+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended coop

majos

Jul 24, 2023
Hi I am an international student.my first course is coming to an end in August. I am currently doing my coop of 4 months.my course is a 3 semester course with one semester coop.the place iam doing my coop is giving me another 4 months( from sep to dec).but I am starting my second course in jan.so these 4 months will be my break and I am able to work.my question is can I work as a coop.i really want to continue working here.what if they insist they only want a coop student, can I continue it as a coop.if I continue as a coop would that be a problem.i will still be in my study permit.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
No, you're not able to work between courses
As far as I know a student is allowed to work during their break between studies. The OP could continue to work there but not as a Co-op student, meaning they would have to be paid at least minimum wage if Co-op is different than that. Why are you saying no, am I missing something?

Reactions: majos

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
You mean the HR of the company you were working for? You can't continue being considered a Co-op student as you have for the last semester, your Co-op is over. If the company wants to hire you to work during your break, that is no problem but it has nothing to do with the Co-op placement you have completed.