathe to wade into legislation and "change it" (or maybe my perception is misplaced? ...at least it was in this instance, which was a very pleasant surprise)

Now although I've been fiercely advocating for Sen. Omidvar's amendment in the senate with regards to this grave issue, my preferred method of resolving this, was through the courts, declaring that it is PATENTLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL to revoke someone's citizenship on ANY grounds without affording that individual the HIGHEST level of due process with a VERY high burden of proof by the government!!

Finally, this decision will set a precedent and will resolve this issue FOREVER, where no future government can "legislate away" constitutional safeguards that are part of a citizen's right (no matter if that citizen is naturalized or natural born). As another forum member "marcher" correctly pointed out in another thread, legislation brought in under the current administration can be easily undone, if a future Trump-like fascist rogue government takes hold in Canada (not hard to imagine how that could play out, considering that it is on full display right now in the US, with the firing of director of the FBI, James Comey, as POLITICAL RETRIBUTION for investigating them!!).

Citizenship is such a precious right, that it should NEVER EVER be subject to being taken away on a "whim and a fancy". And that is exactly what C-24 allowed. I'm glad the courts recognized this insanity!! To be perfectly clear, I'm not saying that the right to citizenship is, in and of itself, absolute. Revocation of a naturalized citizen's citizenship is allowed in virtually all countries if fraud was involved in obtaining it (or if some very SERIOIUS offenses were committed). However most countries (including the US) make it EXTREMELY difficult to revoke it. The standard of proof is very very high (as it should be) and the burden of proof is ALWAYS on the government to prove their case!!

For instance, in the US, while green cards can be revoked for many reasons (sometimes done even for things like a DUI), the government still has the burden of proof!! It is only BEFORE an immigrant obtains an immigration benefit, does the applicant bear the burden of proof (in case they are accused of something). And here's the kicker: even in these circumstances the immigrant mostly has the right to appeal the decision of officers and lower courts (such as the BIA), all the way to the circuit courts (technically the Supreme Court, but it rarely hears appeals, unless they are of national importance, so for practical purposes the circuit courts are the last stop).

Wow, this is indeed the best news ever! I can sleep at night now! To some this may seem like an overblown reaction, but as someone who was mostly raised in the US (even though I'm of Indian ethnicity), growing up we're taught to be suspicious of everything, and I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. I don't however take it to the extreme like the "gun-nuts" who think they need their AK-47s because the government will come for them in the middle of the night, and they need to defend themselves :rolleyes: .......but saying things like "if you've not done anything wrong you have nothing to worry about" should sound absurd to any sane person, unless you've been brainwashed into thinking that your "fuhrers" :rolleyes: will always do the right thing!!

Last edited:
Reactions: vancouverbc2013

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
Also, I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the Canadian legal system. Can someone in the know please answer the following questions for me:
1) Can the government appeal this decision? I'm guessing it can.
2) Is the Federal Court of Canada that made this decision, the US equivalent of the US Circuit court of Appeal (just for my understanding).
3) If they can (and do) appeal it, would it be to the Supreme Court of Canada, or are there any courts to go to first, before the Supreme Court, and how likely is the Supreme Court to agree with this decision (based on past history etc.)?

Thanks!

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
This court judgement does not prevent future government to change citizenship act to amend the scope of citizenship and therefore make some people lose citizenship. Since you are worried about potential fascist government like Trump in the future, then Nazi government was a good example, the Nuremberg Laws they made followed all the democratic due process and made all non-German blood people lose citizenship. Future government can also change citizenship act to add conditions to maintain citizenship like current PR obligation, right now some European countries have similar laws for naturalized citizens. So no one can guarantee citizenship will never be lost, specially as non-native blood naturalized citizens in a country when the attitude changes towards strong nationalism.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Also, I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the Canadian legal system. Can someone in the know please answer the following questions for me:
1) Can the government appeal this decision? I'm guessing it can.
2) Is the Federal Court of Canada that made this decision, the US equivalent of the US Circuit court of Appeal (just for my understanding).
3) If they can (and do) appeal it, would it be to the Supreme Court of Canada, or are there any courts to go to first, before the Supreme Court, and how likely is the Supreme Court to agree with this decision (based on past history etc.)?

