+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending stay as visitor with spousal sponsorship application in progress

allawi

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello everyone,

If a visitor (spouse to be sponsored) is staying in Canada on a valid temporary visa while the spousal sponsorship application is in process, do they need to apply to extend their stay beyond the 6 months visit period for $100? Or are they allowed to stay in Canada past the 6 months visit period on implied status? The visa itself is valid till end of next year but it's my understanding that visitors need to leave after 6 months have passed regardless.

The only correspondence they've received regarding spousal sponsorship is a reminder to pay biometric fees which is the first step.

TIA!

Haideen

Jan 8, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
12-02-2020
Med's Request
26-02-2020
Med's Done....
03-03-2020
Hi,

If you are in Canada on a 6 month visitor visa, and want to stay beyond 6 months you must apply for the extension.

I am currently a visitor with an ongoing spousal sponsorship application in process and am applying for an extension via a representative. Once you submit the extension application you can stay in Canada on implied status until the extension is approved.

allawi

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hi,

If you are in Canada on a 6 month visitor visa, and want to stay beyond 6 months you must apply for the extension.

I am currently a visitor with an ongoing spousal sponsorship application in process and am applying for an extension via a representative. Once you submit the extension application you can stay in Canada on implied status until the extension is approved.
Thank you for your response. I see on CIC website that you need to apply for visitor record at least 30 days before status expires. The visitor in question is only 7 days away from the 6 months mark. Would that be an issue?

bian07

May 19, 2017
Thank you for your response. I see on CIC website that you need to apply for visitor record at least 30 days before status expires. The visitor in question is only 7 days away from the 6 months mark. Would that be an issue?
No, the 30 days is just a guideline but its not a must people have applied for it 30 minutes before their stay expires (personally wouldn't recommend because technology can be faulty so I'd latest do it a day earlier)

Haideen

Jan 8, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
12-02-2020
Med's Request
26-02-2020
Med's Done....
03-03-2020
My guess is that as long as submission happens before expiry that’s okay. I think the 30 day before expiry for the application is more of a recommendation. Either way, best to get the application submitted ASAP

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
No, the 30 days is just a guideline but its not a must people have applied for it 30 minutes before their stay expires (personally wouldn't recommend because technology can be faulty so I'd latest do it a day earlier)
It's not when you apply, it's when they receive it. They must recieve it before your stay expires, 30 days is just a suggestion.

allawi

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hi,

How would you answer the question asking how long you're planning to stay?

The visitor in question will be staying permanently potentially, assuming the spousal sponsorship application goes through. What is the best way to answer this?

JAZAMA88

May 14, 2020
Hi! I was wondering, has anyone received the acknowledgement letter after the biometrics (that they’re not collecting) letter this days?
thanks!!!

allawi

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
How would you answer the question asking how long you're planning to stay?

The visitor in question will be staying permanently potentially, assuming the spousal sponsorship application goes through. What is the best way to answer this?
Anyone? :)