+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring work permit

pranovic

Jul 27, 2011
My wife and I applied for immigration earlier this year. We have received the medical request and AOR. However, my wife is on a one-year open work permit which expires on December 31st of 2011. My current work permit expires in 2013. My wife's status worries me that, if we can't get approved before Dec 31st, what happens? Should we extend her open work permit in late September if we are not sure when the immigration is approved?

Many thanks!

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pranovic said:
My wife and I applied for immigration earlier this year. We have received the medical request and AOR. However, my wife is on a one-year open work permit which expires on December 31st of 2011. My current work permit expires in 2013. My wife's status worries me that, if we can't get approved before Dec 31st, what happens? Should we extend her open work permit in late September if we are not sure when the immigration is approved?

Many thanks!
Hi pranovic,

Your wife needs to have/maintain a legal status in Canada for her to get PR visa. What are her chances of extending her OWP POSITIVELY. Has the employer given any indication that she can continue work after the expiry of the current status? If yes, then you should go ahead and extend it or find another employer who can give her employment and thus continue to maintain her status.

If the above is not possible then she should apply for "Extension of stay and change of status" to either Visitor or student at least 1 month before the expiry of OWP. The latter (Student status) applies if she would enroll herself for any courses. The current processing times for Visitor status is 4-5 months approx during which period she will be in IMPLIED status which is a legal status.

Mitali