Thanks!

(1) The government can appeal this decision, see (2)
(2) The Federal Court (please note that the official name is just "Federal Court" and NOT "Federal Court of Canada" which is important in case you are googling things) is not an appeals court but rather the first court that deals with an issue like this. The respondents could now appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal. Technically, they could even draw this to the Supreme Court, since anything can be brought before the Supreme Court (but obviously the Supreme Court doesn't have to hear everything just because some joe shmoe made an appeal. They can just disallow it)
(3) See (2). As for the second part of the question: I don't think anyone on here could reliably predict the Supreme Court's decisions.

Also, note: The Federal Court has in fact decided that the revocation process is NOT unconstitutional. It does NOT violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (which is part of the Constitution of Canada). The ruling explicitly says so. It is "only" against the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights has a higher legal status than a regular law but it is not constitutional. It just means that the only way parliament can enact a bill that is not in accord with the bill of rights if it says in the bill (in this case, the citizenship act), that "it shall operate notwithstanding the Canadian Bill of Rights". Obviously, bill C-24 didn't do that. Parliament could enact the exact same procedure, simply adding this single sentence, although of course this is an extremely unpopular move because the government would openly admit that they want to go against rights that are usually preserved.

But still, the Federal Court explicitly stated that the rules are constitutional and that they "just" go against the Bill of Rights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tubsmagee

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
This court judgement does not prevent future government to change citizenship act to amend the scope of citizenship and therefore make some people lose citizenship. Since you are worried about potential fascist government like Trump in the future, then Nazi government was a good example, the Nuremberg Laws they made followed all the democratic due process and made all non-German blood people lose citizenship. Future government can also change citizenship act to add conditions to maintain citizenship like current PR obligation, right now some European countries have similar laws for naturalized citizens. So no one can guarantee citizenship will never be lost, specially as non-native blood naturalized citizens in a country when the attitude changes towards strong nationalism.
I dare to say that I'm a bit of an expert on German constitutional matters :) and you cannot compare the constitutional structure of the third reich to the constitutional structure of Canada (or contemporary Germany). The Weimar Constitution allowed the passage of laws that simply said "this bill applies notwithstanding the constitutional rights" without needing to specify in what sense particular rights are ignored.This couldn't happen in Canada because even if Parliament itself enacted the law, they couldn't just say "this is in force despite the constitution". They would have to change the wording of the constitution first which needs consent of several (if not all) provincial legislatures. It is so hard to change the significant core of the Constitution of Canada in fact that they can't even reform the Senate although most politicians want to do so

These points apply in a similar fashion (But for other reasons) to the current German constitutional framework by the way, but let's concentrate on Canada here.

All this doesn't say that some fascist regime could just not care about the law and do whatever they want. But they couldn't go against the constitution while still appearing legal like the nazi regime did.

However, the point is mute for this discussion since, see my previous post, the C-24 revocation rules were explicitly ruled to be constitutional by the Federal Court.

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
My point is both Citizenship Act and Bill of Rights are not part of Canadian Constitution so government can easily change them (like who can be citizens and who has what rights) following the normal legislation process not the constitutional amendment process. In theory, if there will be a nationalist right wing majority government in the future following Trump or Le Pen, they can easily change both laws legally to make some people lose citizenship. Also no any court judgement can prevent government to do so. Even Canadian Citizenship Act 1946 and Bill C-37 in 2008 already made many people lose citizenship so this is nothing new.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
My point is both Citizenship Act and Bill of Rights are not part of Canadian Constitution so government can easily change them (like who can be citizens and who has what rights) following the normal legislation process not the constitutional amendment process. In theory, if there will be a nationalist right wing majority government in the future following Trump or Le Pen, they can easily change both laws legally to make some people lose citizenship. Also no any court judgement can prevent government to do so. Even Canadian Citizenship Act 1946 and Bill C-37 in 2008 already made many people lose citizenship so this is nothing new.
Yup, indeed. It's not unconstitutional, so they can technically do what they want.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some Observations:

The Canadian Bill of Rights is statutory.

