+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card want to renew it...

stevekim

Feb 17, 2012
Hi,

I have expired PR card which expired at Aug 2007. I lived Vancouver 2002 to 2005 about 3.5 years then me and my family moved to USA still now. I'm on F-1 Visa (student visa) in USA.

So my questions are is it still possible to renew my PR card? I know I have to stay in Canada more than 2 years to renew PR Card..
if yes, whats my status in Canada? Can I stay in Canada with my expired PR card to meet my 2 years residency requirements or do I need another specific Visa?
and I'm planning to use private car to enter Canada border if I can renew PR card.. but what should I say if border ask me to how long you will be stay in Vancouver? I'm from Visa exempt country and if I pass the border I will stay Canada for 2 years to meet my residency requirements..

Thank you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
stevekim said:
Hi,

I have expired PR card which expired at Aug 2007. I lived Vancouver 2002 to 2005 about 3.5 years then me and my family moved to USA still now. I'm on F-1 Visa (student visa) in USA.

So my questions are is it still possible to renew my PR card? I know I have to stay in Canada more than 2 years to renew PR Card..
if yes, whats my status in Canada? Can I stay in Canada with my expired PR card to meet my 2 years residency requirements or do I need another specific Visa?
and I'm planning to use private car to enter Canada border if I can renew PR card.. but what should I say if border ask me to how long you will be stay in Vancouver? I'm from Visa exempt country and if I pass the border I will stay Canada for 2 years to meet my residency requirements..

Thank you.
Is your wife by chance a Canadian citizen? If so and you were living with her then you can renew your PR card as soon as you get back to Canada.

But if not, then as you mentioned it's only possible to renew your PR card once you have established 2 years of residency in Canada.

When you try to cross the border by car, you need to tell the CBSA officer you are a returning PR. When they scan your passport, your PR status should be made aware to them on their computer. So one of two things will happen:
1. CBSA will let you back into Canada without reporting you for not meeting residency obligation. In this case you would need to stay in Canada 2 straight years without leaving even once, and then renew your PR card

2. CBSA will establish that you don't meet residency obligation, and will report you to CIC. You will still be allowed into Canada but will then need to meet with CIC a short time later where they will determine if you can keep your PR status, of if they will revoke it.

If you feel you have any reasons that you should be exempted from the RO (such as H&C reasons) then you should show those proofs/evidence to either the CBSA officer or CIC. Of course simply working in the USA, will most likely not be a suitable reason and if reported to CIC you should prepare that your (and families) PR status will be revoked.

stevekim

Feb 17, 2012
Thank you for reply Rob.
I have another question, if I could enter Canada border without any reports, then can I stay and work in Canada with my expired PR card? I have a SIN card. Or do I need to get a specific visa for staying in Canada 2 years?

Thank you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
stevekim said:
Thank you for reply Rob.
I have another question, if I could enter Canada border without any reports, then can I stay and work in Canada with my expired PR card? I have a SIN card. Or do I need to get a specific visa for staying in Canada 2 years?

Thank you.
You are a PR even though you have an expired PR card (or no card at all). You don't need any "visa" to stay in Canada once you are here.

If you aren't reported upon entry, then you should be able to use your SIN to work. I'm not sure though if CRA deactivates people's SIN after extended time of no use.

In case you need any other services (i.e. you will need to qualify for healthcare again), you may find some things difficult with an expired PR card. Having your COPR will also help in some cases. Others can perhaps advise more here.