+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Hi Guys,
So I did some research and all the time in almost all the case scenarios, My car value is showing less If I plan to import to Canada from the US.

For Ex: the 2016 Toyota Camry LE with 65,000 miles is costing me USD $18000 near PA state. the same Exact model, year, and similar kilometer car in CANADA cost CAD$18995, which is equivalent to ~USD $13833.30.
Difference=USD $4166( you can check on cars.com US website and Kijiji /autotrader.ca to compare)

At first, I thought I may be wrong..but I tried with other Brands and models too and all the time my car value is decreased when I import to Canada and plan to sell in a few months or after a year.

So, My question is it worth/ profitable to import a car from the US to Canada?

Last edited:

nehaprasad14

Feb 2, 2020
Hello,

I'll be moving to Canada permanently in February from Seattle, WA to Toronto and have decided to ship my car. I don't intend on driving my car cross country. Does anyone have experience with this? The shipping company I have spoken with, said they'll be delivering the car to a bonded facility in Mississauga from where I'll need to pick up my car. I am confused, since I don't know if in such a case what I should be doing? What steps mentioned in the first post should I follow.

Any advice will help.
Hey did you import your car? I am also planning to move my car from Chicago to Vancouver. Could you please suggest the shipping company you are using and the charges they are asking?

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
I would be surprised to hear that your US car does not require any modification, but if not - it's better/easier for you.

- In Ontario after you get your RIV inspection certificate ( you will get a compliance sticker by mail later) you would need to pass a Safety Inspection ( in many many locations for ~$80CND)
- Would need to get (exchange) your Canadian DL
- Would need to get Proof of Insurance ( cannot get one without Canadian DL and probably without Canadian address)

With these documents ( Vehicle Title (stamped or not by US export office) on your name, RIV Inspection, Safety Inspection, Proof of Insurance and Canadian DL) go to ServiceOntario location ( if in Ontario) and get your car registered and Canadian plated.

You will surrender your US Title and get Canadian Vehicle Registration Card ( green one in Ontario).
Hi
Alex54321
So, Without exchanging the License ( with MI/US License) can I get Insurance and then go to Service Ontario to exchange the DL and Register the vehicle? Because I see that Service Ontario does both things at one time without coming back again and standing in line.
It's like the First
1. I need to exchange my US DL to ON DL>
2. Call the insurance company from the service Ontario staying in line>
3. get the insurance>
4. Register the vehicle

Or I can able to call the Canadian insurance company and check if they can provide me insurance on a US license first for registration purposes and later update the insurance with an ON license?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi
Alex54321
So, Without exchanging the License ( with MI/US License) can I get Insurance and then go to Service Ontario to exchange the DL and Register the vehicle? Because I see that Service Ontario does both things at one time without coming back again and standing in line.
It's like the First
1. I need to exchange my US DL to ON DL>
2. Call the insurance company from the service Ontario staying in line>
3. get the insurance>
4. Register the vehicle

Or I can able to call the Canadian insurance company and check if they can provide me insurance on a US license first for registration purposes and later update the insurance with an ON license?
The Canadian DL and Car registrations are two different things. You can exchange US DL to CAN DL even if you do not have a car, assuming you satisfy exchange requirements.

Not sure about Ontario insurance on US ( not imported to Canada) vehicle, but yes, to register a car you would need to have a proof of insurance.

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
The Canadian DL and Car registrations are two different things. You can exchange US DL to CAN DL even if you do not have a car, assuming you satisfy exchange requirements.

Not sure about Ontario insurance on US ( not imported to Canada) vehicles, but yes, to register a car you would need to have proof of insurance.
Ok Thak you..
One more thing. RIV inspection is online and needs to be done after exporting/importing into Canada by paying an online $C370 fee The safety inspection for registration can be done at Canadian Tire or any locally certified stations. is this correct?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Ok Thak you..
One more thing. RIV inspection is online and needs to be done after exporting/importing into Canada by paying an online $C370 fee The safety inspection for registration can be done at Canadian Tire or any locally certified stations. is this correct?
"RIV inspection is online " - no, the RIV registration/application is online, they generate the form, which you pring and go , for example, to Canadian Tire to do "possible" vehicle modification ( in my case DayTime lights). After modification is done and RIV form is stamped, you do safety inspection ( any certified location). After that with RIV form, Safety Inspection form, Proof of Insurance, US Title and Canadian DL - go to ( if in Ontario) Ontario Service Center to register the car and get the plate. Later RIV will send you the sticker to attach to the door frame.

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Hello Guys,
I am planning to export on one of the weekend/Sundays from Detroit Bridge to Windsor. Did anyone have exported on weekends and from same location? Please share your experience

Thank you

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hello Guys,
I am planning to export on one of the weekend/Sundays from Detroit Bridge to Windsor. Did anyone have exported on weekends and from same location? Please share your experience

Thank you
I did it with two cars ( under the bridge) going there 3 times, but do not remember the day of the week ( second time was on Tuesday, June 23d, 2020 ) , probably on the workday. You can try to check with them - call 313-964-7191 ( or by email: detroitvehicleexport@cbp.dhs.gov ).

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
I did it with two cars ( under the bridge) going there 3 times, but do not remember the day of the week ( second time was on Tuesday, June 23d, 2020 ) , probably on the workday. You can try to check with them - call 313-964-7191 ( or by email: detroitvehicleexport@cbp.dhs.gov ).
Great! I just called.. The officer said you can do it whenever you want if you have all the paper work-ITN, Title and Registration docs.
Thanks Alex

jokerdurden

Star Member
Jun 10, 2019
Hello Guys, This thread is very helpful. I would appreciate it if someone can help with my situation.

I did my soft landing back in December 2020 as a PR and I declared my old car in the goods to follow list, which I sold off in US later. I bought a new car in 2021 in US and I am now moving permanently to Canada in September as a settler. Can someone help me with the below questions:
  • Since my new car is different from the one that I declared in the goods to follow list, do I have to pay tax for the new car?
  • If so, how much will the total tax including Ontario province tax be?
  • Lastly, how will they evaluate my car’s value? Is it based on the current value?
Is anyone in a similar situation? I appreciate your help and suggestions.

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Hello Guys, This thread is very helpful. I would appreciate it if someone can help with my situation.

I did my soft landing back in December 2020 as a PR and I declared my old car in the goods to follow list, which I sold off in US later. I bought a new car in 2021 in US and I am now moving permanently to Canada in September as a settler. Can someone help me with the below questions:
  • Since my new car is different from the one that I declared in the goods to follow list, do I have to pay tax for the new car?
  • Lastly, how will they evaluate my car’s value? Is it based on the current value?
Unfortunately you will have to import the new car paying the proper taxes. The car that you put on the goods to follow list is a different one and it is the only one exempt from import taxes. I am no sure about the amount of taxes for Ontario, but there is probably a good guide on the official website (e.g.: this). For the car value you can check this website (general) or this (more specific for cars).

Hope it helps!

Reactions: jokerdurden

adi1031

Feb 12, 2020

Tax on new car - most likely
Car value - they check kbb.ca or some other resource that they have.

Reactions: jokerdurden

jokerdurden

Star Member
Jun 10, 2019
Unfortunately you will have to import the new car paying the proper taxes. The car that you put on the goods to follow list is a different one and it is the only one exempt from import taxes. I am no sure about the amount of taxes for Ontario, but there is probably a good guide on the official website (e.g.: this). For the car value you can check this website (general) or this (more specific for cars).

Hope it helps!
Thank you. So, do I have to pay the tax amount right away at the Canadian border or I can pay it later?