+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR ! Help

Ezzo90

Jan 12, 2019
Hello I have a question regarding my mom.
I sponsored her in 2014. She got her PR. She lived in Canada for 1 year. Then she had to go back to her home country due to my sister there being sick with cancer. Her PR card is expired now and she is outside Canada. Now i want her to come back live with me as my sister in remission.
Is there a way that her PR card can be renewed or what options do we have for her to come to Canada?
can she come on a visa then re apply for PR?
Please any help and insights are appreciated
Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I sponsored her in 2014. She got her PR. She lived in Canada for 1 year. Then she had to go back to her home country due to my sister there being sick with cancer. Her PR card is expired now and she is outside Canada. Now i want her to come back live with me as my sister in remission.
Is there a way that her PR card can be renewed or what options do we have for her to come to Canada?
Thanks
It's important to understand that her PR has NOT expired. Only a PR card expires. A PR keeps their status until it is renounced or revoked.

She cannot apply to renew her PR card unless she is in Canada. However, since she has not maintained her R.O. (Residency Obligation), even if she could apply, it would likely be refused. Applying for a PRTD (outside of Canada) would also likely fail.

Can she travel to the U.S. and the enter Canada in a private vehicle?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks
First of all happy to hear that your sister is in remission, She would need to apply for a PRTD based on H&C or if she has a US visa she can fly into the US and enter Canada via pRO are car. She will have prove that she has H&C reasons for not meeting her RO and returned as soon as possible. She may or may not be reported for not meeting her RO. She will be able to enter Canada and if reported can try to appeal to attempt to keep her PR status. In terms of proof that she needed to be outside Canada for around 7 years she’ll need to show that your sister was sick the entire time, had no other family that could have supported her so that you could meet your RO, she’ll need to provide medical records showing proof of active treatment, hospitalizations, etc. for the entire period. All letter from her oncologist describing her treatment over the 7 years and why she needed her mother their and what care she needed to provide is a good idea. For example if she needed help showering due to a PICC line or port, if she was not able to drive for medical reasons, etc. You can also bring up difficulty travelling especially before the vaccine was available. As a PR se was able to travel almost all the time throughout the pandemic. PRTD based on H&C can take many months to receive a response. She should apply as soon as possible or return via the US as soon as possible. She should make sure she spends time outting together her evidence for H&C consideration but also return as soon as possible. If approved for a PRAtD via H&C she can apply for a new PR card on arrival. If not reported at the US border trying to apply for a new PR card is risky. The safest option would be to remain in Canada and after 2 years apply for a PR card. Without a valid PR card she will likely have difficulty getting a new health card which I assume may be a concern.

Last edited: