BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
It looks like Mississauga is doing my BGC, but Ottawa is processing my eligibility.
Heres why I think so:
-My fingerprints from RCMP went bad, so I was requested to send more to,
Please send the documents/information to the address listed below:

CPC Mississauga - FCPAPR
PO BOX 6100, Station A
Mississauga, ON L5A 4H4

-Then in the update from my MP, it says the eligibility for common law is taking place in Ottawa.
So is it possible both offices are working on our application?

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
It looks like Mississauga is doing my BGC, but Ottawa is processing my eligibility.
Heres why I think so:
-My fingerprints from RCMP went bad, so I was requested to send more to,
Please send the documents/information to the address listed below:

CPC Mississauga - FCPAPR
PO BOX 6100, Station A
Mississauga, ON L5A 4H4

-Then in the update from my MP, it says the eligibility for common law is taking place in Ottawa.
So is it possible both offices are working on our application?
Interesting. Hopefully it will get done sooner if they are working on both simultaneously!

Reactions: Masonb6888

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
Interesting. Hopefully it will get done sooner if they are working on both simultaneously!
That's what I'm hoping for, if not Ottawa is already done and just waiting on mississauga to approve my BGC..

Reactions: majesty
Jun 5, 2017
Canada
App. Filed.......
21-02-2017
Doc's Request.
28-08-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
09-03-2017
IELTS Request
15-03-2017
File Transfer...
20-03-2017
Med's Request
25-07-2017
Med's Done....
27-07-2017
Immigration Background Check
  • From what I understand about the background check process, the main part of the security screening is done by CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service). Obviously CSIS would also be working closely with the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police), and your bio metrics will be cataloged in both agencies databases for future use. CSIS's main purpose will be to collect evidence and data about the applicant and associates, and to disclose, asses and determine the threat level of any past doings, or future ambitions for criminal activity, terrorism, espionage, violence, subversion, gang activity, drug trafficking, human trafficking, etc.
The depth and intensity of the screening can greatly differ from what countries you have traveled too, how many countries, the frequency of traveling, how long the stays where, what you did there, where you work, who you where in contact with, etc.​

CSIS's screening operation statement is bellow:

"Immigration and Citizenship Screening
As authorized by sections 14 and 15 of the CSIS Act, the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Citizenship Act, CSIS conducts immigration and citizenship screening to provide security advice to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on persons seeking some form of status or protection in Canada to ensure that they do not represent a threat to national security.

Through this program, CSIS provides security advice on

• citizenship applicants;
  • permanent resident applicants;
  • temporary resident visa applicants, whether visitors, students or temporary workers; and
  • persons applying for refugee status in Canada.
While CSIS provides advice to its partners on potential threats to national security, the responsibility for decision making regarding a person’s admissibility to Canada as it relates to visa issuance (temporary or permanent resident visas) as well as citizenship applications belongs to IRCC. Decision on applications for refugee status in Canada are made by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB)."

• Canada is also part of an intelligence alliance called The Five Eyes (FVEY). This alliance is basically an intelligence and espionage sharing ring between five countries. I imagine CSIS would also work closely with these other agencies to see if the applicant and associates are on any of their radars or databases. Or a person of interest to these countries.
FVEY:

1. Canada
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)
- Canadian Forces Intelligence Command (CFINTCOM)
- Communications Security Establishment (CSE)

2. United States
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
- Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA)
- National Security Agency (NSA)

3. United Kingdom
- Defense Intelligence (DI)
- Government Communication Headquarters (GCHQ)
- Security Service (MI5)
- Security Intelligence Service (MI6 / SIS)

4. Australia
- Australian Secret Intelligence Service (ASIS)
- Australian Signals Directorate (ASD)
- Australian Security Intelligence Organization (ASIO)
- Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organization (AGO)
- Defense Intelligence Organization (DIO)

5. New Zealand
- New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS)
- Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB)
- Directorate of Defence Intelligence and Security (DDIS)

• As well, information will be requested from the police, government and security agencies of any country you have lived in. I have read this can cause delays sometimes, as CSIS must rely on the cooperation of other countries, and if information is delayed from them, there is not much they can do until it is provided. I also imagine INTERPOL (International Police Organization) is involved.
  • As stated in CSIS's statement, all of the past and future security information and threat assessments are provided to Canada's Immigration agencies, which is reviewed and determined if you are admissible into Canada with the provided information. The background check is a long and in depth security assessment, and as long as you haven't participated in criminal activity or have an future ambitions too do so, you have nothing to worry about. The worst part will only be waiting.

