+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending Work Permit...

pmenon

Apr 5, 2012
LMO.....

I came to canada as a student and went to the chef school in toronto for a one year full time course, soon after i graduated I got this job as a line cook with my employer, Post my post graduate work permit in July 2010 i got a work permit for 2 years which is expiring this july 2012.. I have already applied for PR under CEC category....Wondering if I can re apply for my an extension on my work permit which will give me time between my work permit and my Permanent Resident status.... I am worried if i dont get a positive work permit .....

Please Advise!!!!

Thank You..

MarkParker

Nov 25, 2011
When did you apply under the CEC program?
Have you received a letter from the CEC program saying that you've been approved in principle, or pending a final decision?

tozo

Jul 14, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
my friend had a post graduate work permit which valid for a year and she tried to extend it but the cic requested LMO from her and she could not provide one so CIC refused her application and in the letter ask her to leave canada.........currently she is out of status because all document have expired.....last week she got an employer who is prepared to apply LMO for her so she can apply for a work permit....now am wondering whats are her options now and how will this work since cic have ask her to leave canada and also out of status ........whats are her options now ...please advice.

jass_virgoan

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
06-05-2012
AOR Received.
01-08-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-08-2012
Med's Done....
28-08-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14 Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
ALREADY IN CANADA
tozo said:
my friend had a post graduate work permit which valid for a year and she tried to extend it but the cic requested LMO from her and she could not provide one so CIC refused her application and in the letter ask her to leave canada.........currently she is out of status because all document have expired.....last week she got an employer who is prepared to apply LMO for her so she can apply for a work permit....now am wondering whats are her options now and how will this work since cic have ask her to leave canada and also out of status ........whats are her options now ...please advice.
She can apply for restoration of status .... if its not more than 90 days since her visa expired...

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The employer should apply for the LMO but note that:

1. if this is the same employer she worked for with her post graduate work permit, they don't have to show recruiment efforts(i.e. that no Canadian citizen or permanent resident could do the job)

2. if it's a new employer, they have to show recruitment efforts - so post the job for a minimum of 14 days, etc - read the LMO guidelines for employers and employeees for more information.

3. if LMO is approved, she can apply for a new work permit and restoration of status at the same time.

As long as the work permit application, LMO, etc is submitted to CIC before 90 days from the date her work permit expired, she should be ok. If not, she is out of luck and will have to leave Canada.

tozo said:

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
The employer should apply for the LMO but note that:

1. if this is the same employer she worked for with her post graduate work permit, they don't have to show recruiment efforts(i.e. that no Canadian citizen or permanent resident could do the job)

2. if it's a new employer, they have to show recruitment efforts - so post the job for a minimum of 14 days, etc - read the LMO guidelines for employers and employeees for more information.

3. if LMO is approved, she can apply for a new work permit and restoration of status at the same time.

As long as the work permit application, LMO, etc is submitted to CIC before 90 days from the date her work permit expired, she should be ok. If not, she is out of luck and will have to leave Canada.
#2 is incorrect. There is no requirement about new employer vs. same employer applying for LMO with expiring PGWP permits.

jass_virgoan

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
06-05-2012
AOR Received.
01-08-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-08-2012
Med's Done....
28-08-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14 Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
ALREADY IN CANADA
rjessome said:
#2 is incorrect. There is no requirement about new employer vs. same employer applying for LMO with expiring PGWP permits.
rjessome is correct. I got new LMO after my PGWP expired without any recruitment efforts.

Jass