+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending PGWP upto the 3 year Maximum (Due to Passport Renewal)

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
Hello, Good Morning,

I graduated from a 2 year program from a Canadian Institution in 2016 and am eligible for the PGWPP (Post Graduate Work Permit Program). I was awarded the PGWP in June of last year (2016) but since my passport expires this year (October 2017), the PGWP was provided uptill passport expiry.

I have applied for a new passport booklet and have now been provided the same, that is, I now have a fresh passport booklet valid for the next 10 years.

I wanted to know if I could apply for an extension of my PGWP for the remainder of the total 3 year duration (So, from October 2017 till June 2019)?
Or have I lost the chance and do I need to apply for extension with the help of my employer? I am aware that the PGWP is a one-time opportunity only uptill a maximum of 3 years... so hence was wondering.

I would appreciate any help in this regard and under what category do I fill out my work permit form?
Please let me know if I need to clarify further?

Regards,
Karan

thepilot

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VO Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
Med's Request
01-07-2016
Med's Done....
10-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
karandas.p@gmail.com said:
Hello, Good Morning,

I graduated from a 2 year program from a Canadian Institution in 2016 and am eligible for the PGWPP (Post Graduate Work Permit Program). I was awarded the PGWP in June of last year (2016) but since my passport expires this year (October 2017), the PGWP was provided uptill passport expiry.

I have applied for a new passport booklet and have now been provided the same, that is, I now have a fresh passport booklet valid for the next 10 years.

I wanted to know if I could apply for an extension of my PGWP for the remainder of the total 3 year duration (So, from October 2017 till June 2019)?
Or have I lost the chance and do I need to apply for extension with the help of my employer? I am aware that the PGWP is a one-time opportunity only uptill a maximum of 3 years... so hence was wondering.

I would appreciate any help in this regard and under what category do I fill out my work permit form?

Regards,
Karan
Read PGWP, it says whether it can be extended or not.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello, Good Morning,

Regards,
Karan
1. It would appear (if your program was eligible) all you have to do is extend your PGWP with attached note stating it was issued to the expiry of your old passport. Include a copy of your new passport, and you will get the remaining time for PGWP. You fill out an extension of work permit application.

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
Hello, Good Morning,

Regards,
Karan
my frnd was in the same situation n she jst extended hers even though her old work permit was valid until july 2017 she was able to get the remainder 18 months that she dint get initially, u will be fine jst submit the application online properly. u jst need ur new passport n ur pic n work permit, also write a letter of explanation stating why u r extending it

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
Thank you very much for all your responses.

I'm glad to hear it, and I shall proceed as suggested,

Thank You & Have a Great Day,
Regards,
Karan

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
Hello Again,

I actually realised that I am currently not able to apply for PGWP Extension online.
Is the paper application the only way? I was unable to apply for work permit based on the questionnaire that is shown through MyCIC.

Can anyone please advise?

Regards,
Karan

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
maria_786 said:
my frnd was in the same situation n she jst extended hers even though her old work permit was valid until july 2017 she was able to get the remainder 18 months that she dint get initially, u will be fine jst submit the application online properly. u jst need ur new passport n ur pic n work permit, also write a letter of explanation stating why u r extending it
Hi Maria_786:
I am unable to find out how to request for this online .... The questionnaire in MyCIC does not allow me to apply for an extension without a Labor Market Opinion ... which has nothing to do with my PGWP ....
Can you please advise how the process can be done online?

Regards,
Karan

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
yes u need to select temporary permit instead of worker option when u r going thru the questions it asks u whats ur currecnt status worked student or temporary permit holder select that n u will be fine

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
maria_786 said:
yes u need to select temporary permit instead of worker option when u r going thru the questions it asks u whats ur currecnt status worked student or temporary permit holder select that n u will be fine
Thank you for your reply.
I selected me current status as a temporary permit holder and finally was provided with 3 options after the questionnaire.

1. Extend my stay as a Temporary Permit Holder [CONTINUE]
2. Temporary Resident Permit (With Open Work Permit) [CONTINUE]
3. Temporary Resident Permit (With Work Permit) [CONTINUE]

I have selected #2 as it gave me a checklist of documents to upload, I guess I can attach my scanned current Work Permit to my passport PDF and upload it all together as one document?

(I tried #1 but it does not have any online option, just some links to application guide and no online application)

I hope this works ...
Thanks,

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
Thank you for your reply.
I selected me current status as a temporary permit holder and finally was provided with 3 options after the questionnaire.

1. Extend my stay as a Temporary Permit Holder [CONTINUE]
2. Temporary Resident Permit (With Open Work Permit) [CONTINUE]
3. Temporary Resident Permit (With Work Permit) [CONTINUE]

I have selected #2 as it gave me a checklist of documents to upload, I guess I can attach my scanned current Work Permit to my passport PDF and upload it all together as one document?

(I tried #1 but it does not have any online option, just some links to application guide and no online application)

I hope this works ...
Thanks,
yes select 2nd option n then u upload ur passport under travel document n for ur work permit separately under current status i believe

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
maria_786 said:
yes select 2nd option n then u upload ur passport under travel document n for ur work permit separately under current status i believe
Hi Maria,

Unfortunately, there is no current status option in the page where I upload ,my documents!

Because I was under the impression that I append my Work Permit to my new passport and upload it as one single PDF....

Can you please clarify?
I searched Canadavisa's other posts and the only option by someone else is that there must be a paper application ...

karandas.p@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016
maria_786 said:
It asks me to upload:
1. IMM5710
2. Passport
3. Digital Photo
4. Schedule1
5. Letter of Explanation

Nothing else... there is no option to upload current status or anything like that ....
Can you please suggest ?

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
It asks me to upload:
1. IMM5710
2. Passport
3. Digital Photo
4. Schedule1
5. Letter of Explanation

Nothing else... there is no option to upload current status or anything like that ....
Can you please suggest ?
i jst chked with my frnd she also didnt upload the current status n she sd its fine they have a record of it but if u want jst in case u can upload along with passport in one pdf file