Last edited:

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
  • From what I understand about the background check process, the main part of the security screening is done by CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service). Obviously CSIS would also be working closely with the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police), and your bio metrics will be cataloged in both agencies databases for future use. CSIS's main purpose will be to collect evidence and data about the applicant and associates, and to disclose, asses and determine the threat level of any past doings, or future ambitions for criminal activity, terrorism, espionage, violence, subversion, gang activity, drug trafficking, human trafficking, etc.
The depth and intensity of the screening can greatly differ from what countries you have traveled too, how many countries, the frequency of traveling, how long the stays where, what you did there, where you work, who you where in contact with, etc.​
All this did as make me proud of the fact I’m young. Haven’t traveled. And am not a criminal.

Hahha. Finally. Having a very limited travel life has paid off! (Joking. Kinda..)

Reactions: Jeremiah Jones
Jun 5, 2017
Canada
App. Filed.......
21-02-2017
Doc's Request.
28-08-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
09-03-2017
IELTS Request
15-03-2017
File Transfer...
20-03-2017
Med's Request
25-07-2017
Med's Done....
27-07-2017
All this did as make me proud of the fact I’m young. Haven’t traveled. And am not a criminal.

Hahha. Finally. Having a very limited travel life has paid off! (Joking. Kinda..)
Haha well that's good!

Even if you did travel lots, it might just add some time to the process. If you haven't committed any crimes or don't want too :p you really have nothing to worry about. The worst part is waiting for them to finally tell CIC that you're a good boy or girl.

lasca

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
File Transfer...
19-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
Hello all,
We also applied in Feb 2017, got sponsor approval in April, file was sent to local office in Rabat Morocco in July 2017. Since July the status is the same, i.e. 'We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements'. And there is also a message: 'We need more documents to continue processing your application. We will send you a message with more details.' Until now we have not received any requests from them. I called CIC Canada, sent requests to Rabat. CIC in Canada said that they do not know why this status is posted as they do not see the local office remarks or notes. Rabat is silent. Did anyone have or has at the moment the same situation?
thank you!

Jun 5, 2017
Canada
App. Filed.......
21-02-2017
Doc's Request.
28-08-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
09-03-2017
IELTS Request
15-03-2017
File Transfer...
20-03-2017
Med's Request
25-07-2017
Med's Done....
27-07-2017
Landing in Canada by Air for Outland Applicants

I wanted to write a detailed post about the landing process by air for Outland applicants, as you only become a Canadian permanent resident once you have landed at a Canadian port of entry and met with an immigration officer who approves your permanent resident VISA.

1) Packing: Once you have acquired your precious Canadian permanent resident VISA, obviously the next step will be to prepare to move to Canada. The most common way is by air, but no matter which port of entry you use the immigration laws will be the same. Since your moving to Canada, you will probably want to bring a lot more things, and possibly cultural things from your home country. But it's very important to know what you can and can't bring, and in which bags you should pack these things. Prohibited items found at port of entries can result in expensive fines, confiscation, criminal records and even refusal of entry into Canada in the most extreme cases. Plus, you don't want to start off your new life in Canada in a negative way with immigration. It is a good idea to research CBSA's (Canada Border Security Agency) website about guidelines and allowed / prohibited items.
2) Knowing what you have: It's very important to know what items you have, which bags there in, their value and why you have them. CBSA officers will ask you questions about what you are bringing into Canada. How many questions and how in depth the questions are will depend on your answers and attitude. If you say, “I don't know” this will automatically be red flagged and may result in hours added onto your border clearance. One of the best ways to help is to write or print a list that you keep in your passport. This can help you remember, and avoid hassle at the border. The list should at least include:
  • List of all gifts you are bringing into Canada and their values.
  • Brief list of jewelry and it's estimated value.
  • List of any food, plant and animal products, so you remember to tell the CBSA officer about it.
  • The total amount of currency you are bringing with you in Canadian Dollars.
  • Contact information of family and friends in Canada, or back in your home country. Include full names, phone numbers, addresses and email addresses.
  • Address and contact information of where you will be staying in Canada.
3) Declare your Money: As stated above, it’s a good idea to have the amount of currency your bringing into Canada written down and known by heart. Sometimes, a CBSA officer may ask you how much money you are carrying with you. BUT, if you are bringing more than $10,000 Canadian Dollars of currency, YOU MUST DECLARE this to a CBSA Officer whether asked or not. If you don’t declare this money, you will be fined and lose some or all your money. The reason they want to know about amounts exceeding $10,000 CAD, is so they can investigate and make sure it’s not going to be used for criminal or terrorist purposes.
4) Declarations: Normally, if you are travelling to Canada by air, you will receive a Declaration card on the plane to Canada. Which is a small piece of paper that you must fill out to declare the money, goods and intentions you have coming to Canada. You would then hand this card to a CBSA officer at the airport, who would check it.

