+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry major confusion - Please help

dopelemon

Jul 29, 2020
Hi all,

I'm very confused and a little lost in my Express Entry application process. Please help me if you can.

Little about me:

- Graduated with a (full time) 2 years Master's degree from within Canada (BC)
- Recently appeared for English test (IELTS) where I scored CLB 8 (OR L: 8, S: 7.5, W: 7, R: 6.5)
- I have in total of 19 months of work experience (outside Canada) where I have 14 months of 'continuous work experience'
- After graduating, I've currently applied for PGWP
- I already have a job offer (from NOC: A) and I'm currently working full-time (3 months till date) on an implied status.

- I do not know or understand about it being supported by LMIA or exempted (as 50 points depend on this question on CRS calculator)
- I calculated my FSW score which comes to 69 If I do not add points for 'Job Offer' (or 74).
- With my current case: (maybe I miscalculated because of my limited understanding)
- If I add 50 points by answering 'Yes' to having a valid offer (which I do, but I don't think it is LMIA supported) my CRS score is 482, whereas
- If I do not add my CRS score comes down to 432
- I'm definitely not eligible for CEC, am I eligible for FSW anyhow?

What do you all think would be the best time for me to apply for a Canadian PR?
- After my PGWP approval?
- After successfully completing 1 year of Canadian Work Experience?
- OR another situation?

Please let me know if you need any further details to help me solve my confusion.

Thank you for your time.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, you need an LMIA to claim points for a valid job offer.

The cutoff on the FSW grid is 67 points so you are good to go there, but your CRS score is too low to be drawn. Your best bet will be to complete a year of skilled work experience in Canada on your PGWP . It doesn't need to be continuous. Then you will be eligible for the CEC with likely enough points to get an ITA, and in fact at that point you cannot apply as a FSW even if you wanted to.