+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry, Common law partner application

Forsberg21

Apr 12, 2017
Hi all,

My GF and I are currently in the process of planning to immigrate to Canada.

We have been living together for 11 Months as of today, and we are therefore not sure how to proceed with the EE applications. We would like to get it started as soon as possible.

Should we wait for 1 more month, and then apply together as common law partners, or can we, as I have read something about somewhere else, start her application as a single. Wait for her to receive her ITA, and then add me to her APR. Or did I misunderstand this part?

If we decide to wait 1 more month and apply as common law partners would I then also need to have my education assessed (another 3 month wait), and take the language tests? (also long wait time)?

Considered the points above, what would be the quickest and best solution for us in terms of applying for EE?

Thanks in advance for a very helpfuld forum.

Best

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

My GF and I are currently in the process of planning to immigrate to Canada.

We have been living together for 11 Months as of today, and we are therefore not sure how to proceed with the EE applications. We would like to get it started as soon as possible.

Should we wait for 1 more month, and then apply together as common law partners, or can we, as I have read something about somewhere else, start her application as a single. Wait for her to receive her ITA, and then add me to her APR. Or did I misunderstand this part?

If we decide to wait 1 more month and apply as common law partners would I then also need to have my education assessed (another 3 month wait), and take the language tests? (also long wait time)?

Considered the points above, what would be the quickest and best solution for us in terms of applying for EE?

Thanks in advance for a very helpfuld forum.

Best
Hi

If she submits her EE file now as single and you become common-law before e-APR, she will need to amend her profile and her points will be recalculated. If you become common-law after e-APR, she can add you to her PR app and her points will not be recalculated.

As a dependent, you are not required to have your education assessed or to do a language test.

Forsberg21

Apr 12, 2017
Hi Canuck_in_uk,

Thanks for your reply.

The situation is now that she actually received the ITA today. And AS OF this Satuday (August 5th) - We will become common law partners, as we have officially lived together for 1 year.

We are now wondering if we should wait with doing the e-APR, till after Saturday, or if it is better to do the e-APR now, and then add me to the PR app. following? Does it make any difference?

By the way, we will not fall below the cutoff points either way.

(Also e-APR is not the same as PR app, correct?)

Thank you very much!

Best

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Canuck_in_uk,

Thanks for your reply.

The situation is now that she actually received the ITA today. And AS OF this Satuday (August 5th) - We will become common law partners, as we have officially lived together for 1 year.

We are now wondering if we should wait with doing the e-APR, till after Saturday, or if it is better to do the e-APR now, and then add me to the PR app. following? Does it make any difference?

By the way, we will not fall below the cutoff points either way.

(Also e-APR is not the same as PR app, correct?)

Thank you very much!

Best
If you are sure that she won't go below the points cutoff with you included, then it doesn't really matter which option you choose. It would probably be simpler to apply with you included.

e-APR = electronic application for permanent residence.