But in a few Canadian airports and growing, are new security kiosks called “Primary Inspection Kiosks”. Instead of filling out a paper on the plane, you will now have to go to one of these kiosks upon arriving at the airport and answer some questions, scan your passport and take a photo. Then a receipt will be printed out, and you will need to take this receipt to a CBSA officer who will review it.

According to CBSA, the new kiosks are currently installed and operational at these Canadian airports right now:
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport – Terminal 3 (YYZ)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
As well, CBSA has come out with a new app called “eDeclaration”. This app can be used to create and save a declaration for 5 passengers on your mobile phone. It will create a QR code on your phone which then can be scanned at the “Primary Inspection Kiosks” completing the question part fast and simple.
5) Landing Interview: This is CIC’s information about the landing process from Outside Canada. In their statement, they say you must show proof of funds to support your family in Canada. But I have read that this doesn’t apply to Sponsorship applicants as it’s the duty of the sponsor to support the applicant. However, to be safe I would make sure you at least know your funds and make sure you can show them if asked. You never know!

If you are outside Canada
When you arrive in Canada, you will be greeted by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

The officer will ask to see your passport and other travel documents. Make sure they are not packed in your luggage, and that you have them with you. This will help speed up your entry to Canada.

When you arrive, you must have:

• Your valid passport and/or travel documents. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  • Your valid permanent resident visa (if you are from a country that requires visas) and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). The officer will make sure you are entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa. Please note that this document cannot be extended; therefore, you should make sure to use it before it expires.
  • Proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada. They will be similar to the ones you answered when you applied.

You will not be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information. After completing your COPR, the officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. The officer will also confirm your Canadian mailing address. Your permanent resident card will be mailed to you at this address.

If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must notify IRCC using this online tool.

Thank You

chrissy_c

Jul 4, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris Visa Office
File Transfer...
16-04-2017
Hello all,
We also applied in Feb 2017, got sponsor approval in April, file was sent to local office in Rabat Morocco in July 2017. Since July the status is the same, i.e. 'We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements'. And there is also a message: 'We need more documents to continue processing your application. We will send you a message with more details.' Until now we have not received any requests from them. I called CIC Canada, sent requests to Rabat. CIC in Canada said that they do not know why this status is posted as they do not see the local office remarks or notes. Rabat is silent. Did anyone have or has at the moment the same situation?
thank you!
I have had the same issue, and have a meeting with my MP tomorrow. Our status changed to "we require further documents to continue to process", but we have yet to receive a request, and it has been about 2 months. I order our notes, and there is no indication that anything is pending, but I want to have more certainty than that.

lasca

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
File Transfer...
19-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
I have had the same issue, and have a meeting with my MP tomorrow. Our status changed to "we require further documents to continue to process", but we have yet to receive a request, and it has been about 2 months. I order our notes, and there is no indication that anything is pending, but I want to have more certainty than that.
Are you also in Rabat office? And how MP can help? I guess because we are within the normal timeline (which is not 12 months) they simply do not bother to reply. I have requested the notes as well, got notification that they will be available in 30 days, which is beg.of November....I am just waiting for the unknown.

chrissy_c

Jul 4, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris Visa Office
File Transfer...
16-04-2017
Are you also in Rabat office? And how MP can help? I guess because we are within the normal timeline (which is not 12 months) they simply do not bother to reply. I have requested the notes as well, got notification that they will be available in 30 days, which is beg.of November....I am just waiting for the unknown.
I'm not, I'm in the Paris VO, which from what I've been reading on this forum is the very worst. I will not accept a negative decision on my husband's application for the VO's failure to request necessary documentation in a timely fashion. Approximately 2 months ago, our profile stated that they needed further information, but they never requested anything. I have reached out to them on multiple occasions, and each time, I got the basic response, and each time, I acknowledged and requested that the answer the question being asked, which was, "what documentation is required?" I work in the legal field, and find this pace disgusting. When a specific question is being asked of me, in the field I might add, if I fail to provide the answer to the question being asked, I'd be terminated! I'm sure there are tons of Canadians that would love to work at the visa office in Paris, why continue to employ inefficient individuals. I have ordered the notes two times, 2 months apart, and there has been no movement at all. I am appalled that 53.3% of my annual salary employs such people.

