+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship and Commow Law Spouse Sponsorship

raj garg

Jan 27, 2020
Hello Folks,

I really need your help and assistance on this.

I have a common law partner and would like to sponsor her. She has been living in Ontario and we both are living at the same place from past 2 years.

Also, I need to sponsor my parents later in 2020. I along can only meet 3 person minimum criteria of last 3 years. So when I say 3 - mother, father and myself.
If I sponsor my common law partner today, will it any how affect or cause any troubles for parents sponsorship?

Please let me know I am really stressed, due the fact that her work permit is expiring soon.

Once again, thank you so much for taking time to help on this.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
We don't know what the requirements for parent sponsorship in 2020 will be. However, I would assume that if you are proposing to sponsor your spouse and your parents, IRCC will expect to see income to meet a family of 4, not three, when evaluating the parental sponsorship - if income is part of the process.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to choose which of these is more important to you. Starting the spousal sponsorship now, or waiting until the details of the parental sponsorship program are released.

Be aware that we don't even know how parental sponsorship will work in 2020 - you may not even be awarded a chance to apply.

raj garg

Jan 27, 2020
Thank you for that information.
Sorry one more questions-
Lets assume , I sponsor my common law partner today.
How long does it takes for the approval process?
And if the Parents sponsorship opens in April 2020, will i be able to submit the parents sponsorship? and use my common law spouses income as well for co-signer. So that I can meet the income requirement for 4 people

Please let me know.

Thank you k.h.p

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Folks,

I really need your help and assistance on this.

I have a common law partner and would like to sponsor her. She has been living in Ontario and we both are living at the same place from past 2 years.

Also, I need to sponsor my parents later in 2020. I along can only meet 3 person minimum criteria of last 3 years. So when I say 3 - mother, father and myself.
If I sponsor my common law partner today, will it any how affect or cause any troubles for parents sponsorship?

Please let me know I am really stressed, due the fact that her work permit is expiring soon.

Once again, thank you so much for taking time to help on this.
Assuming LICO rules stay the same (which they should), you will not qualify to sponsor your parents this year. You have to include your common-law partner in the family size count regardless, so even if you don't sponsor her, you still need to show income for 4 people since you became common-law.

Her income can only be counted towards LICO if she is a Canadian citizen or PR.

Reactions: k.h.p.