+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of pgwp

thealchewmist

Dec 25, 2023
I need to extend my pgwp due to passport expiry. On the IRCC website, it says that pgwp extension due to passport expiry should be done via paper application. I also called an IRCC agent that said the pgwp extension due to passport expiry should be done via paper application. Now, I am confused because I have read through this forum and seen people that did pgwp extension due to passport expiry through online application, and they were approved. I actually prefer the one application because it is more convenient but I need you guys opinion. Should I proceed with the paper application or I should do the online application?

Thanks.

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
I need to extend my pgwp due to passport expiry. On the IRCC website, it says that pgwp extension due to passport expiry should be done via paper application. I also called an IRCC agent that said the pgwp extension due to passport expiry should be done via paper application. Now, I am confused because I have read through this forum and seen people that did pgwp extension due to passport expiry through online application, and they were approved. I actually prefer the one application because it is more convenient but I need you guys opinion. Should I proceed with the paper application or I should do the online application?

Thanks.
I had a similar case. I used paper application for extending my pgwp with new passport. I don’t think the website will allow / route you to go through online option. I too would have preferred online.
PGWP extension by public policy are different and can be applied online. That could have been one of the reason for the confusion.
But you should check with others. I’ll be surprised if you get online option in your case.

LEASON23

Oct 17, 2023
I had a similar case. I used paper application for extending my pgwp with new passport. I don’t think the website will allow / route you to go through online option. I too would have preferred online.
PGWP extension by public policy are different and can be applied online. That could have been one of the reason for the confusion.
But you should check with others. I’ll be surprised if you get online option in your case.
Hi, I am also applying for PGWP Extension on paper with my new passport. I found two checklists on IRCC, one is IMM 5556 the other is 5583, which one did you use?
And did you mail your transcript and graduation letter as well? Thank you so much!

thealchewmist

Dec 25, 2023
Pgwp paper application due to passport expiry

Hello guys,

I have applied to extend my pgwp due to passport expiry. My paper application got to IRCC on Jan 4th according to tracking on canada post. Last week, I sent a webform to confirm if it has been received and uploaded to their system. I also called IRCC agent to check, they both said my application is not yet on their system.

I am getting worried about this because I need a way to track my applications. I wanted to apply online initially but it said on their website that pgwp extension due to passport expiry application has to be on paper, I also called IRCC to confirm this. But it has been almost two weeks since my application got to them and I haven't even gotten an AOR.

Has anybody submitted a paper application for pgwp extension due to passport expiry recently?

If yes, how long did it take to get AOR and how long did it take altogether to get a final decision on your application?

I initially got 10 months which expires in May and I have still not gotten a full time job in my field and I also know that employers may not hire me cus the current work permit I have expires in May.

I'm getting depressed about all these.

Can someone help with suggestions?

Thanks.

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
Hi, I am also applying for PGWP Extension on paper with my new passport. I found two checklists on IRCC, one is IMM 5556 the other is 5583, which one did you use?
And did you mail your transcript and graduation letter as well? Thank you so much!
I had filled IMM 5583, I don’t remember if I had seen IMM 5556 that time. Your starting questionnaire will lead to either of the form (not both). IMM 5583 title says student applying for work permit where IMM 5556 states worker.

LEASON23

Oct 17, 2023
I had filled IMM 5583, I don’t remember if I had seen IMM 5556 that time. Your starting questionnaire will lead to either of the form (not both). IMM 5583 title says student applying for work permit where IMM 5556 states worker.
Thank you so much! So you also mail your transcript and school letter to IRCC office right? I saw they were listed in the checklist

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
Thank you so much! So you also mail your transcript and school letter to IRCC office right? I saw they were listed in the checklist
Yep, pretty much similar to original pgwp requirements plus new and old passport ( front and back pages along with all stamped pages).

thealchewmist

Dec 25, 2023
Pgwp paper application due to passport expiry

Hello guys,

I have applied to extend my pgwp due to passport expiry. My paper application got to IRCC on Jan 4th according to tracking on canada post. Last week, I sent a webform to confirm if it has been received and uploaded to their system. I also called IRCC agent to check, they both said my application is not yet on their system.

