+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry / BOWP / Implied Status

kennethdunn

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey Guys,
Need some help for a friend.
He has received an ITA and is waiting for one more document and then can submit his application.

The problem is his work permit has just expired, while waiting for varies police certificates.
A paper application has been sent for a work permit extension to buy some time and I guess he is on implied status.

What's the deal submitting a EE application on implied status?
Can it be done?

Once He get AOR, I am think he can apply for a bridging work permit.

Please can anyone give any input.
It will help a great deal and is really appreciated.
Cheers

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
I am on implied status and I have applied for express entry. I know for a fact that there is no problem applying while on implied status. I also applied to PNP when I am on implied status. Ontario told me they review my application and once I get my work permit I should send it to them. So no worries for your friend!

mathewredfearn

May 10, 2015
Hi guys I've I a similar post about this myself. I've spoken to 2 very reputable immergration lawyers in Toronto who both told me that as long as a application is paid for and sent before the end of your current visa you will be on implied status until a decision is made. The fact that you are on the IEC dosent matter...it's still a open work permit and therefor has the same rules. No where on the CIC site does it say if you are on IEC you won't have implied status if you apply for a change in your condition

Kiki10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-09-2015
mathewredfearn said:
Hi guys I've I a similar post about this myself. I've spoken to 2 very reputable immergration lawyers in Toronto who both told me that as long as a application is paid for and sent before the end of your current visa you will be on implied status until a decision is made. The fact that you are on the IEC dosent matter...it's still a open work permit and therefor has the same rules. No where on the CIC site does it say if you are on IEC you won't have implied status if you apply for a change in your condition
Actually there is....

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=942&t=25

I am currently in Canada with a work permit issued under IEC. My employer would like me to continue working after my permit expires. What should I do?

You cannot renew or extend a work permit under IEC over the maximum time allowed for your country. If your current employer would like you to stay, you may be able to apply for a new work permit through another program. Complete the Come to Canada questionnaire to determine if you meet the requirements. Your employer will need to have a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada before you can apply for a new work permit.

If your country of citizenship allows multiple participations, and you still meet the IEC eligibility criteria, you may be able to apply for a second participation. There may be a set amount of time you need to wait before applying again. Check the eligibility criteria for your country of citizenship to find out.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kennethdunn said:
Hey Guys,
Need some help for a friend.
He has received an ITA and is waiting for one more document and then can submit his application.

The problem is his work permit has just expired, while waiting for varies police certificates.
A paper application has been sent for a work permit extension to buy some time and I guess he is on implied status.

What's the deal submitting a EE application on implied status?
Can it be done?

Once He get AOR, I am think he can apply for a bridging work permit.

Please can anyone give any input.
It will help a great deal and is really appreciated.
Cheers
He can submit the EE application while on implied no problem. He can't apply for a bridging though because to do so, your visa needs to be valid.
Kiki10 said:
Actually there is....

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=942&t=25

I am currently in Canada with a work permit issued under IEC. My employer would like me to continue working after my permit expires. What should I do?

You cannot renew or extend a work permit under IEC over the maximum time allowed for your country. If your current employer would like you to stay, you may be able to apply for a new work permit through another program. Complete the Come to Canada questionnaire to determine if you meet the requirements. Your employer will need to have a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada before you can apply for a new work permit.

If your country of citizenship allows multiple participations, and you still meet the IEC eligibility criteria, you may be able to apply for a second participation. There may be a set amount of time you need to wait before applying again. Check the eligibility criteria for your country of citizenship to find out.
yes you can't extend IEC, but you get implied status from an IEC when you've applied for a different work permit, ie. bridging permit. its a legal loophole but its fine.

Kiki10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-09-2015
purplesnow said:
yes you can't extend IEC, but you get implied status from an IEC when you've applied for a different work permit, ie. bridging permit. its a legal loophole but its fine.
Purplesnow, could you please explain as I am lost now......

I am on IEC which expires very soon. I am waiting for an LMIA but I will not receive it before IEC expires. What are my options? I thought the only option I have is to change my status to visitor and wait for an LMIA. Can I actually apply for something else while waiting?

Please help!!!

Cri_22

Aug 7, 2015
hamoonExpressEntry said:
I am on implied status and I have applied for express entry. I know for a fact that there is no problem applying while on implied status. I also applied to PNP when I am on implied status. Ontario told me they review my application and once I get my work permit I should send it to them. So no worries for your friend!
Hi Hamoon, you were working at the time you applied for the EE in implied status?

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
Yes I am working and I am on implied status. I have a profile with score 448, and also applied for OOPNP.