+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fastest Office for Citizenship Processing

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
In your opinion, what are the top three fastest offices for Citizenship Processing.

I currently live in Mississauga, but plan on moving to the fastest location, 4 months before I will apply. I work from home so it is very do-able for me.

Any help and advice will be appreciated. Thanks

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
there's no way to determine this. Best to apply wherever you live.
Why incurr so many moving costs just for this.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
In your opinion, what are the top three fastest offices for Citizenship Processing.

I currently live in Mississauga, but plan on moving to the fastest location, 4 months before I will apply. I work from home so it is very do-able for me.

First of all, you are making the assumption that the citizenship office is a deciding factor in processing speed. There is no indication that that's the case. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Secondly, even assuming that there were such a connection, you are assuming that anyone on here has enough statistical data and the necessary methodological qualifications to give a reliable answer.

Thirdly, even if the above two assumptions were correct, you are assuming that the connection between office location and processing speed remains constant and doesn't fluctuate, based on staff changes, vacations, leaves, imminent changes of citizenship regulations (bill c-6 *coughcough*) so as to justify making a future choice based on data in the past.

All in all, this is a pointless endeavour.

rustic

Jun 16, 2017

Move to Niagara Region the office would be Niagara Falls which would be faster than GTA offices. You will moving not far off from Mississauga. The processing speed would be same before AOR as that is centralized from Sydney office. Once it moves to Niagara Falls office it would be faster even after C6 implementation. We are 2 applicants from Niagara Region for month of June. One has already received the oath date and i am waiting for my oath letter after DM.

rustic

Jun 16, 2017
Regardless of which office you apply at, Security clearance would be needed.
I agree about the security clearance part but other processing time is reduced significantly. Even if they receive the clearance from security agencies for everyone at the same time (if all clear) smaller offices like Niagara falls process those data faster due to less number of applicant. E.g on test dates we get around 10-12 people writing test. I dont know the numbers for bigger offices in GTA but it must be higher.

For me Niagara Falls office.
App Recvd 26th June
AOR 28th July
In process 15th August( till here it is Sydney office)
Test Invitation :28th August
Test Date: 11th Sept
DM: 14th September
So Niagara Falls office finished the whole application part within 29 days from In process. Oath may take some time but my work is over. i can get on with my life.

Warka

Star Member
Nov 15, 2016
I agree about the security clearance part but other processing time is reduced significantly. Even if they receive the clearance from security agencies for everyone at the same time (if all clear) smaller offices like Niagara falls process those data faster due to less number of applicant. E.g on test dates we get around 10-12 people writing test. I dont know the numbers for bigger offices in GTA but it must be higher.

For me Niagara Falls office.
App Recvd 26th June
AOR 28th July
In process 15th August( till here it is Sydney office)
Test Invitation :28th August
Test Date: 11th Sept
DM: 14th September
So Niagara Falls office finished the whole application part within 29 days from In process. Oath may take some time but my work is over. i can get on with my life.

I know of i a freind who finished every thing in 22 days and upto now is stuck with oath for 11 months and every time he calls its all the security clearance and his office is edmonton which clesrly one of the fastest. So its all dependant on how your security clearance goes.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I know of i a freind who finished every thing in 22 days and upto now is stuck with oath for 11 months and every time he calls its all the security clearance and his office is edmonton which clesrly one of the fastest. So its all dependant on how your security clearance goes.
Which country was he from?

rustic

Jun 16, 2017
Agreed! you are right. All the office process the application at the same speed.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010

I don't know which the fastest office is, but Mississauga ain't it!

Little bit of an old story, but I will share it with you anyway: Earlier, people could apply for citizenship at a place of their choice. A person I know, who lives in Mississauga, submitted his application at Hamilton office because of the faster turnaround time. Mississauga has historically been a not so fast office as you can see, I came to the same conclusion seeing the fact sheet of this very forum.

