+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring G2 license problem

bananaoatmeal

Star Member
Nov 7, 2016
Hello guys. Does anyone know what I can do in this situation?

I got my G1 after turning 16 years old, in August 11 of 2012. Then I got my G2 8 months after. Now, I haven't been living Canada since the December of 2015, because I ran out of status. My license is expiring on August 11 of 2017. I read that after getting a G1, the person has 5 years to get the full G license, otherwise you have to start from scratch after it expires. The thing is, I'm currently being sponsored by my wife in Canada. The application was received on February 22nd. The PR part will be processed in Warsaw, which is known to take around 6 months for most applicants recently. So if everything goes well and the process doesn't take longer (especially that now there is a new process which should be quicker), I will be in Canada around the time of the expiry of my license. And this is a problem because I might get there days or weeks after it expires, then I'd lose it and it would be frustrating, especially that I have lots of driving experience from different countries.

It's very unfortunate that because I took it in August of 2012, it will most likely expire and I will lose it. If I took the G1 knowledge test a few months later then I would be safe now. I would've taken the full G test a long time ago if I was able to live in Canada. But is there anything I can do so that I can take the G road test as soon as possible after arriving in Canada? Let's say that if my license is expiring on August 11th, can I request a full G driving exam online, a few days before it expires? And then for example, I can book it for September or even October, and then get it done and get my full G?

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
You can book the test online but I believe that you will have to do the test before the expiry date. If not you will need to start over. I don't know if you would still need wait between doing to the various tests.