I am getting worried about this because I need a way to track my applications. I wanted to apply online initially but it said on their website that pgwp extension due to passport expiry application has to be on paper, I also called IRCC to confirm this. But it has been almost two weeks since my application got to them and I haven't even gotten an AOR.

Has anybody submitted a paper application for pgwp extension due to passport expiry recently?

If yes, how long did it take to get AOR and how long did it take altogether to get a final decision on your application?

I initially got 10 months which expires in May and I have still not gotten a full time job in my field and I also know that employers may not hire me cus the current work permit I have expires in May.

I'm getting depressed about all these.

Can someone help with suggestions?

Thanks.
@AndyT can you give info on this?

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
@AndyT can you give info on this?
Just keep the proof of Canada post delivery date confirmation and you’ll be fine. Technically your application is in process( just not in the system yet).That date arguably will be treated as application submission ( IRCC even goes 7 days back before the courier delivery date). I wasn’t able to link the paper application to my IRCC account but wasn’t bothered as I was confident about my submitted application. It took around 6-7 months for my file to approve. It will take while to reflect in the system due to heavy volume of applications. Call IRCC after some time, preferably after 2-3 weeks from now. And they will let you know if it is uploaded in the system or not.
You can take the print out from IRCC where it states that you can work while your application is in process. It is a big task to explain the interviewer about your scenario but there will be odd ones where you will be able to convince them.

thealchewmist

Dec 25, 2023
Just keep the proof of Canada post delivery date confirmation and you’ll be fine. Technically your application is in process( just not in the system yet).That date arguably will be treated as application submission ( IRCC even goes 7 days back before the courier delivery date). I wasn’t able to link the paper application to my IRCC account but wasn’t bothered as I was confident about my submitted application. It took around 6-7 months for my file to approve. It will take while to reflect in the system due to heavy volume of applications. Call IRCC after some time, preferably after 2-3 weeks from now. And they will let you know if it is uploaded in the system or not.
You can take the print out from IRCC where it states that you can work while your application is in process. It is a big task to explain the interviewer about your scenario but there will be odd ones where you will be able to convince them.
Wow, it took 6-7months for you to be approved? That's so long! When did you apply and when did you get your approval?

If you were not able to link your application, how were you able to track the process of your application and how did you know when you were approved? Did they just send you an email or it was posted to you by mail? @AndyT

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
Wow, it took 6-7months for you to be approved? That's so long! When did you apply and when did you get your approval?

If you were not able to link your application, how were you able to track the process of your application and how did you know when you were approved? Did they just send you an email or it was posted to you by mail? @AndyT
Applied in the first week of Mar 2023. Received request to book biometrics by the end of July. Booked biometrics appointment for 22nd Aug and received extension approval on 1st Sep 2023 through email( they have your email as your application contains your email id). You can talk to IRCC to know whether your application is in process or not but you cannot get exact details as agent cannot access the file. Try linking the application with your account. I didn’t tried that time but am gonna try this weekend to link my public policy 2023 extension application which is in process.

thealchewmist

Dec 25, 2023
Applied in the first week of Mar 2023. Received request to book biometrics by the end of July. Booked biometrics appointment for 22nd Aug and received extension approval on 1st Sep 2023 through email( they have your email as your application contains your email id). You can talk to IRCC to know whether your application is in process or not but you cannot get exact details as agent cannot access the file. Try linking the application with your account. I didn’t tried that time but am gonna try this weekend to link my public policy 2023 extension application which is in process.
I'm curious, I thought biometrics lasted for ten years after the time you first take it, why did they ask you to take it again?

You are so lucky to get the public policy extension too.

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
I'm curious, I thought biometrics lasted for ten years after the time you first take it, why did they ask you to take it again?

You are so lucky to get the public policy extension too.
Yes, it will last for 10 years. This was my first biometrics. We were waived off during 2020 due to Covid.

Xyz_789

Jan 24, 2024
Hi everyone, is there anybody here who applied in second half of 2023? How long it took your file to be approved? My file submission date shows 19 September 2023. My file is still under process.