Reactions: Mari_8

lasca

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
File Transfer...
19-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
I'm not, I'm in the Paris VO, which from what I've been reading on this forum is the very worst. I will not accept a negative decision on my husband's application for the VO's failure to request necessary documentation in a timely fashion. Approximately 2 months ago, our profile stated that they needed further information, but they never requested anything. I have reached out to them on multiple occasions, and each time, I got the basic response, and each time, I acknowledged and requested that the answer the question being asked, which was, "what documentation is required?" I work in the legal field, and find this pace disgusting. When a specific question is being asked of me, in the field I might add, if I fail to provide the answer to the question being asked, I'd be terminated! I'm sure there are tons of Canadians that would love to work at the visa office in Paris, why continue to employ inefficient individuals. I have ordered the notes two times, 2 months apart, and there has been no movement at all. I am appalled that 53.3% of my annual salary employs such people.
I absolutely agree...I also work in Regulatory Field in Pharmaceutical industry where we get Clarification Requests from Government of Canada with very strict deadlines which can not be moved or shifted and where specific information should be provided to them. The whole purpose of linking our applications to the account was to keep us updated on the progress of the files and to eliminate millions of calls the lines are clogged with. The problem now is that they are bombarded with all the inquiries like us where people get very concerned that they are missing some crucial updates from them. Obviously someone is not doing their jobs. In relation to MP, how could he/she help in this case?

chrissy_c

Jul 4, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris Visa Office
File Transfer...
16-04-2017
I absolutely agree...I also work in Regulatory Field in Pharmaceutical industry where we get Clarification Requests from Government of Canada with very strict deadlines which can not be moved or shifted and where specific information should be provided to them. The whole purpose of linking our applications to the account was to keep us updated on the progress of the files and to eliminate millions of calls the lines are clogged with. The problem now is that they are bombarded with all the inquiries like us where people get very concerned that they are missing some crucial updates from them. Obviously someone is not doing their jobs. In relation to MP, how could he/she help in this case?
Honesty, I just want to be able to say, if necessary, that I've done my due diligence and we received no requests. MPs can act as an intermediary between you and a VOs. Also, I'm hoping they will pick up the pace. I am a January applicant, and there are very few of us still kicking about.

lasca

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
File Transfer...
19-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
Honesty, I just want to be able to say, if necessary, that I've done my due diligence and we received no requests. MPs can act as an intermediary between you and a VOs. Also, I'm hoping they will pick up the pace. I am a January applicant, and there are very few of us still kicking about.
Thank you very much! And I wish you success with your file and very fast re-union with your husband. I read people's stories here and I am really disturbed by the fact that immigration takes the liberty to dig into your adult decision to marry whom you love and feel happy with and approve not a person to enter the country but rather validate your marriage which in a country with personal freedoms should not be the case and there shouldn't be discrimination based on age, color, ethnicity or religion. Hope all of us who are still kicking in, will get some positive results or at least some sort of movement in the file.

Reactions: majesty

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Thank you very much! And I wish you success with your file and very fast re-union with your husband. I read people's stories here and I am really disturbed by the fact that immigration takes the liberty to dig into your adult decision to marry whom you love and feel happy with and approve not a person to enter the country but rather validate your marriage which in a country with personal freedoms should not be the case and there shouldn't be discrimination based on age, color, ethnicity or religion. Hope all of us who are still kicking in, will get some positive results or at least some sort of movement in the file.
You are not alone, there are applicants from January and before still around from the very slowest VO's like Mexico. Right now, they are still trying to clear out the applicants from Oct to Dec 2016 there. There are quite a few people who applied from this time period who are just getting their interviews this month. I am also a Jan applicant and don't expect to hear any news until at least December because Mexico VO has to finish processing the 2016 applicants first. I think when they update the website as to processing times, they should list the VO's stats from this year .... Mexico City would be at the 10 - 12 month average processing time, at least lately. Are there many other Jan applicants going through your VO?