The Charter of Rights is constitutional.

Parliament can enact and the government can apply laws which deprive Canadians of the rights prescribed in either the Canadian Bill of Rights or in the Charter of Rights.

The difference is in what is required to make a law which limits, abridges, infringes, or restricts a right protected by the Charter or the Bill of Rights.

In general, for either, the need, the reason, must be part of the legislation itself which imposes the limitation. Generally, limitations on Charter Rights must meet a higher threshold of need (stronger, more compelling government interest) than limitations on those rights prescribed by the Bill of Rights. (Getting into this in much depth demands an expertise most lawyers do NOT have or even pretend to have. Analyzing the elements of balancing tests and such can make nuclear physics seem sophomoric by comparison.)

For some Charter rights, like mobility rights (Section 6 in the Charter), there are relatively specific limits described for such rights. The Charter also enumerates several specific exceptions to the right of liberty, for example.

But otherwise, in general any of the rights prescribed in the Charter may be subject to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Thus, for example, if Parliament has a rational purpose for limiting certain rights of individuals, such that the purpose and government interest outweighs the negative effect on the individual's rights, Parliament may enact a valid limitation on those rights. Thus, for example, there are many Canadians held involuntarily in prisons pursuant to a whole body of law which prescribes the public interest in incarcerating certain individuals so long as certain fair process requirements are met. (I know of no one who genuinely feels that locking up criminals is an unconstitutional deprivation of the right to liberty; there is much disagreement about how much is fair and just, but not about the right of the government to prescribe what constitutes an offense for which incarceration may be imposed.)

So the mere fact that a law impinges or restricts an individual right, under either the Bill of Rights or the Charter of Rights, does not mean the law is inoperative, invalid, or unconstitutional. Identifying the nature and extent to which it has a detrimental impact on rights is merely a beginning point in analyzing the validity or constitutionality of a law.

Note: the Constitution, including the Charter of Rights (which is Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982) can be changed. The procedure to amend or change the Constitution is far more difficult than adopting statutory provisions. That difficulty is in large part the hurdle the Liberals could not hope to overcome in reforming the electoral process, and so gave up on that. That difficulty is a huge part of why so many dismissed NDP promises, if elected, to abolish the Senate.

But make no mistake, the Constitution may be amended.

To my view, my sense is that Justice Gagné's ruling is probably DISAPPOINTING.

The official decision is not yet publicly published. The news media stories about the force and effect of this decision are inconsistent.

CBC reports:

[Justice Gagné's ruling]. . . means going forward, the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration will no longer have the power to decide on their own, to revoke someone's citizenship if they feel it was obtained by lying or concealing information.

In contrast, the Globe and Mail stated it differently, quoting one of the lawyers involved, Lorne Waldman (a well known and regarded activist but also known for hyperbole):

The ruling, which would halt the current citizenship revocation process, comes into effect in 60 days, and the government has 30 days to appeal.

“Legally, the government can still use the revocation process for 60 days. I would hope that they won’t continue using it, because the court found it unconstitutional,” Mr. Waldman said.

Obviously both cannot be correct. And we know that Mr. Waldman's characterization is, in particular, not entirely correct since all the various reports about this decision indicate that Justice Gagné did NOT find these provisions in the Citizenship Act to be "unconstitutional," but on the contrary the provisions allowing for revocation without a hearing violates the individuals' right to a fair hearing. This is contrary to Section 2(e) in the Canadian Bill of Rights, which are statutory rights (not constitutional), pursuant to which a law may not (unless it meets certain requirements and is expressly declared as such)

"(e) deprive a person of the right to a fair hearing in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice for the determination of his rights and obligations; "

If the common elements in the various media stories are accurate, however, that means that Justice Gagné rejected the argument that the procedure prescribed by Section 10(3) and 10(4) in the Citizenship Act is contrary to Section 7 in the Charger of Rights:

"7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice."