If you still want to move and apply, I would say, don't go to Montreal!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As others have aptly observed, the idea of moving for the purpose of manipulating where one's citizenship application will be processed, hoping this will mean faster processing, is at best utterly silly. Where to live? is a question for which there are many, many other more important factors to consider than how it will possibly affect the processing timeline for a citizenship application. Even if one could reliably forecast how it will affect the processing timeline (which one cannot predict).

And it is worth noting the fact of moving itself could have more impact (potentially negative) than which local office ends up processing the application.

Earlier, people could apply for citizenship at a place of their choice. A person I know, who lives in Mississauga, submitted his application at Hamilton office because of the faster turnaround time.
When was that?

A very old story that must be indeed.

For a long, long time the only office where a citizenship application could be submitted was the CPC in Sydney, no submissions to a local office. (In fact, I do not know if it ever was any different, that is that applications had to be submitted to a CPC rather than a local office, even if the CPC has not always been in Sydney.) And the applicant's residential address has long, long dictated in which local office the application was eventually processed.

There have been, however, anecdotal reports that CIC (before it became IRCC) allowed some applicants to choose, when they moved while the application was in process, whether to change offices or stay with an office already processing the application. That was for moves made after applying.

It might warrant noting that a decade ago Mississauga was considered (by many anyway) to be among the fastest offices for processing citizenship applications. So much so that a number of consultants were advising applicants (particularly from areas like Montreal, which indeed has long been thought to be among the slowest) to USE a Mississauga address, one provided by the consultant for a fee of course. When, ultimately, CIC finally caught on to the scheme (but not until four dozen or so applicants had applied using the exact same residential address, and hundreds overall had used addresses in what turned out to be within a single complex), it appears that some of the consultants relocated addresses to places like Hamilton, but that did not last long since CIC and the RCMP were on to them.

Among the cases in which an applicant was identified as using a Mississauga address even though the applicant did not live there, and was therefore denied citizenship, one applicant appealed asserting that he nonetheless met the residency requirement because he was living in Montreal the whole time and had used the Mississauga address on the advice of a consultant. The Federal Court was not sympathetic. He lost. Grounds for denial was misrepresentation.

When Mississauga was discovered to be the epicenter of fraudulent applications, of course that brought processing applications in that local office to a near standstill initially, and continued to make processing there dramatically slower while CIC and the RCMP investigated the full scope of the fraudulent schemes (this was 2008 to 2012). Nonetheless, by 2014 Mississauga again was among the offices many recognized as processing applications more quickly than many other offices. Indeed, by early 2014, when CIC was posting a 18 month timeline for routine citizenship application processing, but the forums were full of whining about it taking two years, I knew applicants processed in the Mississauga office who nonetheless sailed all the way through the process in barely six months, and I myself, also processed in the Mississauga office, took the oath in early 2014 barely eight months after my application arrived in Sydney.

In the meantime . . .

As others have aptly observed, there is no reliable source of data which would support concluding which offices are slower or faster . . . except, perhaps, one might nod to the persistent anecdotal reporting about Montreal as indicating it is likely to be among the slower ones.

As others have aptly observed, there are so many other factors which can influence how it goes when a particular application is processed, including how long it takes, that forum-shopping (as it is called when someone goes looking for which court is likely to be a more favourable forum to bring a case) is largely a futile effort, quite unlikely to have the desired impact.

Not all offices process applications at the same speed, but it is at least comparable (relatively minimal deviations), and again other factors will have a bigger impact on how quickly this or that particular application proceeds through the process.

Also note that how certain local office conditions might affect the timeline can be difficult if not impossible to predict, and they change from time to time. For example, while some local offices might have a lighter workload allowing individual officers an opportunity to get to applications sooner, many functions are done in batches, so even if an officer gets to an individual case sooner, the applicant can be stuck waiting in a queue for there to be a full batch to do the test or the oath.

As to security clearances, for example, most of these are done pursuant to the referral made by the Sydney office, prior to the application being transferred to the local office (but the clearance itself, when issued by the respective agency, RCMP and CSIS, is sent to the local office), so it does not matter which local office is processing the application. If IRCC needs to get an updated clearance, however, these too are done in batches, so a particular application can sit in a queue waiting for there to be enough applications needing an updated clearance for the local office to make the batch referral (last I knew, RCMP clearance referrals were being done in batches of up to a hundred applicants at a time). This is just scratching the surface of the variables which can affect processing timelines.

