+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR while waiting for Citizenship certificate after oath

fredar

Mar 22, 2022
Hi, I am purchasing a home and I am worried about my status. I have my PR but it was expired and I cut it when I had my citizenship oath. I am still waiting for my certificate. What is my current status? Is it safe to say I am a resident? I have nothing to prove other than pieces of my expired card and my approval of citizenship. Please, help. Thank you!

fredar

Mar 22, 2022
Once you took the oath, you became a citizen. You're no longer a permanent resident
Thank you for your response!
Do they need me to prove it? Is it submitted somewhere so they can find my status when applying for a mortgage or for title transfer?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You should probably check directly with your realtor or your bank in terms of the documents required for mortgage approval
If thery indeed require you to prove your status, I think the best course of action might be to wait till your citizenship certificate arrives

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi, I am purchasing a home and I am worried about my status. I have my PR but it was expired and I cut it when I had my citizenship oath. I am still waiting for my certificate. What is my current status? Is it safe to say I am a resident? I have nothing to prove other than pieces of my expired card and my approval of citizenship. Please, help. Thank you!
1. No, you are a citizen as of the date you took the oath.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
There is a provision for urgent processing for legal reasons. This would qualify, even though you should be getting the certificate anytime now.

Reactions: Deedle

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
There is a provision for urgent processing for legal reasons. This would qualify, even though you should be getting the certificate anytime now.
Oh wow good to know. I take my oath April 2nd and we close on a house on April 12th so perhaps I should mention this at the oath. This didn't even cross my mind.

glennchu

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
You can always give your scanned copy of PR card (which i suppose you should have it) and a copy of your citizenship approval letter. You're a citizen however, banks will accept your expired/old PR card and copy of your citizenship approval as a document to process your mortgage application.

Reactions: Deedle