11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
KazInAz said:
We never had to pay 100$ excise tax on the a/c. we imported 2 cars and it was never asked about. We were also told we could not sell the vehicles for ONE YEAR after importing or we were have to pay tax and duty on them.
We crossed at Lewiston bridge in Ontario.

Kaz
I had a similar experience, but with only one car.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
QCSunshine said:
I have heard this too. Well, actually two separate things related to this.

1. That it was illegal for a Canadian person to drive a car that a US person has in Canada as a visitor. (Especially if if the US person is not in the car with the Canadian.) I heard the car can be confiscated on the spot if a Canadian is driving a US visitor's car and the US citizen is not there. I don't know if this is true, but it did concern us some after we heard about this.

Just to clarify....what I meant by that is that I was told that a Canadian is not supposed to drive a US car if it has been brought in temporarily (without importing it) by a visitor to Canada and has US plates. Apparently, temporarily imported things by visitors are not supposed to be used by Canadians: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s2

I don't know how strict they are about that though, especially for US-Canadian couples dealing with immigration...

As far as how long one can drive on a US drivers license after landing, I think that probably varies by province. In Québec, for example, I think they allow six months to switch a US license to a Quebec one. It took me three months to get the paperwork together and have my appointment. (I had to re-schedule once, because of not getting the right paperwork in time from the US, and each time I called they had only 2 appointments still available for that next month for transferring a US license.) Other provinces could have much different timelines and procedures, as some have mentioned.

mmshock

Star Member
Jan 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Done....
11-02-2011
Passport Req..
30-08-2011
LANDED..........
08-09-2011
Three months!?! My goodness..... which province?

I was told on the phone by the Ontario MOT that I had 45 days to switch my license upon landing. Some states require an abstract, but apparently the one I have a license from does not. I printed out my drivers record that I could request online just in case, but we'll see I guess.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It was Québec. But the timing is just a matter of how circumstances happened: I needed a drivers history report from the state of my license, so I had to request that. Right after I mailed off the request, there was the postal lockout. So....that delayed things a few weeks.

Then, the DMV office in my former state that processes those requests mailed mine back to me because my money order (in USD) had too many digits (10) in the serial number and they couldn't process it because their new computer system only allows data entry of money orders with 9 digits. So...I had to mail the forms to my father in the US because he agreed to write a personal check on behalf of me for the processing fee to go to the DMV. Then he mailed the forms to them, and they re-processed it and sent it back to me in Canada. It was frustrating, but perhaps a representative conclusion to the end (I hope!) of immigration-related tasks. Normally, without the weird delays, I guess it would have taken about a month to request and get the right documents back and switch licenses.

lf438701

Jun 15, 2012
canada_dream100 said:
Cool... u deserve Champion Member status...thx again...
will try the no. ....
Hi - could you please share your experience? We plan to land by our own car, but won't import it this time, and will list it as goods to follow. Can we just drive our own car for landing and stay in Canada for couple of days, then back to the US? Any issues? Thanks in advance for your reply!

URIFiggy

Star Member
Jan 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo > Ottawa > LA for finalization
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2012
AOR Received.
01-08-2012 for Stage 1; 07-09-2012 for Stage 2; 10-01-13 for Decision Made
File Transfer...
02-08-2012 to Ottawa; 07-09-2012 to LA
Med's Done....
31-03-2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
13-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Exempt; CPR issued 08-01-2013
LANDED..........
18-03-2013
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but could someone answer me this.

Many people have said that I have to own the car for 6 months before importing it to canada. I have had my car for 3 years but I have had it under a loan during that time. I'm going to be paying off the loan in order to get the title so that I can import it. As far as duty/tax on the vehicle goes, will I have to pay that given that I haven't had the title under my name until now; or, can I show them proof of possessing the car for the past 3 years?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

URIFiggy said:
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but could someone answer me this.

Many people have said that I have to own the car for 6 months before importing it to canada. I have had my car for 3 years but I have had it under a loan during that time. I'm going to be paying off the loan in order to get the title so that I can import it. As far as duty/tax on the vehicle goes, will I have to pay that given that I haven't had the title under my name until now; or, can I show them proof of possessing the car for the past 3 years?
No taxes or duty, you have had the car for 3 years, they aren't interested when you paid off the loan, just the length of time you have had the car.