And overall, the biggest impact on the timeline is usually case-specific, whether or not there is some particular fact or circumstance in the individual case triggering an additional inquiry or non-routine processing of any sort (which can range from having a minor impact on the timeline to, in the case of full-blown RQ, perhaps a huge impact). The majority of qualified applicants who submitted an error-free application will sail through the process in roughly the same time as other similar applicants, regardless which local office handles the application, and that tends to be comparable to the fastest timelines being regularly reported (not the very fastest, some of which are suspect on their face, and otherwise are an anomaly, but the fastest timelines being regularly reported by numerous applicants).

During a particular time period, it is probably safe to generalize that a particular local office may be a month or two faster, a month or two slower, than this or that other one, but generally it does not vary much beyond that (except, possibly, a few like Montreal, if the reports about how slow processing is there are to be believed) and this appears to go back and forth, perhaps Ottawa appearing to be slightly faster than Mississauga one season, but then slower in another. And again there is no way to verify which actually was faster or slower. And no way to predict which will be faster or slower in the coming season or year.

Overall, an a prospective citizenship applicant needs to focus on making lifestyle decisions based on factors actually pertinent to the decision being made (where to work, where to live, and so on), and for purposes of the citizenship application:
-- gather and keep good records;
-- be prudent about deciding when to apply, including having a decent margin over the minimum; and
-- focus on following the instructions toward submitting a truthful and complete application as error-free as possible, and particularly so as to reporting travel dates in the presence calculator

That is far more likely to facilitate the fastest timeline.

Efforts to manipulate the facts, like moving so as to choose which local office processes the application, tend to be fraught with pitfalls and potential problems.

Reactions: majorsaab

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
So well explained !!!

I don't understand why people are in hurry to get citizenship as soon as possible. Will it make any difference in their life in Canada. Well, unless you really want to vote, or you want to stand as a candidate in an election. Or maybe, you want to get a government job that require high security clearance. Another reason could be you want to save on visa fees for travelling in some countries. Or maybe you are just waiting for passport and leave the country for good. Apart from these, is there any other benefit of becoming a citizen.

Just apply for citizenship and forget about it, continue with what you are doing. Don't paralyze your life thinking about citizenship 24x7.

One day you all are going to be a Canadian citizen, that's for sure.

One of my friend had his citizenship file dragged for almost 7 years, but he never bothered about it and never complained about it. He just did what he was required to do. Whatever documents CIC asked for he submitted those as and when required. Apart from that, he did nothing. He just concentrated on his work and family, and he has always been a very happy and successful man, loves every moment of his life. He used to tell me that he is allowed to live and work in Canada, that's enough for him. He applied in 2009 and got his oath done in mid of 2016.

So just send your application and forget about it.

Last edited:

Weltmeister

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Hello Warka, at which stage of the application is the security clearance, logically it should be before inviting the applicant for the citizenship test/interview. If your friend's application is stuck in security clearance after giving the citizenship test/interview that sounds odd.

Reactions: Ababga

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
I don't understand why people are in hurry to get citizenship as soon as possible....Apart from these, is there any other benefit of becoming a citizen.?
One can lose PR on account of not meeting RO. Secondly, one can lose PR if one gets entangled in a victim-less offense such as DUI. Citizenship is irrevocable....

Just apply for citizenship and forget about it, continue with what you are doing. Don't paralyze your life thinking about citizenship 24x7.
Good advice...

One day you all are going to be a Canadian citizen, that's for sure.
You never know, laws can change....

Or maybe you are just waiting for passport and leave the country for good. Apart from these, is there any other benefit of becoming a citizen.
On this topic, I can go on and on...

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
When was that?

A very old story that must be indeed.
I don't have the exact timeline, based on the data points I heard from this gentleman, most likely to be during the mid 1990s, two decades ago give or take. Old story indeed, said so myself...