+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Class Vs Spouse Class

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
Hello there! I am a US citizen that currently resides in AB, Canada. I am applying as a permanent resident (together with my 7 yr old child) through spousal sponsorship. My husband is a permanent resident here in Canada and is the step-dad of my daughter. My questions are:

1. under what class should I apply? Canada class or Family Class? I currently live with my husband, but I have no status yet.
2. I originally put Family class through the PR portal, how do I change that? or do I have to restart my process?

Thanks in advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You probably want to apply - as living in Canada with your spouse - under the Spouse or Common Law in Canada class.

If you were living apart and a few other specific cases, you might apply under the third checkbox (family class but in Canada).

Sorry, can't help you with the portal question.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
1. under what class should I apply? Canada class or Family Class? I currently live with my husband, but I have no status yet.
-- if you entered Canada within the last 6 months, you are a visitor. You do have status. Extend your stay as visitor before the 6 months is reached. If you don't, you may fall out of status at that point. (other options but I am not going to add in here to confuse you)

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
-- if you entered Canada within the last 6 months, you are a visitor. You do have status. Extend your stay as visitor before the 6 months is reached. If you don't, you may fall out of status at that point. (other options but I am not going to add in here to confuse you)
Thank you so much for the clarification! I entered within last 6 months and currently on my 4th month. Do you know how I'm able to get a proof of my status (as a visitor)? It is asking me to provide it on the application. I am open to the other option too. Thanks!

joannagat

Jul 21, 2021
You probably want to apply - as living in Canada with your spouse - under the Spouse or Common Law in Canada class.

If you were living apart and a few other specific cases, you might apply under the third checkbox (family class but in Canada).

Sorry, can't help you with the portal question.

Thank you so much for your response! I found out that this is what I initially put:
Program under which you are applying
Family
Category under which you are applying
Spouse
Subcategory under which you are applying
Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class

Does this look correct? Thank you so much.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much for your response! I found out that this is what I initially put:
Program under which you are applying
Family
Category under which you are applying
Spouse
Subcategory under which you are applying
Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class

Does this look correct? Thank you so much.
It does look correct but I'm not so familiar with the portal steps.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your daughter should be applying for a study permit now not a visitor to attend school since she is not the biological child of a Canadian citizen or PR.