+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired PR card

ellesterbea

May 6, 2016
I became Permanent Resident together with our eldest daughter last December 2005 sponsored by my husband. Being new to foreign land I felt homesick. I was very difficult for me adjusting to the new environment and being a new mom again for our 2nd child. To make my long story short, after I gave birth in 2006, we went back to the Philippines. But my husband stayed there. Before my PR card expired in 2010, we decided to went back to Canada. Because I didnt meet the number of days/yrs residency in Canada, I cant apply for Citizenship so my option is to renew my PR card and I did. But something come up that made me went back again in 2012 to the Philippines without my renewed PR card. My husband and our kids are all citizens. Now my question is HOW CAN I TRAVEL BACK TO CANADA? Do I need to apply as new immigrant or my husband will sponsor me again?
PLs help me... thanks!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well first point is that PR cards may expire but PR does not as some people applying for an ETA found out who had PR early 1980s but didnt keep the residency period going but technically were still PRs but given not meeting residency and had no ties had to renounce formally. The point being that even with an expired PR card you are still considered PR making it difficult to reenter Canada without a PR travel document where you need to demonstrate Canada ties. You said you returned in 2010 and left in 2012 not that it will likely help but how many days ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should apply for a PR travel document. If you get it, you can return to Canada. If you don't get it because they decide that you don't meet the RO and your reasons were not good, then you lose your PR and your husband can sponsor you again.

Kashfool76

Apr 30, 2016
ellesterbea said:
I became Permanent Resident together with our eldest daughter last December 2005 sponsored by my husband. Being new to foreign land I felt homesick. I was very difficult for me adjusting to the new environment and being a new mom again for our 2nd child. To make my long story short, after I gave birth in 2006, we went back to the Philippines. But my husband stayed there. Before my PR card expired in 2010, we decided to went back to Canada. Because I didnt meet the number of days/yrs residency in Canada, I cant apply for Citizenship so my option is to renew my PR card and I did. But something come up that made me went back again in 2012 to the Philippines without my renewed PR card. My husband and our kids are all citizens. Now my question is HOW CAN I TRAVEL BACK TO CANADA? Do I need to apply as new immigrant or my husband will sponsor me again?
PLs help me... thanks!

Hi there,

1) Did your physical stay in Canada during last 5 years from now is minimum 730 days ? If not you automatically lost PR status. Your husband will have to apply for spousal sponsorship PR visa and for sure you will be subject to interview. It is unlikely to allow you PR under humanitarian and compassionatr ground. Don't waste your money on legal fees to revive PR card.

2) If your minimum number of days stands minimum 730 days of more during last 5 years, there will be no problem to get your PR card renewed.

3) Had you been inside Canada with about to expire PR card, you could have easily renewed your PR card by physically staying missing days.