+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failed refugee claimant - Common law PR - return to home country

Yvr4life

Sep 30, 2023
Hello,

I hope someone might be able to shed some light on this situation for me.

I need to return to my home country and I’m afraid of what trouble it could bring my way.
I applied as a refugee claimant almost 2 years ago. At my hearing, even though the board member found my claim to be credible, I was not found to be a refugee and my claim was denied. I initiated an appeal with the RAD but before my appeal was heard - I became a permanent resident through common law sponsorship.
I received my COPR and soon after I received my PR card. Once I received my PR card I withdrew the refugee appeal.
Yesterday I went to the CBSA office on Georgia St in Vancouver to change my reporting conditions now that I’m a PR. I had to fill in a form and email to get my passports back.

now the problem - I mentioned that I may need to return to my home country as anemergency. My grandmother passed away and my mother is falling apart. She needs me so much. I asked if there would be any problem with me visiting and they didn’t like that I asked this. The lady got quite mad about it and she even asked if my refugee claim was fraudulent. Absolutely not.My story is long and complicated. I will never live In my home country EVER again. I’m terrified too. This is different though. I want to quietly return home, stay in my mums house for 4-5 days and not leave and then come home to Canada.

If I go home, will I get arrested on my return? Bear in mind, I didn’t get PR through the refugee process, I got it through sponsorship. Am I legally allowed to go home or can I not go?

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
Hello,

I need to return to my home country and I’m afraid of what trouble it could bring my way.
I applied as a refugee claimant almost 2 years ago. At my hearing, even though the board member found my claim to be credible, I was not found to be a refugee and my claim was denied. I initiated an appeal with the RAD but before my appeal was heard - I became a permanent resident through common law sponsorship.
I received my COPR and soon after I received my PR card. Once I received my PR card I withdrew the refugee appeal.
Yesterday I went to the CBSA office on Georgia St in Vancouver to change my reporting conditions now that I’m a PR. I had to fill in a form and email to get my passports back.

now the problem - I mentioned that I may need to return to my home country as anemergency. My grandmother passed away and my mother is falling apart. She needs me so much. I asked if there would be any problem with me visiting and they didn’t like that I asked this. The lady got quite mad about it and she even asked if my refugee claim was fraudulent. Absolutely not.My story is long and complicated. I will never live In my home country EVER again. I’m terrified too. This is different though. I want to quietly return home, stay in my mums house for 4-5 days and not leave and then come home to Canada.

If I go home, will I get arrested on my return? Bear in mind, I didn’t get PR through the refugee process, I got it through sponsorship. Am I legally allowed to go home or can I not go?
you can travel home without issues as you got PR from sponsorship not as a protected person. Good Luck but on PR Canada Gov won't be responsible if anything happens with you in your country you can't get counselor service as you are not a citizen..

Reactions: scylla

Aboje

May 6, 2023
Ontario
Hello,

Even if you get your pr as protected person and you come back no one arrested you
But CBSA wil fill claim against you and it will schedule hearing to ask you why you come back and what are the reasons and if you prove it’s emergency nothing will happen

It’s not my opinion it’s Law

But my opinion in your case, I think nothing will happen and no one ask you

I’m sorry for your lost stay strong

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello,

So your refugee claim was fake?