+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family oath, kids visiting grandparents in US?

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, my kids might be visiting there grandparents in the US soon, can I attend the oath with my wife only, or do they have to be present in Canada during the oath ceremony?!
Thank you!

Flocan

Apr 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Your kids must only be present at ceremony if they were included in your application for grant of citizenship and were not already canadians.
So, if they are candidates for citizenship, they must accompany you to ceremony.

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a 4 year old who is not Canadian and included in our application, I thought that younger kids are not very welcomed to the ceremony?! there have been cases of people being asked to leave because of there loud kids!

Flocan

Apr 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry I was wrong
Children under 14 have no obligation to be present
Check here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-ceremony.asp

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you!!! but the question is do they have to be physically present in canada during the ceremony! I am not planing anything until i get this cleared! you never know what rules CIC has!

echorael

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
basharar said:
thank you!!! but the question is do they have to be physically present in canada during the ceremony! I am not planing anything until i get this cleared! you never know what rules CIC has!
Congratulations on your upcoming oath!! When you are scheduled for the ceremony?

Flocan

Apr 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As they do not have to be at ceremony what make you think they should be in Canada?

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know?! CIC might have some rule or something there! just being over cautious after all the horror stories i read!

Flocan

Apr 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand but since they do not have to be present I wonder how they could enquire on your kids and check if they are in Canada
Would not see the point

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
I do see the point of the question.

First, I don't know if there is a rule/requirement that everybody becoming Canadian has to be in Canada.

From the practical point of view, this must be considered: at the ceremony, you have to surrender the PR card of everybody who becomes Canadian. You must surrender the PR card of the 4 year-old.

If the 4 year-old is in the US at the time, the question is how s/he will return to Canada, and under which status. If the kid is taking a plane to go back to Canada, this will only be possible with the passport if s/he is from a visa-exempt country and if s/he carries the citizenship certificate. If the kid is returning by land, then s'/he can do so with the citizenship certificate alone. Either way, you must find a way for the citizenship certificate to reach the kid and for the kid to return by land if s/he doesn't have a visa-exempt passport.