+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiry of Passport, Application to Post grad work permit

pratham818

Jan 2, 2014
Hello,

I shall be completing a masters program (four academic terms) by June 2014. I understand that I am eligible to get a three year post grad work permit however my passport is expiring in two years. In such case what will happen? will I get a three year work permit stamped on my passport if no what should I do to get the work permit for the remainder year?

Also, If I apply for a permanent resident after 1 year of work experience under canadian experience class, then do I need to get a new passport or can I apply with the same passport which would still have 1 year validity left on it?

Thanks

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A visa can't be longer than the expiration date of the passport.

pratham818

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Can I apply for a new passport and extend my work permit for the remainder year? Do you know which application package do I need to use in this case?

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A PGWP is a one time offer. I presume that means you can't extend it. You better get a new passport first.

pratham818

Jan 2, 2014
My passport expires in Aug 2016, I shall be applying for PGWP in July 2014. I can only apply for a new passport before 1 yr of it's expiry date thus I will have to apply the PGWP first. CIC will issue me the PGWP only until Aug 2016 (expiry date of my passport) whereas I am entitled to have a PGWP valid until July 2017. Thus to apply for the remainder period i.e. from Aug 2016 till July 2017, what do I need to do?

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pratham818 said:
My passport expires in Aug 2016, I shall be applying for PGWP in July 2014. I can only apply for a new passport before 1 yr of it's expiry date thus I will have to apply the PGWP first. CIC will issue me the PGWP only until Aug 2016 (expiry date of my passport) whereas I am entitled to have a PGWP valid until July 2017. Thus to apply for the remainder period i.e. from Aug 2016 till July 2017, what do I need to do?
Ask CIC.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pratham818 said:
I would like to correct the information you have been given or mentioned in the previous posts.
PGWP is not stamped on the passport and has nothing to do with it. If you have a valid passport you will be given 3 year work permit...however, your TRV or visa to re-enter Canada may depend on your passport expiry date.
TRV can easily be renewed once you get your new passport. Dont worry about it. Just so you know some countries like the USA give visa irrespective of passport expiry dates.
All you have to do is carry both the new and old passport when you travel. I have done this in the past.

The same applies to the other person who asked this question,

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vermanaman said:
I would like to correct the information you have been given or mentioned in the previous posts.
PGWP is not stamped on the passport and has nothing to do with it. If you have a valid passport you will be given 3 year work permit...however, your TRV or visa to re-enter Canada may depend on your passport expiry date.
If your passport is valid for another 2 years, how can you be given a 3 year pgwp? They won't give a study permit that is valid longer than the passport so why would they give a PGWP for 3 years if the passport expires before that?

Also, not all international students require TRV. There are plenty of us on this forum who don't.

When it's my time I will have 2 years left on my passport with 3 years of study. If I don't need to renew my passport before I apply for a 3 year PGWP, please let me know and also please supply an official link to support your statement.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
pratham818 said:
Hello,

I shall be completing a masters program (four academic terms) by June 2014. I understand that I am eligible to get a three year post grad work permit however my passport is expiring in two years. In such case what will happen? will I get a three year work permit stamped on my passport if no what should I do to get the work permit for the remainder year?

Also, If I apply for a permanent resident after 1 year of work experience under canadian experience class, then do I need to get a new passport or can I apply with the same passport which would still have 1 year validity left on it?

Thanks
What happened to your case? i am in the same condition...

dushyantpuri

Mar 23, 2013
I am in the same situation and have applied for a work permit extension. Since CIC does not let you apply for an extension for a case like this, you have to do a paper application.
If you have not, apply for a passport extension first and then send you application to Case Processing Center.

Right now the processing times are really long. You can call CIC and talk to them about implied status for more information on you status while your application is in process.

Hope that helps.

THanks,
Dushyant.

DanialArifRauf

Jan 12, 2016
Hello,

I have a similar situation. I graduated from a 2-year program in April 2015, applied for a PGWP in May, and received it by September. The PGWP was only issued up till June 4th, which is the same as the passport expiry date. I know I can renew the passport, and apply again for the PGWP to get the remaining entitled time. My question is, does anyone know what forms we have to fill? Is it the exact same as the first one?

Thank you.

Mohammad Wally

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Dear All,

I will highly suggest those individuals who wants to extent their PGWP to go this thread. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pgwp-extension-t275767.0.html. Don't listen to someone who can not provide correct information. Follow this thread, you will find all the information you need. It's possible and lot of people in this forum has actually did this.

Cheers!

sanyaqaisar

Oct 20, 2015
guys, its my advice to apply your status more than 3 months because I have applied within three months for my post graduate work permit... and I applied in March 30,2015 and after three months they sent me letter that i have to reapply with differwnt fee$100 more.. and I did apply and due to my wedding i cudnt apply on time and I applied in oct8 and guess what, I still dont have answer and its almost year when i applied my application...
they keep changing processing time, now they are working on files which submitted in sept8...
and i am still stuck in My country.. I dont know if somebody has received their PGWP extension .. if anyone has any news regarding this so please send me some recommendation,
thanks

FionaJabberwacky

Jan 17, 2018
I got my PGWP in July 2017 and it expires in march 2017, which is when my old passport was supposed to expire. Now I have a new passport that is valid for another 5 yrs. Can I request the remaining duration of my PGWP? I got less than a year's worth of PGWP. What should I do?