Other Federal Court justices have, by the way, in effect enforced the revocation of citizenship pursuant to the revised no-hearing provisions in the current Citizenship Act, or otherwise refused to also stay revocation in other cases. They did not see a violation of the Bill of Rights let alone the Charter.

Some additional decisions related to revocation under the revised (no hearing) procedure include:

http://canlii.ca/t/h32c8

http://canlii.ca/t/gxj8v

Esnan v. Canada (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship), 2016 FC 1264 (CanLII) and Al Madani v. Canada (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship), 2016 FC 1263 (CanLII) are companion cases in which a stay was denied.

http://canlii.ca/t/gx1rg is a decision by Justice Strickland upholding revocation pursuant to the same provisions challenged in the case decided by Justice Gagné.

And there is Justice Manson's decision in the Montoya case http://canlii.ca/t/gsmn8

Why this is disappointing:

To my view, taking away a person's citizenship is not like seizing the person's car or bank account. Citizenship is not a mere incident of property.

However one characterizes what it is that citizenship is, as a privilege or a right, it is not like a license to sell real estate.

Some of the discussion in the other cases makes distinctions like losing citizenship is not equivalent to deportation, emphasizing that the government must meet a whole other set of requirements to deport someone. That, to my view, is a cheap and disingenuous evasion.

To my view, any approach to citizenship which fails to recognize that it is an essential element of life, liberty and security itself, undermines the very fabric of a democratic society . . . after all, to take away a person's citizenship disenfranchises that person.

I do not know the precise reasoning employed by Justice Gagné, but I do know that it would be unjust to have a system of law which reduces the role of citizenship to be on a par with a license to practice dental hygiene, or any other licensing or regulation of professions, for which there is a substantial body of law illustrating the procedural protections against arbitrary termination. That is, a right to a fair hearing is not enough.

The current law is an outrage. There is virtually no disagreement about this outside the Conservatives who adopted and implemented it. It was profoundly disappointing that the Liberals did not address this serious flaw in the Citizenship Act when Bill C-6 was being drafted.

Unfortunately I am not sure the language of the proposed amendment in this regard is the right approach. This kind of legislation demands very careful coordination with all its moving and static parts. My sense is the amendment is, as Lorne Waldman is urging, the better path, even if it is short of perfect and will need further ironing later.

In the meantime, however, there remains more than a little to be disappointed about: from the less than encouraging, and sometimes disingenuous approach in how the Minister of IRCC has handled several of these revocation cases, to the way in which the Liberals are continuing to apply the draconian provisions for cessation of protected person status, pursuant to which some persons long qualified for citizenship have been denied citizenship based on some travel they did a decade ago (long before the Harper government implemented the provision to, in effect, penalize these persons by automatically terminating their PR status, with no consideration for H&C factors).

Reactions: spyfy

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The Judge's ruling basically reinforces that Canadian citizenship is a privilege, not a right.

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
So shame it's finally ruled that Canadian citizenship is just like a golf club membership, you need to earn it and maintain it yet the club can still change the terms and conditions or end your membership anytime. In many civilized countries, citizenship is established and protected by the Constitution, is a right for life. Apparently Canada is not one of them.

Last edited:

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
The Judge's ruling basically reinforces that Canadian citizenship is a privilege, not a right.
Absurd. If citizenship is not a right, you have no rights at all. But such sentiment is not surprising--it is a key feature of our post-liberal pseudo-democratic order. In this view, basically everything is just a privilege granted to you by the state. Hobbes would be proud.