Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016

@rosemarie

Feb 14, 2018
hi, no i didnt ask for urgent procssing. the officer just told me that the oath taking ceremony would be on mid december.

samsk2018

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Hey , I have few questions
1. after the citizenship ceremony, can we apply for the Canadian passport immediately or is there a waiting period?
2. As I am from India, when do I submit my passport back to them? where can I deposit it back in Saskatchewan?
3. Is there a fee and a time period to deposit back your Indian passport?
4. when can I apply for OCI or PIO? which is better and recommended out of these two? are these cards having an expiration date as well?

thanks for whosoever replies to these questions.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
1. after the citizenship ceremony, can we apply for the Canadian passport immediately or is there a waiting period?
2. As I am from India, when do I submit my passport back to them? where can I deposit it back in Saskatchewan?
4. when can I apply for OCI or PIO? which is better and recommended out of these two? are these cards having an expiration date as well?

1. Wait for you Ecas status to change to "Complete" from "DM"
2. From what I understand you are asking how to surrender Indian passport. So I am going to answer that. I suggest you wait till you receive your Canadian Passport and then apply for reunification of Indian Citizenship Certificate/Surrender Certificate and OCI at same time. You can apply for it together at BLS India.
3. Yes there is a fee associated with it. It must be done within 3 months after acquiring foreign Citizenship.
4. PIO's are discontinued. So you will have to apply for OCI at BLS India, you might have to look on BLS website for location info. OCI has lifetime validity but you have to renew it once you are 50.

Good luck.

Reactions: samsk2018

samsk2018

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
1. Wait for you Ecas status to change to "Complete" from "DM"
2. From what I understand you are asking how to surrender Indian passport. So I am going to answer that. I suggest you wait till you receive your Canadian Passport and then apply for reunification of Indian Citizenship Certificate/Surrender Certificate and OCI at same time. You can apply for it together at BLS India.
3. Yes there is a fee associated with it. It must be done within 3 months after acquiring foreign Citizenship.
4. PIO's are discontinued. So you will have to apply for OCI at BLS India, you might have to look on BLS website for location info. OCI has lifetime validity but you have to renew it once you are 50.

Good luck.
Thanks

abhishekgoel007

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2011
Canada > Alberta > Calgary

1. you can apply for passport the same day as at the time of ceremony you get your citizenship cert.
2. if you want to apply for oci then you need to submit your passport back, you need to contact indian consulate to get that info on where to submit your passport, make sure you keep copies of that.
3. yes they charged me like $250 to surrender my passport.
4. you can right away apply for OCI after you get your canadian passport, I got mine in 6 weeks, i am in calgary, they dont do PIO card anymore, and they dont have any expiry dates. it says lifetime visa

Reactions: samsk2018

frozenbc

May 19, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
Med's Request
24-03-2015
Med's Done....
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
Took the test today, and passed with 20/20. The officer said everything was in order and that my oath ceremony would likely take place in Victoria in early October. I'm still waiting on actual dates, though.

Cheers!

samsk2018

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
1. you can apply for passport the same day as at the time of ceremony you get your citizenship cert.
2. if you want to apply for oci then you need to submit your passport back, you need to contact indian consulate to get that info on where to submit your passport, make sure you keep copies of that.
3. yes they charged me like $250 to surrender my passport.
4. you can right away apply for OCI after you get your canadian passport, I got mine in 6 weeks, i am in calgary, they dont do PIO card anymore, and they dont have any expiry dates. it says lifetime visa
what are the charges for getting OCI? CAD 250 per passport to surrender, that's insane amount of money.